GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me preface by saying that I really like my Gen1, but I recognize it had some limitations for the average consumer but it meets my bare minimums nicely.

So I had the chance to finally get to see and test drive one of the first Gen 2 volts that I've found in Nebraska. I was excited to see the new body style which I do personally like, maybe a little more than my gen 1, except for the headlights. To me the headlights could have been better styled. One of the first things I did was setup the drivers seat which was a letdown that there was still no power seat for at least the driver. Once set I popped right into the backseat, which to me felt a little tighter than my Gen1 (not by much, but the headroom felt even shorter).

I then hopped back into the drivers seat a took off for the test drive. That thing squealed tires from a low roll...WOW! Thats just awesome, the bottom end feels like a nice bump in the torque response. The top end to me felt the same, but I don't doubt a better 0-60 at this point. I had to relearn some of the common buttons I've been used to, but I like the more traditional control styles. One nitpick I have however is with the chrome trim around the shifter bezel. Was the goal to make it perfectly concave so that a solar laser beam hit me in the eyes? If so they succeeded, I spent my entire westbound part of the drive with my arm awkwardly positioned to block the reflection off of that trim.

Once back at the dealer I gave it another walk around and decided it needed the parents with children test. I grabbed the portable stroller from my Volts hatch (which fits, but it is tight!) and walked over to the new volt with the salesman looking on curiously. I tried sideways, front to back, diagonally and no matter what it would not fit by a good 2-3" at least. A comment by the salesman about being able to drop one of the seat backs would be reasonable if I only had one child in tow, but with two thats a no-go for me.

So to finish up, I have to say Im confused about that the intention was in building a new built for this drivetrain chassis. I'm sure the car is for a target market, but if I didnt already own a Gen1 I would not be a Volt owner. I regularly have 2 adults and 2 little kiddos in mine alone with all of the needed accessories. Add to that the lunch runs from work with 4 adults and it seems to me that the new chassis misses the mark for the things that really needed improvement in the Gen 1. Seating is important, storage is important and when those aren't improved to a point that the average buyer can see both the drivetrain benefits with the capacity they are accustomed to having for day to day activities then the car will remain a niche product developed for people who want EV's without range anxiety and In my opinion that does not really further the actual opportunity Chevy has to put out a car that solve all of the problems the general public perceives about EV's without footing the bill for a Model S or having to wait 1-2-3 years for the models 3.

So I'm curious to those who either own a Gen2 or have also given it a test drive, what are your thoughts/feelings on the new model?

-Dan

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I think it is a perfect commuter and Eco car. For our family of 4 it is a very tight fit in the back. I would've traded 5 miles of range for a little bit more backseat room. That and the rear visibility issue are the only negatives that I can come up with. With all that said it is far and away the best car I've ever had and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
743 Posts
It is a compact sedan and is designed to meet the needs of compact sedan buyers. The 2016 is definitely roomier in the back than 2011- 2015 but it is still a compact, with all the limitations that entails.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
I'm not sure where your confusion comes from. It's a refresh of the Gen 1. Expecting the updated version to now be a mini-van, mid- or full-sized car is what I would call a stretch :) You may be more interested in the Bolt's seating.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I saw my first Gen 2 Volt driving today, very sharp looking car.

To me, the Volt would be perfect if it were a Malibu instead. Even if it were only 4 seater, it would mean a comfortable rear seat.

In its current form the Volt will never sell in large numbers, even back in 2012 I don't see how they hoped to sell more than 20k a year. Make it a Rav 4 sized SUV and it will do great, heck, make most GM cars with plug in and Volt drive train and I would be happy.

That being said, Steverino is right, the Gen 2 Volt is a natural replacement for Gen 1, better in most ways, but still the same class of car.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Because you asked, this is what I said about it a few days ago:

----------

The dead pedal is too high.

The other thing I noticed even before getting in the car is that the dash and the higher console make it look and feel crowded in the cockpit. Everything but the dead pedal fit me well in the '17 so there's that, but I went back to my '14 and it felt very different. As I told the sales manager (I seem to attract managers - not sure why) my '14 is a compact that doesn't feel like one. In the '17 it does feel like one in every way but forward/back seat travel (which also was good).

Part of it IMO is the angling in and down toward the center of the dash.

-----

As for what I think about the exterior design, that's something I've said quite enough about for one design generation. If you missed it that's okay.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Of the 100 complaints I have of the Gen2, I initially hated that high dead pedal but surprisingly got used to it after a week...

