GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newcomer to the forum, which has been a great help as we research used Chevy Volts. Currently planning to test drive a 2015 Volt with 105,000 miles on it. (The price is great.) According to the car's Energy Info screen, the lifetime MPG is 34. Which makes me think this car has been run almost exclusively on gas.

A nearby Chevy dealer mechanic ran a pre-purchase inspection and noted squishy brake pedals and a noise from the rear of the car at highway speeds. Also probably needs an alignment and two tires could be replaced, but we're not as worried about those, unless these could be signs about a more expensive repair?

Thought I'd open this up to see if anyone had any advice or hesitations on a 2015 with this much mileage. Anything we should look out for?

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge and expertise on this forum.

Dave

·
Registered
195 Posts
I bought my used 2011 back in September of 2014 with 72,000 miles on it, sight unseen from a dealer 2000 miles away. Had it shipped, it has been an awesome car, now with 128,000 miles.
On your 2015, I would want to know what the noise is from the rear, and the brake pedal issue. Obviously it would be nice to find one under 100,000 miles for some type of voltec warranty, but in general the high miles wouldn't prevent a purchase if the other issues are resolved.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What's a great price? With about half it's effective life gone and no warranty it should be very cheap. Low price and good value aren't usually synonymous.

·
Registered
418 Posts
1. The battery and powertrain warranty is expired.
2. As you may know, the Volt has been discontinued. This means if you need a battery segment replacement, it won't be new. Battteries age just by sitting on the shelf.
3. A lifetime 35 mpg means it was never charged and used as intended. Therefore the cells didn't go through regular re-balancing.
4. Parts may be harder to come by in years to come.

If you're getting such a good deal that it's okay to junk it if a major repair pops up, then it may be worth your while. Otherwise I'd personally stay away.

·
Registered
790 Posts
That's a lot of mileage (especially on an ICE) in 3-4 years of use. Do you know what the car was used for in its previous life? Was it a fleet car or something like that? ICE components typically wear less in the Volt because the primary mode is electric but if the car was primarily used as a hybrid, you may want to see about performing whatever service a typical engine would require at 100k miles.

For that mileage, I would expect the price to be *really* great. If that's the case, then it might be worth it.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I love my 2015 Volt, but I never would have considered buying it if it had over 100K miles. Mine had 31K, with plenty of warranty left.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts