GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The augmented GM Mastercard rebate finally put me over the top, and I’ve been the proud owner of a 2015 Gray Volt for a month now. A very special thank you to all of the regular contributors to this forum; I’ve spent the month before and after purchase reading up on as many things as I could, and I can’t begin to tell you how much I’ve learned. (e.g.: not stressing out with the windscreen bottoming out when leaving the driveway). But I did have a few more questions, which I'll insert into previously started threads, and a couple of suggestions…though they may have already shown up in a thread I haven’t found yet.

AndY1 had a great post about Autosocks, a winter traction aid. I had a pair for my old Honda Civic but haven’t needed them (always bring an umbrella so it won’t rain), and just purchased a pair in the right size for my Volt. If anyone’s interested, the size that fits my 215-55R17 tires (#685) is on clearance at StreetsideAuto.com, way cheaper than Amazon. I have no ties to the company, and I haven’t used the product, but I just wanted to share the information.

http://www.streetsideauto.com/p/aut...QL66Dr7n1dxyc6wDZNg-X-TXAR2G3Hj0FwaAvbj8P8HAQ

Finally, my question:

• I have no moral problem with plugging in my cellphone charger at work, but I would never stop by the fuel tank (I work at a firehouse) to grab “half a gallon”. But is there much difference between taking a little gas and grabbing 6-10kW of electricity? I’ve spoken to my county general services administrator, who says they’re thinking about a policy, but haven’t come up with one yet. At $0.125/kwhr (the county cost) it’s only about a buck, and I'd gladly pay it once we figure out a mechanism for that. I want to be completely ethical about this, and not cause resentment among other employees. Does anyone work for a company or local government that has a policy on plugging in at work?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Our company policy is that it's free :)
I asked the facilities manager one day after picking up my Volt. He talked to the big guys and they decided to install a L2 station in the parking lot.
It eventually led to the company purchasing a Volt for people to use on trips.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Welcome Adam217! I also lurked here for a while before buying my Volt (5 years in my case) and actually having and enjoying the car has led me to contribute more often. I hope you find the same.

As to your question, I work from home but visit my family every few weeks. I initially charged at my mom's expense, but after overhearing my sister talk to my wife about their perception of the cost. I stopped. My wife already has heard many times that a full charge is only about $1, but for some reason that doesn't connect. So rather than explaining it again, I just stopped charging there. Yes, it costs me $4-5 in gas instead, but I just don't need the hassle. May I humbly suggest that your situation isn't that different? Besides, what is the moral difference between charging your cell phone and your car? Should you do either?

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
My company has a policy that they don't pay for employee's gas, so they have to charge us for the electricity we use. Thus, they've installed charging stations all over the larger corporate sites for at least $10K per station and only break even on the cost of the electricity charged. It seems very fair, though it adds a bit of pain where you have to setup an account, get the appropriate card, and swipe. It's still a loss leader for the company, but they're doing this to show their green and make a statement, not to make a profit. I've heard they've spent millions on charging stations, yet I haven't pushed hard enough to get one installed at my small site yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Adam, I'm new to the Volt as well. Drove my new 2014 home last week and haven't taken it out since due to the weather. T thinking about getting an Auto sock. Could you pls link to AndY1's post since a search for his posts or Auto sock brought up nothing. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts