GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
I like tax breaks for people who use their money in a way that does the government's work for them. Instead of the government taking your money to promote alternative energy solutions, it is better that they let you keep your money to buy those alternative energy solutions that work best for the consumer.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
It would be more efficiant to just send the checks to GM instead of us. If GM knows before they set pricing on the Volt that we'll get a $7,000 tax break, then GM will just raise the price $7,000. Even sadder still will be that the bulk of your tax rebate will most likely go towards dealer mark up. I think it's bad policy set a tax incentive on a product until it has been shown A) it does what it's supposed to do and B)that it can't sell on it's own first.

In the unlikely event that the Volt gets released, does what it is advertised to do and people aren't buying them because they cost too much, then I might support a tax credit because the technology is important to support. However there is no need for the government to dig itself deeper in debt when I believe this car will sell just fine.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Considering that GM may never recoup all the money they put into this vehicle, allowing consumers to use THEIR money as THEY see fit to buy this vehicle is OK. If the government is short on money, then they need to cut spending.

Market forces like competition will keep the prices down, and the Prius, being a hybrid competitor is already selling for $25K, so the Volt can't go too much higher than that.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The government just had a $120+B brain fart in the form of tax rebates. We've spent more than $500B in Iraq and $430B/yr on regular military expenditures. We've given early hybrid producers rebates. We pay billions of dollars/year for national transportation projects. The list goes on and on. Sure seems like a much better use of $1.5-$2B than many other government expenditures.

The bill passed last week by the house would create a $5200 credit for a plug-in with the Volt's battery capacity. It caps the credit at 60,000/manufacturer, which I think is a mistake. The innovators should not be penalized by the followers getting the same exact benefits. The cap should be on the first 350,000-400,000 vehicles of all manufacturers. I think this will better incentivize the manufacturers to move quickly reletive to their competition. It also rewards all early adopters by allowing them to choose their vendor.

·
3,689 Posts
I support this credit. Firstly, it does allow GM to raise the price to cover the expensive, new and most importantly extremely useful technology. This is not a research grant that may or not pay off. It's directly covering the costs of technology that can help reduce our foreign oil imports by a significant amount. Every Volt on the road uses about 1/10 the gas of a normal car (assuming flex fuels are used). Seems like we are getting a lot of bang for the buck.

I just read that dealers and individuals are jacking up the price of hybrids because the demand is so high. They are also getting a piece of the action. It's the start of the new green economy. We may not need the credits but I think we should still do it to get more of these cars out there. Reward the car companies and help pay for the expensive research and development. Make sure these cars are getting out in huge volumes. The faster the better. To me this should be the top priority of the governments of the world. Why? Even the people with all the power and control of the world are worried about the current supply and real demand for oil. It's too hot to handle and even they don't want to deal with the consequences. The powers that be want to make a lot of money in a nice stable environment and will soon be unable to do so if they cannot keep close to real demand. The demand for energy is unlike most other demands. People cannot survive without it and people will get violent (civil unrest) if it's reduced beyond a given point.

I am quite confident you will begin to see massive projects announced and massive amounts of money being invested in renewable energy research. Hey, a stable and happy populous is good for everyone. Sliding back to the dark ages is good for nobody. The left, right, and just plain evil people of the world can all agree to that.

From a geopolitical standpoint. The US would like to keep things as they were. Everyone trading in US dollars and addicted to plentiful oil. If our suppliers talk back we beat them down. Unfortunately (fortunately for others), that era is over. It must be brought back into control. The only way to do that is keep supply close to real demand. Alternative are a must to fill that gap.

·
Banned
597 Posts
GM Would Raise Prices $7000? No way!

I support this credit. Firstly, it does allow GM to raise the price to cover the expensive, new and most importantly extremely useful technology. This is not a research grant that may or not pay off. It's directly covering the costs of technology that can help reduce our foreign oil imports by a significant amount. Every Volt on the road uses about 1/10 the gas of a normal car (assuming flex fuels are used). Seems like we are getting a lot of bang for the buck.
I agree with you Texas. If GM jacks the price by $7000, they will lose market share to Toyota. Toyota has the financial strength to run GM out of business. If tax credits change American piggish behavior and accelerates the adoption of PHEVs, it will be great for America and our blue gem, planet Earth.

Why should we let Europe take the lead with alternative energy?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts