GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won't need to get a 240 EVSE since I'll use our factory 2016 portables with an adapter. But to run a 240 line from a breaker box that should already have some extra room in it, does anyone have any experience with the cost of just running a line and putting in a 240 V outlet? It will need to be run about 25 feet from the box to the wall near our porch, where our current 20 amp 120 V outlet is that I use now to charge from. I never felt I needed to go this route until recently when we got a second Volt so now I think we need the flexibility of a different faster charging line. I'm in the DC area, so my guess is it will be higher than the average cost nationally to do that (just like everything else here).

Thanks

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
A breaker is about $10, the junction box and outlet around $10, the wire around $1/foot, plus any conduit or any other hardware needed. Maybe $100/hr labor? My guess is $300, but hard to say. Might be a lot of labor. Ideal install will be open ceilings in basement for access and not having to fish it through finished areas.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it should all be in our unfinished basement, where the 120 line was strung before, so maybe it won't be too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
968 Posts
I won't need to get a 240 EVSE since I'll use our factory 2016 portables with an adapter. But to run a 240 line from a breaker box that should already have some extra room in it, does anyone have any experience with the cost of just running a line and putting in a 240 V outlet? It will need to be run about 25 feet from the box to the wall near our porch, where our current 20 amp 120 V outlet is that I use now to charge from. I never felt I needed to go this route until recently when we got a second Volt so now I think we need the flexibility of a different faster charging line. I'm in the DC area, so my guess is it will be higher than the average cost nationally to do that (just like everything else here).

Thanks
For me to do the work, it cost me about $100 to run the appropriate gauge wire, conduit and price of a outlet/box. I had a similar distance of ~ 25 ft from an unused 240V outlet in the laundry room adjacent to the garage where i placed the outlet. From the point, I plug in my clipper creek lcs-20p. For details, click on the hyperlink in my signature caled "ceiling mount."

If your looking for an electrician to do the work, then you might clarify that. Also, there lots of good info in the G1 subforum under battery and charging. I believe that I've seen a few threads about cost of installation there as well.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah sorry I'm going to hire an electrician. Labor will be the big part I'm sure. Thanks

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I paid a licensed contractor $518 to run 85 feet of wire, some panel work, a few new breakers and then installing my CC LCS-25 EVSE.

He also had to pull a permit from my village. I wanted to be totally SAFE and LEGAL for our sake and when we sell the home, and his work was guaranteed for 10 years.

That was money well spent.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks that's exactly why I would never trust myself to do this and I would want a professional to do it but your figures give me something to go on so I really appreciate that

·
Registered
110 Posts
I paid a licensed contractor $518 to run 85 feet of wire, some panel work, a few new breakers and then installing my CC LCS-25 EVSE.

He also had to pull a permit from my village. I wanted to be totally SAFE and LEGAL for our sake and when we sell the home, and his work was guaranteed for 10 years.

That was money well spent.
Yep. Depending you your run, it's going to cost under a $1K. Well worth it, and you can claim a federal tax credit.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Get three estimates and go with the one that measures up with your internal crap detector. Which is not usually the cheapest estimate. Once you find a decent electrician, just pay what he/she wants. You'll need them later.

25' can turn into 50' by the time the elevation and cable management is figured.

Fortunately my father-in-law was a master electrician and taught me well. These days I write a check rather than crawl around in sweaty buggy itchy spaces to run wiring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
$300 for me in San Diego, although my EVSE was mounted on the interior garage wall directly opposite the main panel. He had to make room in the panel for a 40A breaker by changing out some lower amp breakers.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Don't forget to crunch the tax numbers! If your taxes don't change much year to year, you can use your 2015 tax numbers and add-in the Volt purchase and the 240V outlet install (materials and labor), assuming your 240V outlet was installed same year as your Volt purchase. Then go through IRS Form 8911 and see if you qualify for the 30% tax credit back. If not, you may want to hold off until 2017 to do the install. That's where I'm at, so I'm making do with a $100 RV extension cord setup for a NEMA 10-30r dryer outlet until 2017 when I plan on installing a dedicated NEMA 14-50r (future proofing as well).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Marcus,

I'm near your area. I had my install done by K&D Electric Co., LLC. I went a little overboard and had #8 gauge wire run for a new 50A receptacle (NEMA 14-50), as well as #10 gauge for a new 20A receptacle. They had to cut through drywall in 4 separate places. the breaker box was in the basement, but in a room that bordered the garage, so maybe 25 feet of wire (but two dedicated branch circuits). It took them about 3 hours, if I recall. Total came to $635.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! I may give them a call. With my unfinished basement it should not be more, maybe less I hope. I will probably go overboard on the gauge too to future proof it and 14-50 right now is pretty much state of the art. Overkill for the current volt perhaps, but certainly not for future vehicles.

·
Registered
260 Posts
This was also my thinking, and in line with some advice I received here. I hope the Volt will someday have an EV friend alongside it in the garage. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts