GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after around 30K miles, my Goodyear OEM tires needed replaced. I attempted in vain to get the OEM Goodyear Assurance FuelMax, which was backordered everywhere into mid-May, as well as the Bridgestone Ecopias with the a similar backorder.

I found available some Continental PureContacts, which are LRR tires as well as being one of the few tires that meets the Euro spec for low rolling resistance. After reviewing posts on the forum, I had high hopes for these tires.

The bad...
So far at 500 miles into these new tires, I've experienced a 15% range hit. This was unfortunate because I typically just cruise into my garage with 1 to 6 miles of range remaining in Spring through Fall conditions on my daily commute. With this range loss, I am using gas almost everyday, even with no climate control :( Hopefully this improves over time - but I don't expect to pick up anywhere near what I've lost for at least a year or 20K miles based on the tread depth difference.

The good...
These tires are amazingly quiet. The handling is outstanding. I never thought I'd notice the difference in handling, but it truly makes the Volt feel like it's riding on rails. The OEM tires wallowed and rolled over a bit through turns, but I never really noticed until this huge improvement. The ride comfort and wet traction are also noticeably improved.

I kept the originals at 45psi, and have been running the Conti's at 47psi so far, so inflation is not a concern with the range difference or the ride comfort improvement.

Just wanted to give another data point for those considering tires.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I have the same tires and my experience is similar. My range dropped a lot then improved slightly after about a month or so, to about 15% and stayed there for about five months. After about 8,000 miles range crept up to about 90% of the original range. That's where I'm at now. This may sound bad but I wouldn't trade these tires for anything else. As you say, they are incredibly quiet and smooth riding, and handle well in both the dry and wet. They are wearing really well and hold air pressure well, something the OEM tires didn't do very well.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I'd take better handling and a deeper tread over range any day. The safety of me and my family wins out over a few miles of EV range. So instead of getting 95 mpg I'm getting 85 mpg. It still blows away any Prius.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I purchased the TrueContacts about a month ago, but haven't put them on yet. I am going to put them on in June. According to TireRack they were the most LLR tire they tested in that group and had the best overall MPGs while still maintaining excellent wet and dry traction with a superb comfortable ride. I will try to update after a few weeks to note the differences.

·
Registered
692 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Range update. After 2500 miles, I would say that I'm down around 10% range reduction from OEM tires. At this rate I could have my range back by winter.

·
Registered
271 Posts
reviews on tire rack, and my experience with continental dws tires in the past indicate these tires might not last too many miles. How are they wearing?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tires generally get lower and lower rolling resistance the older they get. You took off old, dried out, hard tires that are at their lowest rolling resistance and putting on brand new, sticky tires with the highest rolling resistance they will ever have. Yes, they may be a little higher resistance than the OEMs but most likely they are within a few percent of the OEM tires when they were brand new.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I purchased the TrueContacts about a month ago, but haven't put them on yet. I am going to put them on in June. According to TireRack they were the most LLR tire they tested in that group and had the best overall MPGs while still maintaining excellent wet and dry traction with a superb comfortable ride. I will try to update after a few weeks to note the differences.
Since this thread received a "bump" I will give an update on my tires. The TrueContacts are a superior tire in every measure over the stock OEM except for range. The TrueContacts handle much better with a soft, extremely quiet ride, have much better overall wet and dry traction by far. I am very pleased. On a full charge, even after about 4k miles this summer, I have lost about an average of 4 miles per full charge. Anyone looking for a superior tire over the stock OEMs, then this is an excellent choice. Check out the comparo on TireRack and they said this tire hits the mark in every category and they wouldn't change a thing about it. If EV range is the utmost importance, then stick with the OEMs. So instead of 40-44, I will get 36-40 with the new tires. Now, what was I getting when the car was new? I am not sure. But, I have lost about 4 miles of total range per charge. I replaced the stock OEMs at 36K as they were down to 4/32s.

On a side note, and I simply still cannot explain this, my EV range has been reduced by about 4 miles with the TrueContacts; however, my ICE range has stayed identical @ 40 MPG. Don't ask, I haven't got a clue, but there it is just like clockwork....40 MPG, which is what it has always been under the same set of circumstances.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Over the July 4th weekend, one of the rear wheels on MY2013 got curbed and the tire sidewall was damaged. I went to Discount Tire and ended up getting Yokohama YK740 GTX because 1) it would take a few days for the OEM Goodyear tires to arrive on order and 2) the sales guy assured me the YK740s were fuel efficient as well. I replaced 2 tires and they were put on the rear.

After 6+ weeks with the Yokohama YK740 GTX tires, I decided that I needed to go back to Discount Tire to have them replaced. Over this time, I saw about a 10% decrease in my EV range (4-5 miles range) and on the few times I was using gas, it was also about 10% less mpg. I realize that some EV range loss is expected with newer tires, but the other thing I noticed was tire noise on certain roads. When I first noticed it, I thought a truck was passing me, then I realized it was my rear tires making the noise.

In fairness, Discount Tire is true to their return policy, I only paid $33 mainly for the install of the replacement tires. Based on further research, I asked for them to replace the Yokohamas with the Continental PureContacts. I have only driven on them a couple of days, but my quick thoughts were: quieter than the Yokos, and yesterday it was estimating 50 miles on range. It would have been 46 had it been the Yokohamas.

I will have to see how much of a hit in range I get with the PureContacts. However, I am enjoying the quiet and smoother ride from them, and I have yet to replace the GY front tires with 44K miles on them. I will keep psi at around 42. I've tried 45 before but felt the tires were too stiff then (although maybe they might feel better with the Continental?).

·
Registered
902 Posts
I am more worried about winter traction than efficiency. I am making the switch to Michelin X-Ice today. I am going to keep winter tires year-round in the mountains. I am not worried about tread wear. I drive less than 10,000 miles per year. Depending on the difference in performance, I may return to an all-season tire in a couple of years. Look for updates.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
reviews on tire rack, and my experience with continental dws tires in the past indicate these tires might not last too many miles. How are they wearing?
I've only got about 7000 miles on the tires at this point and there is no sign of wear abnormal or otherwise. Tread is extremely deep compared to OEM, so I'm sure that contributes to the 10% range loss I still have. On our hills and curvy roads, no tires seem to last longer than 40K miles here before all the corners are scrubbed off, and I don't expect these to be different.

I've had no issues with rain or hydroplaning as I experienced on stock tires later in life, and I'd expect these to be fairly good in snow at this point. The Volt doesn't really seem to need winter tires in my environment like my previous car did. I used Blizzak WS-70 tires to make my Prius a serviceable car that would get out of my neighborhood in 3+ inches of snow and have not needed similar for the Volt.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've only got about 7000 miles on the tires at this point and there is no sign of wear abnormal or otherwise. Tread is extremely deep compared to OEM, so I'm sure that contributes to the 10% range loss I still have. On our hills and curvy roads, no tires seem to last longer than 40K miles here before all the corners are scrubbed off, and I don't expect these to be different.

I've had no issues with rain or hydroplaning as I experienced on stock tires later in life, and I'd expect these to be fairly good in snow at this point. The Volt doesn't really seem to need winter tires in my environment like my previous car did. I used Blizzak WS-70 tires to make my Prius a serviceable car that would get out of my neighborhood in 3+ inches of snow and have not needed similar for the Volt.
thanks, went with the michelins for the wifes volt and might get these on mine soon

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have 12,000 miles on my PureContacts at this point. I have no real complaints. Plenty quiet, and range is satisfactory with no problems achieving 4 miles/KwH and even occasional 50+ mile charges. Also really love the wet weather performance, as they really seem to throw water away from the treads. Keeping them around 44 PSI cold. I'm in Berkshire county, MA.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I have 24k miles on my Yokohama avid ascends at this point and there's no sign of any wear. I'm probably exaggerating a little, but they are rated for 80k miles and my first set of Goodyears started showing signs of wear at about 20K miles and really needed to be replaced at 34k miles. I know I'm taking a mileage hit with these tires, but it's hard to tell how much the hit was because I also added 18" wheels and I stopped driving like a grandpa and now go 70mph on the interstate daily, so I've changed 3 variables, not one. I've even stopped rotating tires following my previous pattern inspired by my 1989 BmW owner's manual which says to not rotate at all and let the tires settle into their respective spots.

I can corner like crazy now and there's lots of traction I'm the rain. These tires have yet to see snow as last year was disappointing in terms of snow.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just chiming in, that I had a good experience with PureContact w/ EcoPlus.
I went from 8K mile 215-50-17 Energy Saver [OEM] to 225-45-18 PureContact.

I did not experience any noticeable change in range.
I regularly get 100+ MPGe (similar to before).
Interestingly, I am running low tire pressures @ 34 cold.
Could be that my comparison was nearly-new vs new, so tread depths & weight were more comparable.

As others stated, handling is hugely improved.
However, I found noise and harshness to be higher (although still very acceptable).
But then I am comparing 17" vs 18", so that is expected.

I also have a bit of a stretch-fitment, w/ a 225 on an 8" wheel.
Not sure if that helps range, but it does stiffen the sidewall.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
How did you decide on the 34 psi that you are using?
Completely unintentional.
I asked the shop to fill to 38, but they underfilled some tires.
I matched all at 36, but now the cooler weather has them at 34.

It's a nitrogen fill, so I need to get back to the shop for a top-off.
My goal is to roll warm at 38ish [36 cold].
Right now I'm rolling warm at 36ish [34 cold].
I like the comfort and grip, at the lower pressure, it feels perfect.
However, I do want to try and shoot for some more range.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Completely unintentional.
I asked the shop to fill to 38, but they underfilled some tires.
I matched all at 36, but now the cooler weather has them at 34.

It's a nitrogen fill, so I need to get back to the shop for a top-off.
My goal is to roll warm at 38ish [36 cold].
Right now I'm rolling warm at 36ish [34 cold].
I like the comfort and grip, at the lower pressure, it feels perfect.
However, I do want to try and shoot for some more range.
Adding 2 PSI plain old air is going to be 78% nitrogen to begin with, and very little of the rest.

Don't let anyone sell you any shinola about mixing nitrogen fills and plain air. It's not like they mount the tires in a vaccuum, so you're at about 6.5% oxygen in the tire already from what was in it when then put it on the rim.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts