GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time reader, first time poster. I'm (slightly) overdue for my 5 year coolant systems PM (2013 Volt entered service April 2014, I bought "new" as a loaner with 1,100 miles in August 2014 for $26,500 before the tax credit :eek:) Love the car and am at 63,000 miles with my only service costs being a few oil changes, tires rotations, and a second set of tires.

I initially was planning on having the service done by a local Chevy dealership, but also got a quote from a third party repair shop that is part of Costco's Auto program. They claim to be ASE certified to handle GM hybrid & BEV products. The repair order estimate does contain the three separate systems that require the flush and 4 gallons of 50/50 Dex-Cool, so everything looks proper to me on the estimate. The cost nets to $226.10 before applying the 15% Costco coupon.

There's a 12 month / 12,000 mile warranty on repairs. Has anyone had a non-GM repair shop complete their Volt coolant change? The Chevy dealership wants more than 2x this, and I'm not willing to do this work myself. Thank you for any insights.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Cooling Systems

Engine 7.4 qt High Voltage Battery 4.0 qt Power Electronics 4.4 qt 3.6 kW/7.2 kW Charger ? 4.6 qt

The 4.6 qt on the charger may include the 4.4 in electronics but not sure.

---------------
still should have a vacuum pump on battery fill and ability to program on the cooling pump before turning on car.

Price looks very good and at least they know you need 3 tanks flushed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a follow up on this. The technician was excellent and all three coolant systems were completed for $196 out the door. I noticed the level in the engine coolant system dropped slightly over the first week of driving it (based on my reading on here that is not unusual due to some air pockets getting in the system) and purchased my own 50/50 DexCool to top it off (it had gotten down to ~ one finger width below the fill line after slowly dropping over ~10 days). It has not changed noticeably in the few weeks since then.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
This is the first time I've heard of a non-GM shop being able to do this specialized work. Great news that they have a much more reasonable price for it. Why don't you let everyone know where it is and what it is called? I personally have been so underwhelmed by my dealer's ability to repair my Volt, I would welcome an alternative.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Make sure they use the deionized Dexcool and not the regular Dexcool, different part numbers, also identified by different coloured caps. The fact that the coolant went down would indicate they didn't turn the pump on to get rid of last air bubbles. Not critical if you check the levels on a regular basis to top up, something they don't expect a "regular" customer to do (or know how to do in some cases). I would continue to check levels until they have all stabilized. When I took mine into GM they ran the 1/2 battery down to zero running the pumps and didn't recharge it (no charger or no time as I was waiting for the car at another location where they dropped me off and picked me up). The levels didn't budge which indicated they used the hours they had it to run the pumps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This is the first time I've heard of a non-GM shop being able to do this specialized work. Great news that they have a much more reasonable price for it. Why don't you let everyone know where it is and what it is called? I personally have been so underwhelmed by my dealer's ability to repair my Volt, I would welcome an alternative.
The service shop is Tuned Autoworks in Miami, FL. Initially found them via Costco, they honored the 15% coupon when mentioned. Reviewed very well on Google, Yelp, etc. Unlike all the Chevy dealers I quoted with they were willing to perform this ~3 hour service on a Saturday & are open 6 days a week. Most of the vehicles I saw were luxury vehicles, there were several Porsches of varying ages. They appeared to be very busy the Saturday I went.

Re: the Dexcool they appear to have used the proper one. I asked them probing questions about the service beforehand (specifying the coolant and three systems to be serviced.) I dealt with Frank and he appeared to be a competent mechanic. I hope I can save my fellow South Floridians some money on their Volt service! Note the shop is WAAAY down in Kendall near the executive airport. Quite a haul for Broward/Palm Beach folks, but could be worth it.

CoolantServiceInvoice.jpg

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts