GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 2010 Prius and it meets my needs just fine but....
a PHEV would be a pretty cool step up without going all the way into a new Tesla.

I live in Fairbanks Alaska and there are quite a few hybrids on the road and actually about a dozen Tesla owners.

I have a local friend with a Volt so I will get his advice before purchasing.
also own an old AWD Pontiac Vibe and a low mileage 4wd highlander (nonhybrid) for my wife.

link attached

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great car for the great white north! Although 1 1/2 lower than other cars, the Gen 1 is very heavy for its size, thanks to its 400lb propulsion battery, almost 3800lbs. curb weight. This extra mass makes good winter tires bite better (especially with studs). The stability control will help keep you on the road. As long as you have a place to keep it plugged in when parked (to keep the battery warm), it'll need little else. When its really cold out, the engine will run even if there is plenty of charge...some people balk at this, but you know better then most that when its 40 below out, its good to have something to burn!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would buy something current production rather than the 2015 Volt. A used Bolt or Tesla would fit that criteria, but really if I was living there I'd consider putting myself on the waiting list for the Cybertruck. The Volt was a low production unique car which has now been discontinued. This means parts will likely be slower to come by, as well as service. My dealership has just 1 Volt tech, and service on my car is a lot slower as a result.

Reactions: AlaskaEV

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great car for the great white north! Although 1 1/2 lower than other cars, the Gen 1 is very heavy for its size, thanks to its 400lb propulsion battery, almost 3800lbs. curb weight. This extra mass makes good winter tires bite better (especially with studs). The stability control will help keep you on the road. As long as you have a place to keep it plugged in when parked (to keep the battery warm), it'll need little else. When its really cold out, the engine will run even if there is plenty of charge...some people balk at this, but you know better then most that when its 40 below out, its good to have something to burn!
Thanks for the info neighbor!
Now that I'm searching pretty seriously I have found a 2017 Volt LT and a 2012 Volt Premium for sale in Anchorage (350 miles from me) as well as this 2015 that I started this thread with. I'm also considering several 2020 Bolts as well. I actually really prefer the Volt because of the ICE as backup. I guess I have an excuse to fly into Anchorage for a day and I'll have several vehicles to check out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I see a 2012 Volt Premium for sale (in Alaska) for $10,500 it looks great but does have 90k miles and I assume no warranty left. I originally wasn't to interested but... maybe all the quirks or buggy parts that would fail have been fixed and I might get a long life out of it?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Of the vehicles mentioned, I'd put the 2017 LT at the top of the list.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts