On my 2013, I can lock-up (freeze) the center stack, at least the navigation portion of it, on demand. It unfreezes once you turn off the car and wait a minute or two.
Here are the steps if any of you would be nice enough to attempt to reproduce it...
- Press the "Destination" button (the physical button)
- Choose the "Point of Interest" icon
- Tap on the "Category" item
- Tap on the "Location" item
- Tap on "Around Location:"
- Tap on "City"
- Tap on "Last 5" at the bottom of the screen
- Choose a city
At this point, my nav does nothing. It stays on the city list screen. If I click on the physical "Nav" button, it takes me to a blank (black) map with the compass and a couple of other items on the screen, but no map.
After about 3-4 minutes the center console will automatically reboot and things will be back as normal. If you don't want to wait 3-4 minutes, simply turn off your car, exit, lock it, and walk away (with your remote) for a minute or two, then return. When you turn your car back on, the center console will reboot.