GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote: Issues with the drive system, power equipment, and cabin electronics have turned up in recent years.

The Prius Prime gets (91%) and the i3 gets (89%).

Can anyone corroborate this low reliability claim. It will be anecdotal evidence but I am surprised by these numbers since I have not seen much evidence or complaints about G2 Volts from owners on this site and elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Two 16s, no trouble at all. 2018 transmission failure before delivery. Not sure if it means anything other than a bad part and bad luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Quote: Issues with the drive system, power equipment, and cabin electronics have turned up in recent years.

The Prius Prime gets (91%) and the i3 gets (89%).

Can anyone corroborate this low reliability claim. It will be anecdotal evidence but I am surprised by these numbers since I have not seen much evidence or complaints about G2 Volts from owners on this site and elsewhere.
This is the fundamental flaw with CR's automotive reliability scores - CR mixes critical and non-critical equipment. Cabin electronics are NOT critical, but the drive system is. A car can have a perfect 100% score on Drive System and a 0% score on Cabin Electronics and CR will give it a 50%.

·
Registered
485 Posts
This is the fundamental flaw with CR's automotive reliability scores - CR mixes critical and non-critical equipment. Cabin electronics are NOT critical, but the drive system is. A car can have a perfect 100% score on Drive System and a 0% score on Cabin Electronics and CR will give it a 50%.
100% accurate. I remember reading a comparison a few years back which listed I think the Mazda CX-9 as the most unreliable large crossover, and the only knock on it was that owners reported intermittent issues with a finnicky infotainment system.

·
Registered
66 Posts
100% accurate. I remember reading a comparison a few years back which listed I think the Mazda CX-9 as the most unreliable large crossover, and the only knock on it was that owners reported intermittent issues with a finnicky infotainment system.
Agree. I've been a subscriber to CR for over 20 years, mostly because I think there needs to be an independent testing organization, just to catch the really bad stuff and keep manufacturers honest, not because I trust their reviews. I've bought stuff they recommended that I thought was junk and visa-versa. Much like Amazon reviews, you need to read the reviews to see what is being considered, not just look at the ratings.

·
Administrator
20,232 Posts
I read an interview with one of CR's editors in 2011 where he claimed the Volt's electric drive would be very uneconomical for the owner. He trashed the car.

Let's see, my $1.30 charge takes me 40 miles. Gas would need to be $1.30/gal and my car would need to get 40 MPG to match that economy.

I cancelled my subscription.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I read an interview with one of CR's editors in 2011 where he claimed the Volt's electric drive would be very uneconomical for the owner. He trashed the car.

Let's see, my $1.30 charge takes me 40 miles. Gas would need to be $1.30/gal and my car would need to get 40 MPG to match that economy.

$1.30/gal for premium too. But if you wanted to drive the Volt on gas exclusively, you are better off buying a hybrid.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts

This was the era where GM could do nothing right in CR's eyes, but Chrysler could do no wrong. If the Volt had been a Chrysler product CR would have given it a best buy and the transmission, even as mechanically simple as it is, would have failed at 40,000 miles, well after CR was no longer looking.

·
Registered
248 Posts
We've always had GM cars over the years (with the exception of two identical Infiniti G35s). CR has always trashed every model GM car we have had, and our experience with the cars was excellent -- the opposite of what CR predicted. CR gave the G35 a top rating, and we had nothing but problems with both cars. That says it all.

I ignore CR car assessments, including this one. We have had zero issues with the drive system, power equipment or cabin electronics on our 2017 Volt Premier. I don't know where CR gets its data from, but come to think of it I can think of a place where they pull it out of but will refrain from mentioning it in polite company. ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think people have differing opinions on what, exactly, reliability means. My 2017 Volt is 100% reliable in that it turns on and goes every time I need it to (so far).

On the other hand, I have had the following issues:

1. Interior trim pieces that were not properly snapped together at the factory (I snapped them together myself)
2. Hatch bumpers that were misadjusted, resulting in loud rattling from the hatch even on smooth roads (I adjusted them myself)
3. Various other interior rattles
3. Cruise control that only worked intermittently (dealer fixed with new brake pedal retainer and position sensor)
4. Exhaust pop (software update fixed, but it wasn't available until I owned the car a year and a half)
5. Multiple one-off software glitches which were fixed by turning the car off and on again
6. Squeaking/moaning noise from the brakes when applying/releasing the parking brake or stepping on the brake harder than usual

My previous Mazda had zero issues like this over a 3y/30k lease (twice as long as I've owned the Volt so far). It went to the dealer for oil changes and tire rotations. I'd still buy the Volt again, but not because I've been impressed with the quality. There's still nothing else on the market that compares well to it. Everything else has less electric range, less acceleration, etc.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
)
How can they rate a 2019 so early?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
That was my first thought but either it was a survey on Gen2 Volts or a incidents during warranty, like first 90 days (or portion there of) in other words, faults from the factory survey.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Neither CU ratings nor anecdotal reports on this forum are statistically reliable, but one factor that seems recurring is uneven quality. But, only Chevy knows whether problems are significant or random and they'll never disclose this data. I have a very early '16 and have never had a squeak, rattle, thump, banging, ill-fitting panel, or any other of the common mentions on this forum.(other than a beyond-warranty shift to park problem thankfully fixed at no cost) Luck? Dunno, but ALL Volts should leave the factory as good. Maybe 90% do.....

·
Registered
897 Posts
This is exactly the case.

Plus they don't don't talk about what the real effects of the reliability issues are to the owner. Sometimes they are no big deal.

For example my other car is a 2011 Cruze Eco, a car obermd once had too. I'm quite certain it has been less reliable than say a typical Corolla, and CR has it on their used cars to avoid list. They hate the gen1 Cruze, especially the early ones.

However all that has meant to me is a couple trips to the dealer for repairs under warranty. No breakdowns, and never a tow needed. Since the warranty ended, I've spent all of 28 bucks on repairs.

I'll take my Cruze over a Corolla every time, even with the few extra trips to the dealer.
Same for our 2018 Volt over a Prius.

As for our now one year old Volt, yesterday was it's first trip back to the dealer.....for an oil change. We've had ZERO problems.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,232 Posts
This was the era where GM could do nothing right in CR's eyes, but Chrysler could do no wrong. If the Volt had been a Chrysler product CR would have given it a best buy and the transmission, even as mechanically simple as it is, would have failed at 40,000 miles, well after CR was no longer looking.

Yes, I had a Chrysler company car for a while. The transmission was always an issue, despite repairs.

·
Registered
974 Posts
As I told my wife, things are a lot different today than they were in previous decades, especially those leading up to the late 90's in terms of the quality of vehicles. Last time we looked at a new vehicle she wouldn't look at a Ford because of the bad experiences they had with them growing up. Automation, lean manufacturing and error proofing has improved quality significantly. The vehicles of today have way fewer issues, and last a lot longer than they used to. Chevy as a brand did fairly well on the JD Powers 2018 reliability study, ahead of Hyundai, BMW, Toyota, and Honda. (see below). In today's world, the difference between the brands isn't that huge, and vehicles today scoring a 2.5 or 3 are pretty good over all, and much better than they used to be, especially with paint quality, rust proofing, critical fasteners, engines and transmissions.

Infotainment systems are computers. They need rebooting occasionally, go figure.

jdpower-problems-per-100.jpg

Pure electric vehicles versus internal combustion engines is going to be another leap forward in terms of reliability, simplicity and price.

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am thinking of dropping my subscription to consumer reports after 20 or so years of subscribing. The copy usually ends up in the trash without getting read anymore. For the most part, I find their reviews sanctimonious, anal, and aimed at how a total 'airhead' might be affected by the item being reviewed. Often they are subjective reviews disguised to appear objective.
I also love the idea of an independent review, but Consumer report doesn't fit the bill. I can usually find a more balanced, trustworthy review of an item out on the Web from other sources.

·
Registered
335 Posts
How can they rate a 2019 so early?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
I guess chevy did not pay for CR...
My 2016 has rock solid 30k miles. Came in twice for dealership for free oil change and s/w update. That's it.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
661 Posts
Haven’t trusted CR on cars for a long time. They drool over Japanese cars without hesitation and the CR report on the 2016 had so many factual errors it looks like it was written by an amateur. Dropped CR magazine years ago as well.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Take this for what it is: my own opinion which has a weight of about one in 60,000... but I never trust publication reviews as they carry about the same weight: one or up to maybe a few out of 60,000 owners in the case of the gen2 Volt. IMO, there is no place for publications like CR in this day and age when you can go read consumer reviews for anything at places like Edmunds for cars, Amazon for appliances and such, Google Reviews for restaurants, attorneys, stores, and so on. Particularly with something like cars, I'd rather go to Edmunds and read owner reviews and make my own decision as to what is important there, rather than read dumbed down generalizations from biased publications like CR.

BTW, the 2018 Volt Edmunds owner rating: 4.5 out of 5. The 2019 is too new for ratings (which is what CR should have said).

Mike

1 - 20 of 34 Posts