GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day the sun was shining on the charge port as I unplugged. I noticed what looked like copper dust around the charge port area. It wasn't a ton but it was noticeable. Anyone else notice this? Do you think it's something to worry about? :confused:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The other day the sun was shining on the charge port as I unplugged. I noticed what looked like copper dust around the charge port area. It wasn't a ton but it was noticeable. Anyone else notice this? Do you think it's something to worry about? :confused:
  • What's your model year?
  • Is your plug hard to plug in or pull out?
  • Does it seem to be making good contact?
I noticed a little of that with my Lev1 charger initially, I think the contacts were just breaking in to match the car's plug.

I've always assumed that eventually the socket in the Volt (and probably the charger handle) would need replacement due to the mechanical action of plugging and unplugging just like the electric golf carts and ev delivery trucks where I work.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'13. Eh I wouldn't call it hard to plug or unplug but there is some resistance. It still makes good contact. I've never had it not charge because of bad contact.

Hhhmm, I did recently upgrade to a new CC L2 charger after a couple months on the OEM L1 charger. Maybe it's just a bit of dust off the new charger plug and not the Volts receptacle?

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I see the exact same thing with my 13 and I've been using a CC LCS-25 EVSE almost since new. Mine does seem to have a bit of "friction" when you insert or remove it.

Is there some sort of cleaning/lubing routine we can use?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Is there some sort of cleaning/lubing routine we can use?
So far all I've had to do is blow things out with compressed air.

If I felt I needed to clean more I'd probably use a good, plastic safe, contact cleaner spray and then put a little di-electric grease in the charger handle female contacts with a q-tip.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Just a thought: I'm starting to have a problem with 'rail dust' on my car. The white paint only accentuates it. It collects in odd nooks of the car, especially around the rear plate. If that's what it is you should be able to feel it with a light touch, and careful use of a clay bar will remove it.

No sign of anything that looks like it comes from the plug, though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a thought: I'm starting to have a problem with 'rail dust' on my car. The white paint only accentuates it. It collects in odd nooks of the car, especially around the rear plate. If that's what it is you should be able to feel it with a light touch, and careful use of a clay bar will remove it.

No sign of anything that looks like it comes from the plug, though.
The stuff I'm seeing is under the charge port flap thing, so you can only see it when that is open. Doubt it's that rail dust.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a pic I took this morning for anyone curious.

20160510_074009.jpg

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
My vote: tree pollen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts