GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the normal coolant for the batteries be?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Coop lent temp

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
On my 2013 during the winter here in Georgia, I've seen it get into the 40's; I know it does get lower in other climates when unplugged. So far I've seen mine as high as 84 degrees F while driving and AC running on a hot day. While charging on a hot day, it usually stays between 77-80.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks
i was scanning through all of my screens and saw battery cooling temp and it said 225 ? could that be right?
i am going to checking again to today on a longer trip

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The Volt (and Spark EV) battery coolant doesn't get as hot as the gas engine coolant, so the scheduled mantenance for draining and replacement is in many years or after many thousands of miles. See the respective Owner Manual for the schedule.

This is one of the great money-saving features of the EV - longer coolant replacement period.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks
i was scanning through all of my screens and saw battery cooling temp and it said 225 ? could that be right?
The highest temp I've seen on any of the fluids I've looked at is 190 degrees on the transmission fluid (ie motors and gears); ICE usually peaks around 167. Maybe you are seeing the oil temp? Or perhaps the formula is wrong for the pid...if you are using a pid app.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Thanks
I believe what you saw was "Engine Coolant Temp". Battery Coolant temp is not shown on any of the Volt's screens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Engine Coolant Temp

I believe what you saw was "Engine Coolant Temp". Battery Coolant temp is not shown on any of the Volt's screens.
thanks, on one of my trips I'll try to find that again. I'm still getting used to all the features....scrolling through the different screens (then cant remember how i got there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I am on battery alone the "coolant temp" reads 100 deg at ambient temp of 73 to 84 dogs. Since the 4 radiator(3 water, one oil" are in "series" that temp indicator the average(?) of all but the ICE. Once the ICE kicked in then the temp goes up to 190s to 210s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts