GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Has anyone successfully connected the personal wi-fi hotspot on their iphone to the Volt? I don't want to pay for a separate data plan from GM and want to use my phone and have it connect automatically. It's a pain to have to keep going to the wi-fi menu to try to connect.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hi,

Has anyone successfully connected the personal wi-fi hotspot on their iphone to the Volt? I don't want to pay for a separate data plan from GM and want to use my phone and have it connect automatically. It's a pain to have to keep going to the wi-fi menu to try to connect.

Thanks!
Your thinking of this backwards. The car can't connect to your phone and use it as a hot-spot. If you want to use your phone to connect other devices to the internet, then just configure the phone as a hot-spot and let other devices in the car connect to your phone.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 2018 can connect to wifi hotspots. I have however had difficulty getting it to connect to my iphone but I think that is an apple issue. It connects fine to my house and my office.

Wish there were more apps or way to side load some.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
390 Posts
Not trying to be snarky, but what would be the benefit of the Volt using your phone's internet connection?

I have my Volt on the family AT&T plan for data so that we can take advantage of the better antenna on the car, but other than passing the data connection to devices via usb or wifi, I don't think the car uses it.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
My 2018 can connect to wifi hotspots. I have however had difficulty getting it to connect to my iphone but I think that is an apple issue. It connects fine to my house and my office.

Wish there were more apps or way to side load some.
Connecting the car to your home wifi is not difficult. There is just nothing to do with it since the car can't do much on it's own. It already has a 4G cell connection that it uses for internal purposes (e.g. weather info). Maybe on the 2018 there are other apps, but I would think they can also use the embedded 4G. The only reason to pay for the GM cell plan is so you can connect external devices (your phone) through the car's embedded 4G connection.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Not trying to be snarky, but what would be the benefit of the Volt using your phone's internet connection?

I have my Volt on the family AT&T plan for data so that we can take advantage of the better antenna on the car, but other than passing the data connection to devices via usb or wifi, I don't think the car uses it.

Am I missing something?
Is there a place that you are able to put a chip in the car from your ATT plan that effectively transfers all cell data to your plan?

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
390 Posts
Is there a place that you are able to put a chip in the car from your ATT plan that effectively transfers all cell data to your plan?
The Volt comes with an AT&T chip standard. I'm lucky that we already use AT&T (never thought I'd type that sentence). We have a family plan for phones and iPads, and we added the Volt as an additional device. AT&T charges us $10 per month for that privilege, but we get a fair amount of use out of it (the Volt's cell number is our highest user of data on the plan).

·
Registered
294 Posts

Am I missing something?
Say we don't want to pay for the ATT data plan that comes with GM, but some of the functionalities in the car, such as the weather app, need data. I want to provide that data through my phone. So I want the car to connect to my phone hotspot. Hence the OP asks the question, I guess.

To OP, I don't think the volt can connect to your phone hotspot, at least I couldn't in my 2018.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The Volt comes with an AT&T chip standard. I'm lucky that we already use AT&T (never thought I'd type that sentence). We have a family plan for phones and iPads, and we added the Volt as an additional device. AT&T charges us $10 per month for that privilege, but we get a fair amount of use out of it (the Volt's cell number is our highest user of data on the plan).
Where is the EIN listed to give to ATT?

This could some in handy, too bad I got rid of my unlimited ATT data plan. Now I have a Verizon mifi that I just put in the car.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Say we don't want to pay for the ATT data plan that comes with GM, but some of the functionalities in the car, such as the weather app, need data. I want to provide that data through my phone. So I want the car to connect to my phone hotspot. Hence the OP asks the question, I guess.

To OP, I don't think the volt can connect to your phone hotspot, at least I couldn't in my 2018.
The whole concept is bass ackwards. The weather app will work without paying for the car's data plan. The car talks to the internet whether you like it or not. You have to pay if you want to connect devices to it. The car does not need any other connection.

And actually, the $20/month for unlimited data is actually a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premiere
390 Posts
Where is the EIN listed to give to ATT?

This could some in handy, too bad I got rid of my unlimited ATT data plan. Now I have a Verizon mifi that I just put in the car.
I think I got the info through the OnStar website. It's been a couple of years now, but I'm pretty sure that was where I got the info.

Honestly, it was an easy procedure. (1) Get the info from the OnStar website (2) plug that info in at the AT&T website (3) everything just worked.

For me it's worth it because I drive through some deadish zones where the car's antenna can maintain a signal, but the phones and iPads struggle.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Am I missing something?
The benefit would be that I wouldn't have to pay for a data plan for the dedicated to the car when I already have a data plan for my phone.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The benefit would be that I wouldn't have to pay for a data plan for the dedicated to the car when I already have a data plan for my phone.
The car doesn't need your phone to do anything it's already capable of. If you have other things that you'd otherwise connect to the car, just set your phone up as a hot spot and connect the other things to your phone.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your thinking of this backwards. The car can't connect to your phone and use it as a hot-spot. If you want to use your phone to connect other devices to the internet, then just configure the phone as a hot-spot and let other devices in the car connect to your phone.
Thanks. I will try to describe a use case: One of the MyLink apps is Pandora, for example. Let's say I'm sitting in my garage with the car on. It picks up my home router wifi connection and allows the Pandora app to play music.

Now, let's take that same Pandora app in the car. Instead of the app using my home wifi internet connection, I'd like the app to use the internet connection from the personal hotspot on my phone. Another way of thinking about it is that the personal hotspot is essentially just another network wifi router just like the one in my house.

The car itself will actually "see" the hotspot as an available wifi network to connect to, but for some reason it will not authenticate when I enter the password on the car's screen.

Thanks again and hope this all makes sense!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The car doesn't need your phone to do anything it's already capable of. If you have other things that you'd otherwise connect to the car, just set your phone up as a hot spot and connect the other things to your phone.
Yes, the car is capable of being a hotspot for a monthly fee of $20 payable to Onstar. I am trying to avoid paying that fee when I have another device that does the same thing.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Thanks. I will try to describe a use case: One of the MyLink apps is Pandora, for example. Let's say I'm sitting in my garage with the car on. It picks up my home router wifi connection and allows the Pandora app to play music.

Now, let's take that same Pandora app in the car. Instead of the app using my home wifi internet connection, I'd like the app to use the internet connection from the personal hotspot on my phone. Another way of thinking about it is that the personal hotspot is essentially just another network wifi router just like the one in my house.

The car itself will actually "see" the hotspot as an available wifi network to connect to, but for some reason it will not authenticate when I enter the password on the car's screen.

Thanks again and hope this all makes sense!
Yes, the car is capable of being a hotspot for a monthly fee of $20 payable to Onstar. I am trying to avoid paying that fee when I have another device that does the same thing.
I'm almost certain you are not going to be able to do what you are looking for.

If you want to use your phone for Pandora you have a couple of options. Use Carplay or AA to put your phone screen on the dash and operate everything there. Or just play Pandora on your phone and use Bluetooth (or a cable) to feed the audio through the head unit.

The car is not a "device", it's just a hot-spot with some internal apps. I have a mi-fi that works just like the car. I can connect devices to the mi-fi, but I can't route the mi-fi through another hot-spot -- the chipset isn't there. Technically anything is possible, and they could have configured the car to do what you want, but they didn't.

One more thought for you. You probably have a router at home that provides wi-fi for your phone. And let's assume that your PC is plugged into the router. Ask yourself if you could have the router connect your PC to the internet back through your phone's cell connection. Neither the hardware nor software is there to do so.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm almost certain you are not going to be able to do what you are looking for.

If you want to use your phone for Pandora you have a couple of options. Use Carplay or AA to put your phone screen on the dash and operate everything there. Or just play Pandora on your phone and use Bluetooth (or a cable) to feed the audio through the head unit.

The car is not a "device", it's just a hot-spot with some internal apps. I have a mi-fi that works just like the car. I can connect devices to the mi-fi, but I can't route the mi-fi through another hot-spot -- the chipset isn't there. Technically anything is possible, and they could have configured the car to do what you want, but they didn't.

One more thought for you. You probably have a router at home that provides wi-fi for your phone. And let's assume that your PC is plugged into the router. Ask yourself if you could have the router connect your PC to the internet back through your phone's cell connection. Neither the hardware nor software is there to do so.
Thanks, JRRF. Yeah it's looking like I'll probably have go the Carplay route ultimately but to me it's a pain to have to take the phone out of my pocket and plug it in everytime I get in the car. I could play Pandora on the phone and send it to the car via bluetooth but again it's a pain to have to pull out the phone and fire up Pandora on it.

I'm sure you're right about them making it difficult/impossible to do and designing it so that it's a revenue stream for them. The frustrating thing about it is that the car can see the phone's hotspot as a wifi network it can connect to, actually tries to connect when selected but won't get past the password authentication.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
May not help but others have tried a bluetooth router

having said that just using bluetooth paring to Volt from iPhone does ok for me but my 2012 lack any car play you have.

As to unlimited data plans - at least Sprint offers a 10$ plan for my Apple watch.

Glad you are trying this .

·
Registered
294 Posts
The whole concept is bass ackwards. The weather app will work without paying for the car's data plan.
Wrong. I already tested it. It will say "No internet connection." if you don't have the ATT data plan.

And it is not backward. It's a feature missing for some of us. $20 a month for a car wifi while you have a smart phone that can be a hotspot is an extra money to be spent. What is being requested here is to enable the car ability to connect to any available wifi nearby instead of relying on the built-in ATT data plan. Just like your smart phone is able to connect to a wifi if needed and you don't want to burn through your data plan.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wrong. I already tested it. It will say "No internet connection." if you don't have the ATT data plan.

And it is not backward. It's a feature missing for some of us. $20 a month for a car wifi while you have a smart phone that can be a hotspot is an extra money to be spent. What is being requested here is to enable the car ability to connect to any available wifi nearby instead of relying on the built-in ATT data plan. Just like your smart phone is able to connect to a wifi if needed and you don't want to burn through your data plan.

Yes, exactly!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts