GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my wife and I went to Portland Oregon to go shopping with our 2016 Volt. Miles driven round trip, 168.6 miles, electric used: 57 miles / used 13.6 KWH, had 3 miles left on gauge when we returned home.

Miles driven on gas, 111.6, with 2.18 gal's used for 51.0 mpg indicated on gauge. Total cost for trip ($7.22), with gas at $2.499/ gal, and electric @ .114/ KWH, 15.5 KWH X .114 =$1.77 (includes charging losses)

Now we could have taken our 2010 Prius 168.6 @ 52 mpg= 3.24 gal's used for $8.10 for trip.

Volt savings: $.88 = a savings of nearly 11% in fuel cost.

This is not an easy trip as we leave at sea level via Highway 26 with 3 mountain passes, 6 in total for round trip, with the highest @ 1642 feet. For the trip I use Hold Mode on Highway 26, and on the way back just prior to the passes I engaged normal / electric mode to equal out the climbing. 3 passes on gas engine and 3 passes back on electric power.

Highway speeds and some city driving, 55 - 62 mph. Temps ranged from 55 to a high of 70 in Portland area with dry roads.

I can't remember if anybody has done a comparison (Volt vs Prius) for a trip like this with everything being equal as much as possible.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I can't remember if anybody has done a comparison (Volt vs Prius) for a trip like this with everything being equal as much as possible.
The butt-pull number I've waved around for "break even" between Volt and Prius is 200 miles. It moves around with gas prices and electricity prices, etc, but on average, it's cheaper to drive a Volt on trips less than 200 miles, and cheaper to drive a Prius on trips of more than 200 miles.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
But it's always nicer to drive a Volt regardless of cost.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The $0.88 advantage for the Volt is eaten-up by the inconvenience of locating charging stations and providing time for the vehicle to charge. The Volt wastes so much time to "fuel" that I have rarely gone through the trouble and cost of charging when I am vacationing. In winter, I must shovel snow out of the charging station that I usually use for commuting energy, costing nearly $100 for shovels that I carry in winter. On long-distance vacationing, I am required to pay about $10 more per night if I want a campsite with electric outlet access for the night to charge the Volt for about $1.00 worth of electricity. Recently, I was running errands around town, so I decided to plug-in the Volt and walk to all of my shopping destinations. When I returned, a Nissan Leaf owner had disconnected the charger from my vehicle and taken the cable to charge the Leaf. The Prius is far more convenient to drive compared to a Volt and the Prius actually has sufficient heat to keep the cabin warm in sub-zero temperatures.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
The $0.88 advantage for the Volt is eaten-up by the inconvenience of locating charging stations and providing time for the vehicle to charge.
The OP did not stop along the way to recharge. It was Volt battery + gas vs. Prius "battery" + gas.

·
Registered
871 Posts
When I returned, a Nissan Leaf owner had disconnected the charger from my vehicle and taken the cable to charge the Leaf.
Protip: turn on the "charge cord theft alarm" and anyone who unplugs it will definitely not be doing it a second time ;)

·
Registered
777 Posts
So the Volt wins by a hair. Whoop whoop. How about a real world test?

How often does anyone go on a 170 mile trip? How about the cost Volt vs Prius over a 5 day work week. Each day drive 17 miles from home. Do some work, eat lunch, do some more work, and then drive 17 miles back home, charging overnight. A total of 170 miles. This is what most of us do every day.

I'm too lazy to calculate, I'm sure some Volt enthusiast here will do it. The numbers should leave the Prius in the dust!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
So the Volt wins by a hair. Whoop whoop. How about a real world test?

How often does anyone go on a 170 mile trip? How about the cost Volt vs Prius over a 5 day work week. Each day drive 17 miles from home. Do some work, eat lunch, do some more work, and then drive 17 miles back home, charging overnight. A total of 170 miles. This is what most of us do every day.

I'm too lazy to calculate, I'm sure some Volt enthusiast here will do it. The numbers should leave the Prius in the dust!
I think that's the point.
You have to go reallllly far in one go to make sense in a prius, and only for that one trip.
Over a lifetime, it wouldn't come close.

Of course purely on dollars and cents. The volt drives way better, and that in itself will be value add for most people if both were identical in efficiency/cost.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
My wife and I live and work in Northwestern Oregon. For any serious shopping or dinning the Portland Oregon and greater area is our only option. My wife's daily driver is our 2016 Volt. She drives to her business 4-5 days a week each trip is a total (round trip) of 32 miles. We have a level 2 charger and when she returns home she has anywhere from 10 miles (winter) to 25-30 miles (summer) electric range left, and plugs in.

When I work night shift I usually take her Volt for my 23 mile round trip and when I arrive home I plug in and when she leaves for work later in the morning she has a full charge. 55 miles and no gasoline used, not shabby.

On this Portland trip our Volt did get 51 mpg on regular gas for well over 100 miles and in my opinion is not terribly bad. Also 57 miles on electric with 3 miles left when we arrived home is just a plus in my book.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
The Prius is far more convenient to drive compared to a Volt and the Prius actually has sufficient heat to keep the cabin warm in sub-zero temperatures.
How do you figure that? When you stop for gas does it fill it's own tank automatically?
My vacation trip every year is 1400 miles over 8-10 days. I leave home with a full charge and return 8-10 days later with zero charge. I don't plug in anywhere along the way. I'm pretty sure my Volt drive is just as convenient as any Prius and I'm sure that I'm more comfortable. And I'm positive that I'm driving a better looking car. :D
I don't know about your Volt, but mine has plenty of heat in the winter. Have you had it checked?

·
Registered
871 Posts
The Prius is far more convenient to drive compared to a Volt and the Prius actually has sufficient heat to keep the cabin warm in sub-zero temperatures.[/COLOR]
I don't know about your Volt, but mine has plenty of heat in the winter. Have you had it checked?
Yeah, I find the Volt just as convenient as a Prius with the added benefit of not having to use gas all the time if I don't care to. And it's more fun to drive. Plus, all last winter (Chicago, several weeks below 20*F) I had plenty of heat in mine. Usually halfway into my commute I was so warm I'd have to strip off my jacket and sometimes my hoodie to feel comfortable, so I'm not sure where the "not having sufficient heat" part comes in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My Prius does pretty good, I average 55-60mpg with it. My wife makes it to work and back on its 10-15 mile EV battery. I think it is as comfortable as the Volt in the Front and by far it has more room in the back seats and cargo area.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
>My Prius does pretty good, I average 55-60mpg with it.
>>My wife makes it to work and back on its 10-15 mile EV battery. ...
> So you drive way slower than the EPA average, correct?
>>So this is only when she does not need heat or defrost functions, correct? And slower than EPA averages, correct?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The $0.88 advantage for the Volt is eaten-up by the inconvenience of locating charging stations and providing time for the vehicle to charge. The Volt wastes so much time to "fuel" that I have rarely gone through the trouble and cost of charging when I am vacationing. In winter, I must shovel snow out of the charging station that I usually use for commuting energy, costing nearly $100 for shovels that I carry in winter. On long-distance vacationing, I am required to pay about $10 more per night if I want a campsite with electric outlet access for the night to charge the Volt for about $1.00 worth of electricity. Recently, I was running errands around town, so I decided to plug-in the Volt and walk to all of my shopping destinations. When I returned, a Nissan Leaf owner had disconnected the charger from my vehicle and taken the cable to charge the Leaf. The Prius is far more convenient to drive compared to a Volt and the Prius actually has sufficient heat to keep the cabin warm in sub-zero temperatures.
The Volt is great as I drive it about 30 miles a day on average all electric. When I take it on a trip I don't even bother to look for charging destinations, I just drive on gas. As you say, why would you waste time trying to charge it while enjoying vacation?

I think you are missing the point of the Volt. It is an EV on workdays with the convenience of a gas car on vacations. I charge at home with just a few added seconds as I walk inside from my garage. I put about 9,000 EV miles a year on and maybe 3k gas miles, but varies a lot based on trips.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Cooper, I am surprised to read your critical post. You have been a Volt supporter in the past. But I agree with your point that public charging (or battling with a condo board) can be inconvenient and unreliable. Charging really is at its best for people who have their own parking space, electrical service, and EVSE for convenient overnight charging without having to compete for it. That is a problem for a lot of people. I would not want to be in a position of relying on anything else. For those who have that, the convenience is maximized because plugging in is effortless, and you don't go to the gas station nearly as often, thus saving all that time and hassle.

And for those times when charging is inconvenient, the Volt can operate pretty much like a Prius, so all of your points toward the Prius can also apply to the Volt.

But even though I am happy with my Volt, I do not want to bash the Prius. I think it is a great car. Both are top 5 cars of all time, IMO. Exactly which order to put them in hardly matters. If you have switched from Volt to Prius, congratulations on finding a car that works a lot better for your use case.

·
Registered
871 Posts
My main issue with the Prius is that it lacks power. I've heard this reiterated over and over again; it's sluggish and doesn't drive well. However, as someone who had a non-Prius Toyota Hybrid as a daily driver at one point, I love Toyota's hybrid system. I really hope they start shipping more cars with a plug-in option (especially the Highlander) by the time I decide to move on from my Volt. Their other hybrids have much larger engines than the Prius, and thus don't suffer from the lack of power that plagues the Prius so badly.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Both are good cars.

Drove on a work provided rental Prius for a few years. Got as advertised mpg. Was an awesome car to learn drifting. Skinny tires, rigid frame, looses traction very predictably and very easy, no shaking, and traction comes back very smoothly. Tires would not last 8k miles with my driving - but that was not my issue. Besides some drifting fun I had with the car - the Prius was a gutless and ugly car.

Volt - good looking and very fast compared to Prius. Nothing there to compare - Volt is 50% more expensive, and is a much better choice for daily driving with average <40 miles commute. I have a feeling if more Prius owners knew that Volt and Prius cost exactly the same once Tax rebates are applied, they would have gotten the Volt.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My wife and I took a couple of fishing trips, and another trip outside the electric range, to the Tillamook Oregon area steelhead fishing the many beautiful rivers there. We used our 2016 Volt premier and even though its now winter the mpg's on the gas still stumps me at being way over the 42 mpg's the EPA gives it.

So far we averaged over 50 miles on each trip just on electric, and on gas for 199.4 miles we used 3.9 gal's of Costco Reg. 87 octane gas with 10% ethanol and of course its now winter blended as well. So 51.12 mpg, just on the gas engine, even our 2010 Prius would be hard pressed to achieve that during the winter.

This is driving Highway 101, with speeds ranging from 25-60 mph. I would have been happy getting 45 mpg, winter driving as well, with our Volt just on the gas engine. This car continues to amaze me.....

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
There's a free charging station a couple of miles from the house and free charging at work. So my commute is free even at 168 miles. I can get between 60 to 186 miles per charge on my Volt.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts