1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
There's nothing to prevent GM from doing a 200 EV, particularly at the price I imagine they will sell the CT6 for. The technology necessary to do this is really a lot less sophisticated than even the current Volt. You just need a big motor or two, a really big battery, inverters and a simple one speed reduction gear and a lot of cash. There were reports awhile back that the CT6 would have a plug-in model. This to me makes a lot more sense. Use the 5ET50 electric transmission in Volt2 strapped on to a 400HP+ twin turbo V6. Pure electric for most of your driving, electric and ICE power added together when you want to go really fast.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I don't think it matters to the speculation, but Mark Reuss said the CT6 would not be an all aluminum body. He made a big deal out of this. More of a composite, not in the sense of carbon fiber, but in the sense of mixed materials including aluminum, magnesium, and steel.

I think the BEV will be a smaller car. The CT6 will be offered in a hybrid version with an all electric range. 70 MPGE and up to 75 MPH all electric. 0-60 MPH in under 6 seconds.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I do like EVs, my Volt and the technology, but we are still a select few offering a solution to a general population who doesn't care about the problem. Give the population cheaper gas, as we see in these last months of 2014, and we see an increase in SUV and CUV sales. Why would your normal family making $80k or less a year "invest" in an EV other than for novelty reasons.

We need BEVs to get down to a slight premium above ICE and far more public charging points with convenient charging refueling rates faster than 6.6KW. I still drive around my area and rarely see a plug in anywhere. Sure, might see one other Volt, Leaf or a Tesla in one out of two trips. But the uptake rate of new plug ins is just not growing at what so many said it would back in 2010. I would not be surprised if companies like Tesla did the high performance P85D because orders were starting to wane earlier this year and they had to react. I think GM is seriously wondering if the Volt will do well or fall flat until gas prices rise again.

I am still a fan of what EVs offer. But it seems like eV enthusiasm lately is with Tesla for reasons that have nothing to do with sustainable transportation, going green or saving on resources. Especially with owners on their second or third version in as little as three years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts