GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
24,133 miles on my Volt. 3/32 on all 4.

America's Tire quoted me $635 for all 4 tires.

Who has replaced their tires and how much did you pay? Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

Who has replaced their tires and how much did you pay? Does that sound about right?
I wanted a full-size spare so I bought wheel from a local Volt owner and a tire from Tire Rack for 133.44$ two years ago. The tire cost was 118.2$ and the rest was shipping cost. The tire was a Michelin Energy Saver A/S. I think I paid 19$ for mounting the tire and balancing at Pep Boys. So total was about 152$.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I paid $1,000 for a set of Michelin X-Ice snow tires that I drive year-round in the mountains. Fantastic grip, but not as efficient as low rolling-resistance tires. Michelin Defender All-Season tires are also excellent. I had those previously. I do not believe in driving on cheap tires. One tow out of a ditch can cost as much as a new set of tires.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I paid $1,000 for a set of Michelin X-Ice snow tires that I drive year-round in the mountains. Fantastic grip, but not as efficient as low rolling-resistance tires. Michelin Defender All-Season tires are also excellent. I had those previously. I do not believe in driving on cheap tires. One tow out of a ditch can cost as much as a new set of tires.
Just an FYI, the X-Ice Xi3s are Low Rolling Resistance. In cold weather, the all-seasons will see increased rolling resistance, whereas the Xi3s will likely have the lower figure.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I paid $606 for a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7's (during labor day deal) - sitting almost at 31K on my 2017, and will probably put them on here in a few weeks. N. Texas here so we don't get too crazy weather wise in the winter.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Depends on the tire. For Michelins, that sounds about right. For an off brand, that sounds a bit high. Btw, if you don't pick an Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tire, your electric range will suffer.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts

Not unreasonable.

Order history from my Tire Rack account:

AX52980 215/55R-17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 (Qty:4) 12/12/2016 $601.95 Shipped
X875553 215/55R-17 Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus (H- or V-Speed Rate (Qty:4) 01/05/2016 $603.60 Shipped

Gonna have to go out to the farm in a couple weeks and get the Blizzaks out of storage and put on... Wish I could find some wheels to leave 'em on for substantially less than $100 per, but that doesn't seem to exist anymore...

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I replaced my OE tires on the 2014 at 53021 miles with Continental Pure Contact with ECO Plus Technology from TireRack for $559 shipped to my door. Costco mounted and balanced them and relearned the TPMS for $65 back in September. I have just returned from a cross-country road trip and and had Costco rebalance, rotate and relearn the TPMS for $20. What a bargain!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
20170128_165425.jpg
Not unreasonable.

Order history from my Tire Rack account:

AX52980 215/55R-17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 (Qty:4) 12/12/2016 $601.95 Shipped
X875553 215/55R-17 Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus (H- or V-Speed Rate (Qty:4) 01/05/2016 $603.60 Shipped

Gonna have to go out to the farm in a couple weeks and get the Blizzaks out of storage and put on... Wish I could find some wheels to leave 'em on for substantially less than $100 per, but that doesn't seem to exist anymore...
You could by Cadillac ATS/CTS wheels for $200-$300 on Craiglist.

·
Registered
46 Posts
$375 Used set of 2017 Volt rims from Offerup
$200 Used near new set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3 local Craigslist
$60 Set of 433mhz TPMS sensors Ebay
$100 Mounting and installation of TPMS sensors Les Schwab

$735 Total

My original factory tires and rims are ready to mount up when the warm and dry weather return.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Four new Michelin OEM A/S tires at Newegg.com delivered for $396.

I did find that they were made summer of 2016, but they have not been outdoors, so I will run them. I am sure the price reflects the mfg date.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
665 Posts
When my tire change comes think I will go with the new Michelin Engery Saver A/S Self Seal. New tire designed in cooperation with GM for the Bolt

·
Registered
538 Posts
We have more than 63,000 mi on the OEM tires. Unlike apparently everyone, we're happy with them. Does anyone know the price to put these tires on again?

·
Registered
150 Posts
When my tire change comes think I will go with the new Michelin Engery Saver A/S Self Seal. New tire designed in cooperation with GM for the Bolt
I gotta remember this recommendation! My 1+ year old Volt has a magnetic attraction to screws and nails. I have had 2 flats in a year!

·
Registered
2013 Diamond White
383 Posts
I replaced my OE tires on the 2014 at 53021 miles with Continental Pure Contact with ECO Plus Technology from TireRack for $559 shipped to my door. Costco mounted and balanced them and relearned the TPMS for $65 back in September. I have just returned from a cross-country road trip and and had Costco rebalance, rotate and relearn the TPMS for $20. What a bargain!
Made the decision to retire my Volt after going into a ditch two weeks ago. Driving in slippery snow with the OEM Good Year tires is an experience I don't want to repeat. Turning to the forum, I decided on all season Continental Pure Contact, rather than a dedicated snow tire that I have to change spring and fall. We have slippery snow conditions right now, and I am now able to stop without barreling through a stop sign. I just got them this morning but much better stopping distance. Also, they appear to have a wider profile. Look great on the car. Thanks to all for the good info. Dealer installed, out the door for $681.

·
Registered
18 Posts
$375 Used set of 2017 Volt rims from Offerup
$200 Used near new set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3 local Craigslist
$60 Set of 433mhz TPMS sensors Ebay
$100 Mounting and installation of TPMS sensors Les Schwab

$735 Total

My original factory tires and rims are ready to mount up when the warm and dry weather return.
So Les Schwabb put on a TPMS that you purchased? I had a sidewall blowout that they replaces. Supposedly the TPMS was broken when the car arrived there. They didn't mention until I had to pick up and leave. Now they want 60 for a single TPMS and another 20 to install. I inquired about obtaining my own sensors and having them install, they said they couldn't do it for liability. Maybe I'll call again and try to get someone else on the phone to agree.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So Les Schwabb put on a TPMS that you purchased? I had a sidewall blowout that they replaces. Supposedly the TPMS was broken when the car arrived there. They didn't mention until I had to pick up and leave. Now they want 60 for a single TPMS and another 20 to install. I inquired about obtaining my own sensors and having them install, they said they couldn't do it for liability. Maybe I'll call again and try to get someone else on the phone to agree.
They didn't want to mount the TPMS sensors and they gave me the we only install the sensors we sell. I told them it was ridiculous that a sensor was a sensor and either they can install a sensor or they can't. They ended up screwing one of them up and then wanting 20 bucks to try to relearn the car or 50 bucks to diagnose it further. I ended up breaking the bead on the tire and installing another sensor myself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got 4 Pirelli P7's at Discount Tire, with additional warranty coverage, mounting, and balancing, for $580. The Pirelli's are superior to the Badyears in every respect, except for MPC. I was getting about 42 with the OEM's and get about 39 with the P 7's. They stick like gummy bears. They are rated to last 70k miles, too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts