GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From reading some posts, I'm surprised at the cost of electricity in CA. We have competing companies in TX and get it for $.035 for the electricity and $.04 for the Lines service provider. Even the 100% renewable rates are $.073 including line service. Sounds like someone needs to be talking to their politicians.

ChuckJ

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
From reading some posts, I'm surprised at the cost of electricity in CA. We have competing companies in TX and get it for $.035 for the electricity and $.04 for the Lines service provider. Even the 100% renewable rates are $.073 including line service. Sounds like someone needs to be talking to their politicians.

ChuckJ
Yup, same here. Signed up with BeyondPower and got it for about $.072 - $.078/kWh, depending on usage. And this is a 100% renewable plan.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Those are good rates, we're a bit higher in MN... this was our May bill for the two cars plus some light usage elsewhere (separate meter for the garage) one of our lesser months for driving around

Energy Charge Winter 377 kWh $0.080400 $30.31
Fuel Cost Charge 377 kWh $0.024509 $09.24

yep... MN we apparently still think May is winter... *sigh*

·
Registered
139 Posts
If only... it's $.16 in NH. If not for charging at work, we wouldn't be able to save any money by running electric. There were actually a few weeks since I bought the car where it was cheaper to use gas.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Rarely are rates fixed...Edison is my provider, their cheapest rates require me paying to get a second meter installed (some countries/towns offer rebates) which would be exclusively used for EV charging...There were horror stories of new Tesla owners getting their first months bill and it going up $500-$1000/mo...(coming home at 530pm and plugging in to charge immediately is generally the worst idea)...The key is research and there are usually many different electric plans for EVs ownership...

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Rarely are rates fixed...
Mine is 5.5c/kWh plus delivery and taxes. So around 8c total. 12-month contract, so, it's as fixed as it gets. My provider also has renewable-only plans at a higher rate. I'll let that one take care of itself since renewables are becoming cheaper than fossil fuel plants.

TXU in my area has a couple plans with either nights free or weekends free. However, with TXU the fine print usually is a gotcha.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
11 cents all inclusive here in southern

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm north of Pittsburgh and am fixed at 7.58 with T&D coming out at 3.86. So my total paid comes out around 11.44 cents/kWh. That's a fixed cost contract.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In Louisiana, I am paying $0.13/kwh. We have several coal fired power plants here thanks to the Jimmy Carter administration which disallowed the construction of cheaper natural gas plants. We actually have coal fired plants sitting on top of a natural gas field.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I'm in PGE territory on TOU, E-6. So from May -Oct.[week days] my rates are 9PM-10AM: $0.143/kWh; 10AM-1PM and 7PM-9PM: $0.22/kWh; 1PM-7PM: $0.336/kWh. With only the LEAF charging most of last year and with solar, my electricity bill was $0, even though I had a net of 365 kWh. That is the advantage of TOU, if I don't consume too much electricity in the afternoons. Now that I am charging two EVs, I think I will be paying PGE a few bucks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
SDG&E pays me. Let me know when Texas has net metering for small scale producers.

There is a $10/month grid connection charge, but if you produce enough, you can zero that out too.

·
Registered
354 Posts
... Sounds like someone needs to be talking to their politicians.
ChuckJ
They did. Looks like they decided that everybody else can subsidize the freebies that the utilities give us for increasing the content of renewable energy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We're at $.08/kWh. Charging two (2) Volts and we drive a lot ... avg $600 month in gas prior to them, the differential is well worth it. Solar / Residential wind will be next.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They did. Looks like they decided that everybody else can subsidize the freebies that the utilities give us for increasing the content of renewable energy.
It's only 7.5c for renewable here. Someone is doing something wrong there where the sun shines and the wind blows.

ChuckJ
PS two years ago it was 13c for renewable

·
Registered
30 Posts
In NoVa we pay a flat $.10858 up to 800 kWh, then $.11863/kWh over that (depending on how many counties the power passes through to get to your house). Dominion now has plans for time of day as a pilot through 2018 where we have the following:

Peak $0.13936
Intermediate (certain times of year) $0.11095
Off Peak $0.08403
Super Off Peak $0.05746

dominion also has an EV only where they put in a second meter, with other rates. I ended up building a crazy complex worksheet to figure out each part of the kWh charge, then estimate charges based on previous bills.

Dominion offers us an additional fee to offset energy with renewables, but it doesn't change fuel costs or anything, it's just our "donation" to the environment.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't know how you guys are billed for your electricity but here in Quebec there is one provincial provider called Hydro-Quebec that provide Hydroelectricity to everyone. From the documentation on their website our average residential rate in CAD is 7.19 ¢/kWh where Boston, MA should be 30.03 ¢/kWh, Houston, TX 12.36 ¢/kWh, San Francisco, CA 27.69 ¢/kWh, New York, NY 28.90 ¢/kWh .... etc.
See documentation here http://www.hydroquebec.com/publications/en/docs/comparaison-electricity-prices/comp_2015_en.pdf

What do you guys think of this comparison? Consider also the exchange rate as right now. For example 12.36 ¢/kWh in CAD for Houston is 9.68 ¢/kWh USD.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In NoVa we pay a flat $.10858 up to 800 kWh, then $.11863/kWh over that (depending on how many counties the power passes through to get to your house). Dominion now has plans for time of day as a pilot through 2018 where we have the following:

Peak $0.13936
Intermediate (certain times of year) $0.11095
Off Peak $0.08403
Super Off Peak $0.05746

dominion also has an EV only where they put in a second meter, with other rates. I ended up building a crazy complex worksheet to figure out each part of the kWh charge, then estimate charges based on previous bills.

Dominion offers us an additional fee to offset energy with renewables, but it doesn't change fuel costs or anything, it's just our "donation" to the environment.
Super off-peak sounds great!

ChuckJ

·
Registered
250 Posts
It's only 7.5c for renewable here. Someone is doing something wrong there where the sun shines and the wind blows.

ChuckJ
PS two years ago it was 13c for renewable
Renewables markets are so manipulated in most states that the charged price likely has little bearing on reality. There is nothing healthy about where the grid is heading in terms of generation distribution, stability, etc.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Colorado commercial rate for electricity is about $0.09 per KwH. I think that my residential rate is $0.12 per KwH. I use about the same amount of electricity for my household as I use for transportation. I am not offended by higher electricity rates if I am buying a higher mix of renewable energy. I paid a premium for years to fund wind power. The opinion stated that the Carter Administration was responsible for preventing utilities from burning natural gas is a distorted view, ignoring the thrust of policies in light of OPEC and the reliance of the United States for imports of oil exceeding 50% of domestic consumption. Carter took positions favoring renewable energy development and conservation to reduce reliance on foreign energy sources. Conservation was encouraged by lowering freeway speed limits to 55 MPH. Carter shifted utilities toward the use of coal, a domestic energy source, in response to the OPEC crisis and the instability caused by importing petroleum. Sadly, the Reagan Administration destroyed conservation measures such as lower speed limits and, symbolically, removed the solar panels from the roof of the White House. http://what-when-how.com/energy-engineering/national-energy-act-of-1978/

1 - 20 of 98 Posts