GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Volt base - Silver Topaz
31 Posts
My 2013 Volt had a bad coolant heater, a know problem for this generation. I couldn't find any repair videos for it, so I made one myself:

https://youtu.be/NgJM6vpHGQE

I'm not sure how common this problem is currently, since some would have been done under warranty by now, or replaced at the dealer. Last winter was the first time I used it since I bought it last year, so I only discovered it then. I had no warranty left, and my local dealership wanted $1700 to replace it. I didn't feel like spending that kind of money, and didn't feel confident in their abilities from my visit with them.

Due to school and work, I've just now been able to get around to replacing it. I finished it yesterday as of this post, so I haven't been able to test the actual heating functionality in the cabin, since I'm in Texas where it's 90-100 F outside. I'll update come winter. I did it now because I'll be moving for college, and I don't think the apartments will want me doing this in their lot.

If anyone is still sitting on the fence about replacing the heater, has time on their hands, and good with tools, then hopefully this video helps.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Nice! This DIY just saved you over a grand!:cool:

BTW: Only additional step you could perform would be to verify this replacement K10 is running the most recent GM calibration...since it threw no DTC/CEL this would be an optional step I suppose!;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will definitely have to check the calibration if I can. All I've got is a Harbor Freight code scanner, but it does let me check live data. I did forget to mention that I indeed had no DTC's before replacement. I will have to double check after a while to make sure none have popped up, and the readiness is set.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's been getting cold here many times recently (20's-40's F), and so far the car seems to stay nice and warm on EV mode alone. Have had no coolant leaks or anything of the sort, and no fault codes either. I'm considering this a verified fix.

·
Registered
516 Posts
When my 2013 was new, it had a problem where the heat would work only when the ICE was running. They fixed it with a software update. No parts were replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts