GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Consumer Reports predicts "average" reliability for Model 3; Tesla takes offense

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/19/con...slas-model-3-to-have-average-reliability.html

Hey, "average" isn't bad at all, right?? IIRC, the '17 Volt has a "below average" reliability rating by CR.

But, as usual, Tesla takes a perfectly fine "average" projected reliability rating as a slam, and responds accordingly.

"Consumer Reports has not yet driven a Model 3, let alone do they know anything substantial about how the Model 3 was designed and engineered," said a Tesla spokesperson. "Time and time again, our own data shows that Consumer Reports' automotive reporting is consistently inaccurate and misleading to consumers."

That's like 1 step short of calling CR #FAKENEWS!! :rolleyes:

Maybe if Tesla didn't want "predicted" reliability ratings, they get some REAL Model 3's into the hands of review mags? How about that concept?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
It is kind of like a lot of things. When CR is praise and it is beneficial, the people that benefit love it. When it is critical, and it is not beneficial, people hate it. Kind of like talking points in politics :)

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
CR has a fairly consistent track record of bias against new car designs, especially hybrids and true EV.

·
2,358 Posts
Well, that was uncalled for. I think Tesla should be happy with that result. Average reliability is enough to earn CR's recommendation. I think CR is giving Tesla the benefit of the doubt.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is kind of like a lot of things. When CR is praise and it is beneficial, the people that benefit love it. When it is critical, and it is not beneficial, people hate it. Kind of like talking points in politics
I'm starting to wonder if Sean Spicey got a PR gig at tesla.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I think CR ratings are garbage. This was proved when Toyota had so many problems with its cars but the ratings on CR weren't affected. I have no idea why the ratings are so off but they are.

As for the Tesla rating, given that the Model S and Model X are likely the two least reliable cars on the market, predicting the Model 3 will be "average" seems like the triumph of hope over experience. But whatever. The Model 3 isn't even available for testing. Time will tell whether Tesla has moved up the learning curve or not.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
No news masquerading as news. Hmmm.....

As for the Tesla rating, given that the Model S and Model X are likely the two least reliable cars on the market, predicting the Model 3 will be "average" seems like the triumph of hope over experience.
Unless the reliability is average for a Tesla, in which case it's kind of a smear.

The crystal ball says.....

NOTHING! It's a ball.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Well, that should save CR tons of money each year.

Just predict the quality of the products before they come out.

They might need to get a custom made Magic Eight Ball though.

Here's all they have to work with -
● It is certain
● It is decidedly so
● Without a doubt
● Yes definitely
● You may rely on it
● As I see it, yes
● Most likely
● Outlook good
● Yes
● Signs point to yes
● Reply hazy try again
● Ask again later
● Better not tell you now
● Cannot predict now
● Concentrate and ask again
● Don't count on it
● My reply is no
● My sources say no
● Outlook not so good
● Very doubtful

On the new Sony 70 inch OLED coming out, we rate it:
Picture quality - As I see it, yes
Ease of setup - Better not tell you now
Value - Concentrate and ask again
Reliability - You may rely on it

·
Administrator
21,036 Posts
This uh, "news" is more an indictment of Consumer Reports as an unreliable source than it is of the Model 3 reliability.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/19/con...slas-model-3-to-have-average-reliability.html

"Consumer Reports has not yet driven a Model 3, let alone do they know anything substantial about how the Model 3 was designed and engineered," said a Tesla spokesperson. "Time and time again, our own data shows that Consumer Reports' automotive reporting is consistently inaccurate and misleading to consumers."

That's like 1 step short of calling CR #FAKENEWS!! :rolleyes:

Maybe if Tesla didn't want "predicted" reliability ratings, they get some REAL Model 3's into the hands of review mags? How about that concept?
Seems like many haven't driven a Model 3. If on time delivery was part of reliability the Model 3 would already be below average. CR might be just guessing, but it doesn't sound like an unreasonable guess. Just have to wait until there are enough cars out there to find out who's right.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I read the forums, such as this one, to get a "sense" of what kind of problems I might have to deal with. Folks seem to post problems more often than posting "praise". So my gut feeling is that the Volt, like any mass production car, is likely to have its fair share of problems. I get the same feeling from what I read on the Tesla forum. When it comes to evaluating such a major expensive purchase such as a car it pays to read and research as much as you can. And that includes Consumer Reports. But I certainly would not base a purchase decision solely on their findings.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Actually, I find them to be quite reliable!

This uh, "news" is more an indictment of Consumer Reports as an unreliable source than it is of the Model 3 reliability.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
I'm 65 and grew up with daily newspapers, magazines (car magazines, various periodicals to include CR) in our house and for a few decades that was to "go to" source for info a family/individual couldn't get any where else. But fast forward to today, we have many more choices and many without any political or financial ties to a product or manufacture.

So the question should be, is CR relevant today. IMHO I say NO. CR no longer has my ear so their pronouncements mean nothing to me nor do I care.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
What was the reliability found for Tesla's other cars? Perhaps they are basing it on Tesla's practice of initially releasing cars that will be fixed later.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What was the reliability found for Tesla's other cars? Perhaps they are basing it on Tesla's practice of initially releasing cars that will be fixed later.
Model S: Above average
Model X: Well below average

I think averaged out it'd be equal to a "slight below average" score, so CR is giving Tesla the benefit of the doubt by giving the Model 3 an "average" predicted rating.

Does anyone here actually think early Model 3's will be anything better than "average" for reliability? I have a feeling it's gonna join the Model X at the bottom.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
This speculation by CR is not unreasonable. Many first-year cars by all OEMs come out of the factory with some defects. Major model changes, such as 2013 Volt, don’t fair well either.

What would be unreasonable is to be too far either direction from ‘average’ for a car CR has never seen. Since they buy all cars they evaluate, they won’t get a Model 3 for years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
CR's reliability statistics come from reader surveys, which are mailed to subscribers. It suffers from the fact that responses are most likely to come from owners who are annoyed with their car manufacturer, and from statistically unreliability where a model has a small number of responses. I consider their data untrustworthy. It is further aggravated by them making up data for new models for which they have no responses.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
2,358 Posts
I'm a subscriber and I participate in the survey. I also participate at TrueDelta.

There are two things TrueDelta does better than CR still hasn't addressed.

1. CR only asks people to report problems they "consider serious". That subjectivity can introduce bias. TrueDelta simply asks about all problems.

2. CR only surveys once a year, in the spring, and the results come out in the fall. It requires people to remember everything that happened over the previous year. TrueDelta surveys quarterly.

On the other hand, CR has a larger database and a whole team of statisticians. It's best to look at both sources to get an accurate sense of reliability.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts