GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
The manual says drain flush and fill engine, power electronics, and high voltage battery cooling system on 5 yrs or 150K miles whichever comes first.
I talked to my dealer and he said the engine coolant flushing is conventional and costs $150, but the others require the removal of the battery and will probably cost me more than $1000. Anyone here has done the same thing before?
My question is do I need to do that, and how much should it cost?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Many forum members have gotten this service because many Volts are over 5 years old now. The battery definitely does not have to be removed for this. I would not use that dealer for this service or any other. I had mine done this year. IIRC, a typical cost is around $360 total for all 3 fluid changes together.

Whether you need to do it is a matter of opinion. It is on the service schedule and it also may help keep your Voltec warranty in effect if you still have that.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hmm...my 2014 ELR is getting close to 5 years, only 17k miles. Anyone here venture to guess if the coolant can degrade over time, regardless of heat cycles?
Warranty might require the flush, though...ugh...

·
Administrator
20,231 Posts
Had my battery coolant flushed and replaced at year 5. It was a few hundred, did not require removing the battery. That's BS.

Does the ICE need to be remove to change the oil or the engine coolant? Nope.

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
I did all three coolants plus an oil change back in March for $568 total cost

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah, I call B.S. on removing the battery. That would be like saying, "we need to change your oil, so we need to pull the oil pan."

These coolant systems should be designed to have drains that are accessible for routine maintenance. If they don't they have radiators at the front of the engine bay which should be able to be drained and flushed. If they don't they have radiator pipes that can be removed to drain and flush from. No battery removal should be required.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks call,
I already have a different dealer lined up, will call them tomorrow to get a quote. :)

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Removal of the battery "PLUG"

Some one did not read all the steps :)

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
"It costs whatever the cost of the coolant is"

unless you are the first and they don't have the vacuum filler that helps suck out the air bubbles.

and you still need to use the test equipment to run the pumps - extra steps more shop time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I recently performed a coolant change on my son's Gen 1, using the shop manual as a bible. It took most of the day, due to a lot of disassembly and access issues. There are quite a few low point drains to open up (almost all hoses and pipe connections. I had to use low pressure/high volume compressed air to get as much coolant out of each system as I could (probably as much as 1.5 quarts additional came out of the battery doing this). Even so, I was unable to get as much as a half gallon out of all three systems combined. By using a vacuum filler, most of the air was out of all systems. I would estimate that over the next couple weeks....maybe 2 cups of additional coolant was added among the systems to replace purged air. So, although it would be nice to cycle the pumps, it can be done without.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
"It costs whatever the cost of the coolant is"

unless you are the first and they don't have the vacuum filler that helps suck out the air bubbles.

and you still need to use the test equipment to run the pumps - extra steps more shop time.
Eh, the shop manual isn’t law.... And GM techs have proven to me that my car is better in my hands than theirs considering 2 different dealerships couldn’t diagnose the auxiliary coolant pump for the HVAC.

Trust me, it’s very much possible without GMs shop tools.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
My question: with only 17k miles, has the coolant degraded enough to require replacing at 5 years?

...discuss...
It's very possible. Dexcool does have a shelf life even in the container and not in a car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My question: with only 17k miles, has the coolant degraded enough to require replacing at 5 years?

...discuss...
Yes, Coolant doesn't lose its ability to cool with time, but the corrosion inhibitors do lose their anti-corrosive properties. 5 years should be your limit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts