GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I've been on here - I'm coming up on my 3 year anniversary for my Gen 2, and I'm trying to decide on picking up an Extended Warranty. I reached out and got a quote from Dennis Fichtner, and am trying to determine if I should proceed.

For those who have gone through this before, I was wondering if y'all could answer a few questions:
  • Everyone keeps talking about GMEPP vs. GMPP (which is also referred to as "the old Ally Bank plan"). But when I look at the sample contract for the GMEPP quote, it just refers to itself as a 'Protection Plan', not an 'Extended Protection Plan'. So I just wanted to make sure what was being addressed.
  • When reading the Inclusions vs. Exclusions, one things stands out - on the Inclusions (from the Silver section), it explicitly lists "Electronic Instrument Cluster"; on the Exclusions, it explicitly lists "AM/FM radio/cassette/CD players exceeding $3000 repair or replacement cost". So where does the Volt center stack console fall in this?
  • Everyone, in the posts I've read, talks about just taking it to the local/closest GM dealer for service (obviously, there's the matter of making sure they are capable of servicing Volts). But the language in the contract talks about getting approval before work is done - the actual language is: "However, authorization from the Administrator, verified by issuance of a reference number, must be received before any repairs are performed under this Contract." Is that just boilerplate to make sure that the dealership gets in touch with them? Is is considered essentially automatic that the work is authorized if you're at a GM dealership?
  • One of the listed benefits of the plan is a rental car or reimbursement - have any of you taken advantage of this, and how was it handled?
Before I invest more money into the car, I was hoping that some folks who have these plans (and may have utilized them) could chime in. Thanks.

PS: just in case anyone else is looking at these plans, Dennis indicated in his email that the plan prices were changing on Oct. 1st (2019). So I'm looking to decide before then.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I don't know what that's referring to either. If you do a search on this forum for "Dennis Fichtner", you get a decent set of hits for people who have positive comments about buying extended warranties from him over a multi-year period.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
GMEPP = General Motors Extended Protection Plan.
Show your Fichtner quote to your local dealer. My dealer matched it so I bought it local.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Extended warranties are a bad idea, it's better to just keep the money in the bank and pay it out when you need a repair. But if you do want an extended warranty buy one from GM not a third party, third party warranties are scams. A GM warranty will pay for genuine GM parts, a third party warranty will require the use of re-manufactured or third party parts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts