GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual states that we should check coolant levels once a month (page 11-3). I just looked under the hood of my one month old 2013 Volt. The coolant tanks look pretty full but I am not sure how low they should go before I need to put in more coolant. The problem is that I can't find the low coolant marks on the tanks. Can someone please tell me where they are? The two arrows I see seem to be the high mark lines. Thanks. Below are the photos:

Engine Cooling tank:

Coolant for High voltage battery:

Coolant for power electronics and charger modules:

·
Registered
654 Posts
The Tank with the Anti tamper bracket - ignore the markings, it supposed to be just above the seam - being a new car it still may be bleeding a bit of air from the battery circuit, so let it be - mine took over a month to settle.

Please search forum for battery coolant level on forum for more details.
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?13192-What-is-the-PROPER-battery-coolant-level&highlight=coolant+levels

GM really should put a sticker on the battery tank it's just asking for trouble .... to fill the tank to match the traction motor one).

min that's a good question. guess when it's way below the tank seams it time to head to your dealer.

PS
Ice engine is perfect,
Traction slightly under - still ok
and
Battery which is your lowest one is actually over filled - but vehicle is still new and may have trapped air pockets like mine had.
(I take it you parked on a level surface) The battery one is critical that only Hybrid coolant is used by qualified dealer mechanic.

Cheers,
Martin

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
the battery tank has a fluid level sensor at the bottom which you can just see in your picture.

The old post with fill level pictures talks about the special vacuum filling device. Not sure if needed to just add a small amount of fluid.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Gee, I've had mine for 2 years next week and NEVER checked the coolant levels, LOL. maybe I'd better break down, follow y'all's good examples, and do it.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
This IS a confusing issue... The markings on the tanks are somewhat misleading. (Especially after the battery safety enhancement.) The Battery tank with the tamper guard should not be touched by anyone except a certified Volt mechanic. The level is within the correct range in your pictures.

The other tank is for the engine loop. It appears to be within range as well. In general... I don't bother checking mine. I let the dealer check it when I bring it in for a tire rotation & inspection. They tend not to need much attention unless you run the engine every day.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Just to be clear the added fluid level sensor in the battery tank is a (low level alarm) ie leak not a "you have too much" level alarm.

battery safety enhancement. the 2011 and some 2012 had this added by dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts