GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
It has many flaws, among them the longer stopping distance. ['fixed' with OTA update; see 2nd CR video below]

https://jalopnik.com/consumer-reports-says-it-found-big-flaws-with-the-tesla-1826198783

UPDATE: First person knowledge from CR youtube on the situation.

Published on May 23, 2018
Consumer Reports has revealed that it would not be recommending the Tesla Model 3, in part due to poor braking performance. In response, Tesla CEO, Elon Musk agreed to meet with Jake Fisher, CR Auto Test Director, to talk [for about an hour regarding] our findings and discuss immediate updates Tesla might make. Hear all about that exclusive conversation this week on Talking Cars.

UPDATE2: First person knowledge on what CR found after an OTA update was done in a few days after it was reported
Title: We Re-Test Our Tesla Model 3's Braking Performance | Talking Cars #153
Consumer Reports
Published on May 30, 2018
Tesla sent an over-the-air software update to all Model 3's this past weekend, which included a fix for the long stopping distances we experienced during our initial testing. We discuss our new test results, and what role over-the-air updates will play in the future of automobiles.
video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOEivi7kgwk

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
The brake issue is the only thing that's new here. The center console has been ripped on before as too complex. Other than that why would I be interested in CR since my experience with cars is diametrically opposed to theirs. I'll look at the Car & Driver/Road & Track/Motortrend reports to get more accurate handling information, including stopping distance.

·
2,356 Posts
I knew the Model 3 wouldn’t do well in CR testing, but I never expected the Bolt would actually outscore it.

Overall score
Bolt: 77
Model 3: 72

Road test
Bolt: 76
Model 3: 75

Predicted reliability:
Bolt: 4/5
Model 3: 3/5

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Maybe the brakes on the Model 3 that CR tested were defective.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Consumer Reports doesn't like it?? Makes me want one all the more!

Don
Geez...what a quandary...CR doesn't like it...so does that mean I should actually order one?...I know if you go fully loaded on a Model 3 you are less than 6-8 weeks out from order date...thanks to all the people who are still waiting for the base variant...:)

·
Administrator
20,188 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Maybe the brakes on the Model 3 that CR tested were defective.
CR grabbed 2nd M3 to confirm. Same results.
Worse braking than F150.
That is very disappointing...
Hopefully s/w issue and not poorly designed brake system hardware.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
What I want to know is how did CR manage to get not one, but two Model 3s for testing, especially given the long waiting list for this car.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Car and Track also had not so great experiences with braking in the M3 though I think they mentioned getting wildly different results with different wheel sizes.

holy hell on that Edmunds review, still Elon is relying on the sycophants buying the car and putting up with it because they want to be part of the clique

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Car and Track also had not so great experiences with braking in the M3 though I think they mentioned getting wildly different results with different wheel sizes.

holy hell on that Edmunds review, still Elon is relying on the sycophants buying the car and putting up with it because they want to be part of the clique
I can fix brakes. But most folk cannot or will not.

Now the question will be:

Did the AutoPilot ANB (like AEB, but Automatic Non-Braking) ram the armored car, or did the skimpy brakes ram it? :D

I still don't see how an OTA update can cut a big hole in the floor so you can do Fred Flintstone stops. :confused:

For 2019, they you can order a High Performance Braking Package. You get all excited.

Until you realize it's 30' of chain and a boat anchor you throw out the window...

·
2,356 Posts
What I want to know is how did CR manage to get not one, but two Model 3s for testing, especially given the long waiting list for this car.
No mystery there. They bought one and borrowed one. They put their reservation in early and they were previous purchasers of both two Model S and a Model X, so they had high priority.

The waiting list for the launch version of the Model 3 was not long. The waiting list for the $35k version is long.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
No mystery there. They bought one and borrowed one. They put their reservation in early and they were previous purchasers of both two Model S and a Model X, so they had high priority.

The waiting list for the launch version of the Model 3 was not long. The waiting list for the $35k version is long.
I'm one of the Day One online orders. No invite after roughly 782 days. So I would say the launch variant line is long.

If the ABS is not programmed correctly, it simply means they did not perform adequate testing. Trivia, the Stingray stops in 91 feet, the CTS in 97 feet, the Malibu in 116 feet on 205 wide tires. This was not by 'accident' (har).

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
....If the ABS is not programmed correctly, it simply means they did not perform adequate testing. ....
But, but, but, this is Tesla. Is there an official story/excuse?

EDIT:
Here we go:
Stopping distance results are affected by variables such as road surface, weather conditions, tire temperature, brake conditioning, outside temperature, and past driving behavior that may have affected the brake system. Unlike other vehicles, Tesla is uniquely positioned to address more corner cases over time through over-the-air software updates,

So getting the brakes working correctly from the factory was too hard to do.

In their defense 'Brake conditioning' is a real procedure that most brand new cars need to 'bed in the pads'. Especially BEV's.
So is this important procedure covered in the Owner's Manual ?
An OTA SW update is not going to help with 'Brake Conditioning'.

EDIT 2:
What a guy !! They're going to pay the costs to fix the brakes !!!

"The CR braking result is inconsistent with other reviewers, but might indicate that some Model 3s have longer braking distances than others," he said.
"If so, we will address this at our expense. May just be a question of firmware tuning, in which case can be solved by an OTA software update."

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts