GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This latest issue of Consumer Reports contains an article on today's hybrids and outlines (very brief) the future of plug-in hybrids .. including (under the 2010 and later category) the Chevrolet Volt, Fisker Karma, Saturn Vue and Toyota plug-in. For the 2009, they list the Toyota Prius (redesign) .. whatever that means.

For those that feel the need to get a current hybrid to last until the plug-in models are available, the article shows a comparison of each current hybrid model against it's gasoline equivalent in a five-year cost of ownership.. some "win" and some "don't win". (The Toyota Prius is compared with the Toyota Corolla XLE, since there is no non-hybrid Prius.) The Toyota Prius and Camry Hybrid "win" over their gasoline counterparts. The Lexus GS 450h Hybrid looses.

The issue also has an article that lists high mileage gasoline vehicles (small cars) that they recommend as an alternative, that are cheaper than hybrids.

In addition, and further off-topic, there's a comparison of (all gasoline) manual vs. automatic transmission. Under category of Price, fuel consumption (MPG) and performance (0 to 60 mph in seconds).. the Manual transmission "wins" in all three categories.

Lastly, there's a "pro & con" article on alternative fuels.. diesel, ethanol, biodiesel and natural gas. Basically "brief" but Not bad.

(There are some additional articles that discuss saving money on your automobile.. and saving energy to save money .. but how far off-topic do you want me to go? :D )

·
Registered
200 Posts
Auto vs. manual

In the automatic transmission vs. manual segment, do they actually TEST mileage? Or use the EPA mileage? While I still strongly prefer a manual for most vehicles, I realize that automatics suck much less than they used to, and the EPA figures are pretty close these days. One of the few things that I see as a personal negative for the advent of practical electric cars is that they'll likely all be either single-speed or some sort of automatic system (CVT, 2-range, etc.)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Consumer reports continues (unfairly, IMO) to compare the Prius with the Corolla. I think it makes more sense to ask whether the total package makes sense.

StephenB

·
Registered
200 Posts
Consumer reports continues (unfairly, IMO) to compare the Prius with the Corolla. I think it makes more sense to ask whether the total package makes sense.

StephenB
The most direct comparison within the Toyota line doesn't exist... as far as interior space is concerned, the Prius is something like a Camry hatchback (probably between the Matrix and an imaginary Camry hatch.) Consumer Reports likes to compare things, and when they're doing a hybrid-vs-conventional comparison it makes sense to compare within the same make, it's just that Toyota doesn't have a directly comparable ICE-only product to the Prius.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the automatic transmission vs. manual segment, do they actually TEST mileage?
Good question.. I'll have to look at it again when I get home and confirm this, but I suspect that it doesn't say. (It looks like EPA numbers.) One of the weaknesses of the publication is that they often don't say where they get or what they use for their numbers.

Usually, Consumer Reports only talks about today's products. It's noteworthy that they point-out the map ahead.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Consumer Reports

I quit Con Sumer reports when they slammed the Isuzu Trooper. They faked the rollover in their tests when they couldn't get the trooper to roll, and published it. They were sued by Isuzu and lost in Court, but the punitive damages awarded were nil. The negative PR was another nail in Isuzu's coffin, added to death anchor of being saddled to GM. I wouldn't trust that rag to wipe my ahs with. If it sells, they will fabricate "data" and go with it. If you want to try anything, why not look to the EPA garage ?? :mad:

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I quit Con Sumer reports when they slammed the Isuzu Trooper. ... If it sells, they will fabricate "data" and go with it. If you want to try anything, why not look to the EPA garage ?? :mad:
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do
Go easy, my friend.

I did look back.. (as promised in my prior post on this thread) .. and in this case, they do make the statement that they did the tests, rather than use the EPA data. Besides the point, but you do make a good one. Why not use and quote the EPA data? As they (not any specific "they") "your mileage may vary". At a glance. I thought that the data "looked" like EPA data. I have not done the point by point comparison. If their numbers come up spot on with EPA, it would be suspect!

My point of this posting was to mention that a mainstream publication discusses the forward looking concept of competition among the plug-in hybrid vehicles rather than to promote a specific publication. (I am not a subscriber, just bought the one issue on impulse!) I hope that other mainstream publications will also cover this topic. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts