GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would Volt hold up if I drive mostly on gas or "hold" mode? Wondering if the engine and transmission(?) can handle 200k miles? Please point me to a thread if one exist. I couldn't find any thread when searching. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Eric Balmer (sp?) and his car Sparkie are up over 400k miles. I doubt that was done mostly electric.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
How would Volt hold up if I drive mostly on gas or "hold" mode? Wondering if the engine and transmission(?) can handle 200k miles? Please point me to a thread if one exist. I couldn't find any thread when searching. Thanks.
It is pretty much a standard GM engine and the transmission is basically a gear box, much less complicated than a 'normal' ICE transmission. The only consequence would be that your gas bill would only be slightly less than an ICE car instead of extremely lower. Gas only MPG is 40+mpg.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'll be charging occasionally since it only covers half of my daily commute and no way to charge at work. I'll sometime charge at home overnight since it's currently parked outside and need to figure out how to get 220V closer to the car. Thanks.

·
Administrator
21,121 Posts
Thanks. I'll be charging occasionally since it only covers half of my daily commute and no way to charge at work. I'll sometime charge at home overnight since it's currently parked outside and need to figure out how to get 220V closer to the car. Thanks.
Charging overnight on 120V 12A may be enough. 240V will be twice as fast, but if you are home for 8 hours anyway, it's a moot point. So if you have a dedicated 120V 15A circuit (nothing else like a freezer sharing it), you may be good.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
There were plenty of GE employee operated GEN1 Volts that were next to 100% ICE operation...:)

·
Registered
874 Posts
My friend (who convinced me to get a Volt) actually almost never charges his, as his apartment complex doesn't allow it. He's had his several months longer than mine and has only had one service item (coolant leak, covered under warranty). If I had to guess, his is probably 98% gasoline miles.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My friend (who convinced me to get a Volt) actually almost never charges his, as his apartment complex doesn't allow it. He's had his several months longer than mine and has only had one service item (coolant leak, covered under warranty). If I had to guess, his is probably 98% gasoline miles.
I certainly wouldn't have bought a Volt if I couldn't charge mine daily. It sounds like it's really not the best type of car for him.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The 5ET50 is a brand new drivetrain so not sure if we can count on the Gen 1 experience. You might want to check out the Malibu hybrid forums as that?s a closer approximation of your Volt life ?gas only.? The Malibu hybrid uses a modified Gen 2 Voltec design.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Have you considered a Prius? If your commute is long enough you could potentially use less gas with it because it's more fuel efficient than a Volt in gas mode. Your commute would probably have to be at least a couple of hundred miles before hitting the crossover point, though.

Another alternative is the Bolt, which uses zero gas. If your round-trip commute is less than 200 miles it could also be a viable option.

I love the Volt concept, but minimizing gas usage is IMHO the more important goal.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I certainly wouldn't have bought a Volt if I couldn't charge mine daily. It sounds like it's really not the best type of car for him.
^ This ^ A higher mpg parallel hybrid would have served his driving habits better by saving him more money in gas in the long run.

·
Registered
874 Posts
The determining factor was the tax credit for a PHEV, but he thought he'd be able to charge it and then moved somewhere he couldn't

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Even if you had to drive just on gas with a 2016-18 Volt you would still get better mpg's than probably 90% of all the cars out there. Our 2016 Volt Premier has averaged over 46 mpg just on gas since purchased new in July 2016, and computed by voltstats.net for somewhere around 7,000 gas only miles.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I don't think anybody should be concerned about the life of the car between the two modes. It was meant to be driven extensively in either mode. The only difference between engine on and engine off is that the engine is running; all the same transmission parts are used in both modes. The Lithium battery may lose a tiny bit of its capacity slightly faster if it's never being charged to full, but it will be negligible for the most part.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
You will be disapointed driving an EREV on engine only. The Volt is great because of it's battery, not it's engine. The engine does weird things that only make sense if you are driving on EV most of the time. If you are always on engine, you'll just have a funny acting car.
Save your money and buy a good ICE car with good gas mileage. For near 40K, you will get a much better engine, and likely a more luxurious interior.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Also in terms of wear, the hardest work any ICE has to do accelerate from a stop to about 20mph. This is where fuel economy is poorest and the most engine wear can happen. In the Volt, I believe the battery buffer is used (even if depleted) to get the car going from a stop so there would be less wear on the motor over time due to this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks. Points taken. I have to explain a little. I already own a 2010 Prius with 160k miles, 17" after market wheels(big hit on mpg but cannot stand 15"), spring/sway bars and get about 44 mpg(actually less when calculated). I had head gasket issue on the Prius and soon will be needing another car for my kid. So I've looked at some cars and Prius is out of the question. Bolt is a bit limiting and I don't want to worry about charging even with 2xx miles per charge. I can't stand ICE car anymore without any regen energy recovery.

I like the Volt concept and bought it. The final price after Fed tax credit and CA($1500 rebate if it comes) basically put Volt in Prius price range or maybe cheaper but I don't know current Prius prices. I'm getting about 43-49mpg with Volt and it's much quieter and drives better(with the weight) than my Prius. I try to charge about once a week and use hold mode most of the time. I have no regret on my purchase. I can use electric if and when I can wire up an outlet closer to car parked on driveway. If I use home charging then I'll save some money. Charging at public charger paying about $0.30+ per kWh is like paying $4+ for gas so I just drive with gas below $3 for now.

I need to study more on how Volt drivetrain is setup. Hopefully, Volt is more reliable than my 2010 Prius. :)

·
Registered
874 Posts
You will be disapointed driving an EREV on engine only. The Volt is great because of it's battery, not it's engine. The engine does weird things that only make sense if you are driving on EV most of the time. If you are always on engine, you'll just have a funny acting car.
Save your money and buy a good ICE car with good gas mileage. For near 40K, you will get a much better engine, and likely a more luxurious interior.
The engine behaves very similar to both non-Volt hybrids I've driven (Toyota SUV, Lincoln sedan). The only difference in behavior is that when in any mode but Mountain Mode, the engine will not work its hardest, and instead will stay revved up even when coasting for a few seconds. In MM, it revs more to keep the battery at its setpoint just like how a hybrid with a tiny HV battery works. This essentially lets the engine last longer and slightly reduces fuel consumption.

Also in terms of wear, the hardest work any ICE has to do accelerate from a stop to about 20mph. This is where fuel economy is poorest and the most engine wear can happen. In the Volt, I believe the battery buffer is used (even if depleted) to get the car going from a stop so there would be less wear on the motor over time due to this.
This is true; the battery is used first while accelerating, and the engine picks up the slack, even with 0 EV miles. There's no torque converter to wear out either. Even on non-plugin hybrids, the engine works very little until about 20-30 MPH where the electric motors start losing torque.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts