GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read just about every thread and still can't make up my mind. I'm in Chicago and will be using separate snow tires for winter. My priorities in order are 1)noise, 2)smooth ride/handling, 3)mpg's, 4)tread life. Price is almost identical. I believe the Continentals are lighter in weight. Many here love theirs, some are ambivalent, others complain about tire slap and road noise. Both top rated in consumer mags. I'm open to other recommendations as well in this price range.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I've got 10K miles on my PureContacts, and I've lost about 10% EV range. This corresponds with my monthly OnStar report of kwHrs/mile. I note the PureContacts are a lot wider than my original FuelMax tires, and that may be part of the reason.

I saw a Consumer Reports review of the PureContact tire, and it does not have as good rolling resistance as the TrueContacts. There is a running review from forum member Dutch where it appears the TrueContacts are better than the PureContacts:
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?262705-Continental-True-Contact-w-Eco-Plus-Running-review

YMMV. The PureContacts are a good tire, but I'm disappointed in the loss of EV range.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Tire rack .com has the spec listing for every tire. I would research for light weight and narrow tread width. Several owners have by mistake put wider Goodyear Fuel Max on and it hurts range badly. FYI on my 2011 with 106,500 miles I'm running Michelin Primacy MXV4's great tire but yes not as much range or gas mileage as the OEM Goodyears.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Why not Michelin Energy Saver A/S or Bridgestone Ecopia? Both have proven themselves as great LRR tires. The gen2’s come with the Michelin’s and the Nissan Leafs come with the Bridgestone’s.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies so far. Clearly there is no easy winner, after reading about each tire on various forums and consumer review sites. The Michelin Energy Savers may get the best MPG, but they do cost about $200 more for the set than the Continentals. Caronjeff, I had the MXV4's on all my Lexus LS400's, so quiet and comfortable, but like you said not great with rolling resistance.
I ended up getting a set of Michelin X-ice winter tires and wheels as I predict a snowy winter in Chicago, so I should be able to squeeze 1 more year on my all-seasons before replacing them. Will see what the consensus is next year!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I had Pirelli Cinturato P7 for ~50K then switched to the PureContacts which now have about ~5K on them. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 wins on 1)noise, 2)smooth ride/handling, and 3)mpg's. but only by a small margin on each. Can't report on tread life yet. For me, I was able to get the PureContacts for substantially less cost, so that was a contributing factor for me.

Price being the same, I'd get the Pirelli Cinturato P7's. Both are great tires, but the Pirelli's are slightly better.

Edit: My original post on the topic: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...lli-Cinturato-P7-vs.-Continental-True-Contact

1 - 6 of 6 Posts