GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I found my new (CPO) car! Fully loaded 2016 premier with less than 500 miles for less than $31,000!!! I was Leary of a "used" car with that low of mileage but got a response call from the dealership. The car is considered used because it was used for show events, and thus (on the bad side) has had the warranty activated, with around 10 months of the warranty used up. Now on the good side: It has never been registered... so it is eligible for tax incentive! I was told to consult my tax professional on that, but it has been done in the past with no problems. I could drive my crappy rental car out there 7 and a half hours, or just fed ex paperwork back and forth and pay $600 to have it delivered.

Later,

Keith

PS: Yes I was vague on some numbers and no, not telling anyone where it is so they can scoop it out from under me :)

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Hey guys,

I found my new (CPO) car! Fully loaded 2016 premier with less than 500 miles for less than $31,000!!! I was Leary of a "used" car with that low of mileage but got a response call from the dealership. The car is considered used because it was used for show events, and thus (on the bad side) has had the warranty activated, with around 10 months of the warranty used up. Now on the good side: It has never been registered... so it is eligible for tax incentive! I was told to consult my tax professional on that, but it has been done in the past with no problems. I could drive my crappy rental car out there 7 and a half hours, or just fed ex paperwork back and forth and pay $600 to have it delivered.

Later,

Keith

PS: Yes I was vague on some numbers and no, not telling anyone where it is so they can scoop it out from under me :)
Hmm...I would double and triple check whether it's eligible for the $7,500.

FWIW, if you can find a leftover guaranteed new '16, you would likely find it is about the same price, with the 20% rebate still going on.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Hey guys,

Later,

Keith

The CPO is giving me fits. CPO=Certified Pre-owned Owned=Used Car

You better ask for and get a copy of the MSO to protect yourself from the IRS if need be.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not to burst any bubbles here but you can get that price without the dealer even giving you a discount.

Just the tagged 20% off would get you near there as another has already said.

My 2 cents... Buy a new 16 for less, even if that means going further to get one.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Here is the problem. You may very well file and get the $7500 tax credit; however, you simply won't have a leg to stand on without an MSO if the IRS audits you or questions your claim in any way. Your paper work will say USED. I would lose sleep over this, but some people would not.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
So "CPO" usually means "Certified Pre-Owned". Exactly what are they "Certifying"? If it is indeed "Pre-Owned" you are not eligible for federal tax credits. You may want more information from what appears to be a slippery dealer.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no 20% off on 2016 Volts. The Chevy site can fool you that way, they have a LINK to the cars that actually have 20% off on the 2016 Volt offers page... it isn't 20% off on the Volt.

Add in the fact that there is only one "New" 2016 Volt in the country with the features I want (and no extra's beyond that), and it is only eligible for $1000 cash back, OR 0% financing with a list price of over $40,000 even if I can't get the tax incentive I still come out ahead.

Later,

Keith

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello I don't think they would call it used if they didn't take the tax credit credit themselves. There are cars with 1000 and 2000 miles that are being sold as new cars it's the dealer that defines the car as new or used. If you do a title search and there's not a title you should B good. The verbiage from the IRS is really not that clear. I have been looking at this myself. Others have posted this verbiage .
I have a demo with some conflicting documents so I've been looking at this.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
how many NEW 2016's are left eligible for the 20% discount. My dealer is out looking but they will only search a 500 mile radius, so far none of the cars still available interest me. He is trying to push a new 2017 with ACC they just got but will only come off MSRP by $3K.

·
Registered
33 Posts
how many NEW 2016's are left eligible for the 20% discount. My dealer is out looking but they will only search a 500 mile radius, so far none of the cars still available interest me. He is trying to push a new 2017 with ACC they just got but will only come off MSRP by $3K.
Not many. The last time I looked around New England last week there was maybe 6 tagged with the 20% off but they are out there.

Really depends on where you live due to the limited launch in 16.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is no 20% off on 2016 Volts. The Chevy site can fool you that way, they have a LINK to the cars that actually have 20% off on the 2016 Volt offers page... it isn't 20% off on the Volt.

Add in the fact that there is only one "New" 2016 Volt in the country with the features I want (and no extra's beyond that), and it is only eligible for $1000 cash back, OR 0% financing with a list price of over $40,000 even if I can't get the tax incentive I still come out ahead.

Later,

Keith

Well there are 20% off volts, just not all and it's very region specific.

Why not get 4K off + 1000 PO and some other tricks, be guaranteed the tax credit and get ACC on a 17?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well there are 20% off volts, just not all and it's very region specific.

Why not get 4K off + 1000 PO and some other tricks, be guaranteed the tax credit and get ACC on a 17?
Because that would be $6000 more than I am spending. If I don't get the fed tax incentive I am down $1,500 over what you suggest. If I do get it I am $6,000 ahead of what you suggest. My daily commute would not be ACC friendly, and after my move from Indiana to Mississippi is complete I will not be doing much highway travel where it would come in handy.

Keith

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with some others above. I'd be surprised if you could take the tax credit on a used car. That is what CPO is, you won't get a 12/12 CPO warranty on a new (never titled) vehicle.

Keep us posted.
If I got a 12/12 CPO warranty I would be really pissed, I have 30 months and 36,000 miles left on the factory warranty. Like I say, I am not counting on the federal tax credit... just hoping for it and thinking there is a good chance considering the car has never been registered, and has 122 miles on the odometer.

Keith

·
Registered
245 Posts
If I got a 12/12 CPO warranty I would be really pissed, I have 30 months and 36,000 miles left on the factory warranty. Like I say, I am not counting on the federal tax credit... just hoping for it and thinking there is a good chance considering the car has never been registered, and has 122 miles on the odometer.

Keith
Its the title that matters not the registration. Ask the dealer if they titled the vehicle with the plan to take the tax credit.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts

Keith
The 12/12 CPO warranty is on top of any remains B2B, so you could drive off the lot with more warranty coverage than a brand new Volt.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello..... you can get a Title search for as little as $5.00. But the reliabilty of these types of sites may not be as good as a carfax. I do not think they can get the tax credit without the Tilte, but there is nothing in the IRS Verbage that clearly says this that I can see. Must be nice that the credit is not a big issue. Some of the more important verbage is below. It is hard to find authoritative answers on this aspect of the tax law.
At first read it looks like the dealer should never take the credit except for the Exceptions. But if he does it is very clear that the dealer or owner must pass that along. Enforcing this is a whole another story.
Still researching this. I talked a 'supposed' tax lawyer who told me that the Vin number is not even on the Irs form I8936, which its is. maybe in 2011 it was not as the form changes from year to year. So I discounted everything he said. What would be the penalities if the IRS audits you after you got the claim cause some paper says your first owner? And the IRS finds out thru the Vin number that the dealer did take the credit. If the final Title search from the state shows no previous Title I think i can legally claim it, But do not have goood proof yet. The MRS from the dealer is not specifically required but will help alot in a audit

NMVTIS MULTI-STATE VEHICLE HISTORY REPORT

Its the title that matters not the registration. Ask the dealer if they titled the vehicle with the plan to take the tax credit.
IRS revelant Verbage

The following requirements must be met to qualify for the credit:
You are the owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is leased, only the lessor and not the lessee, is entitled to the credit;
You placed the vehicle in service during your tax year;
The vehicle is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways;
The original use of the vehicle began with you;
You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale; and
You use the vehicle primarily in the United States.

Exception. If you are the seller of a qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle or qualified two-wheeled plug-in electric vehicle to a tax-exempt organization, governmental unit, or a foreign person or entity, and the use of that vehicle is described in section 50(b)(3) or (4), you can claim the credit, but only if you clearly disclose in writing to the purchaser the amount of the tentative credit allowable for the vehicle (from line 11 of Form 8936). Treat all vehicles eligible for this exception as business/ investment property. If you elect to claim the credit, you must reduce cost of goods sold by the amount you entered on line 11 for that vehicle.

Not sure how to find sections 50b, 50b3 and 50b4 which gives some words on when a dealer can claim the credit.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts

Keith
The CPO would not negate the original 3/36 warranty by any means. You could even pass on the CPO rating and save a few bucks on the car as well.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Possible good news... when I do a title search through NMVTIS the results are "no record found". This could mean it was titled in one of the 4% of states that don't have full integration but that is unlikely. I also sent a text to the sales staff asking if the car was ever titled or if it was operated under a MCO/MSO and received a response that he believes it was operated under an open MSO and he will get back to me Monday.

Keith

1 - 20 of 20 Posts