We can pick (and will) apart any decision that GM has made with the Volt but staying with the Cruze based Volt ensured its cheaper vs a Malibu or a CUV...I predict the Malibu will get a plug in the future but it won't be 50 miles...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Simply, I very much disliked the Gen 1 and I very much like Gen 2...

So I'm curious to those who either own a Gen2 or have also given it a test drive, what are your thoughts/feelings on the new model?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I didn't like it, didn't like the styling in or out, didn't like the charging, didn't like the more complex drivetrain, didn't like what GM was doing/not doing with regard to EVs. Realized that I was ready for a pure EV and could afford leasing a Model S 70D so I sold my 2012 Volt to someone who would appreciate it more. A year and 18k miles later I still love my Tesla, can't stop driving it, those extra miles will come to bite me in the end, 25 cents each.

Do I miss my gen.1 Volt? Every once in a while I do miss my experience with it, my first plugin, the exciting times of switching over, of driving as many electric miles as possible. But things change and it was time to move on.

Wait for the Bolt EV and see if it will fit the bill when it comes out, in the meantime drive the gen.1 Volt while you can, it's still a great car. And if you can comfortably afford it consider a Tesla.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Tesla is awesome, but you could buy 2 Volts new for the price of a used Tesla. I thought about waiting for a Tesla 3, until 375,000 people got ahead of me in line. Then I thought I would wait for the Bolt... until I test drove the Volt. I bought it that day.

Your standards are high and your pockets are deep. Don't blame you at all.

For me the Volt is amazing. Everyone tells me how cool it looks too. They are surprised by the new styling. And when I drive back to see the folks in upstate NY, I won't have to worry about finding a charge station. This car may be a compromise of sorts, but a pretty awesome one for me! Loving it!

But I do agree it would have been a good idea to have a little more space, as the original poster said. I think a mid size version would also be very cool.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts

-Dan
We bought a 2013 Volt for our daughter, because we wanted her to have a safe car to drive to school. We are outside bus range.

And dad wanted to play with a Volt after abusing a CODA (rip) around an AutoX course.

I loved the Gen1 Volt. So when my son was old enough to drive, we put him in a 2016 Gen2 Volt. Everything I loved about the G1 was improved even more for the G2. It is probably the best "thinking person's" urban car. Big enough and small enough. Fast enough and slow enough. Cheap enough and expensive enough.

What is wrong with the G2 Volt?

For an urban transportation device, not very much. It even cost less per mile than my motorcycles and is a helluva lot safer.

Vettes kick their asses. But you can't see out of a Vette, and the Volt has more room, especially helmet room.

Pickups haul more people and cargo. But they are a bitch to park and a bit thirsty compared to Vettes.

Gen1's are one of the best commuter cars ever sold. And Gen2's are improved Gen1's.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
My g1 volt was the best car I could buy for my commute at the time, but it really is only useful for short commutes when filled with 4 people. I can't agree more, GM needs to have more voltec and BEV options. I'll take either an impala or a Subyukonade. The CT6 is taking forever to arrive and will likely be horribly overpriced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wouldn't life be boring if we all liked the same things and had the same needs? We're fortunate that the free marketplace provides us with so many excellent choices.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I ABSOLUTELY love my gen1 to the point where I won't consider a Gen 2. It has some great upgrades but the Gen1 is amazing in its own right. I will happily wait for a voltec SUV/CUV form factor. The Bolt as wonderful as it will be, will not meet my no compromise travel needs.

But back to the main topic, the Gen 2. Increased battery range, increased fuel economy, another quoted range extender, more back seat room., Newly designed electric translator callable of being used in other platforms. GM is doing its job of using design to accomplish cost savings for the voltec system. This will be seen across GMs platforms. Think about it. GM drops the Voltec transaxle in the Malibu, Buick, heck it may fit in a sonic. Then GM figures out the RWD Voltec. I think the Gen 2 represents the beginning of an avalanche of hybrid offerings from GM. The next few years will be aexciting times.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, great discussion everyone! I really like reading everyones thoughts on this. Just to clarify my point, Im not asking the volt to be turned into a "mini-van or mid-size" although I do think that a great next sept for the evolution of the technology. I was simple pointing out that when GM developed the new chassis it would have made sense to me to take the few negatives and improve those. I use the stroller as an example since it a very real world use case for me with two kiddos and how the loss of cargo space in the rear immediately made a huge difference (Not to mention the other compacts that have the cargo space). Now once the kids are big and not stroller bound that dynamic changes, but Im also betting that there are plenty of families like mine that have no need for some SUV and the Volt would be perfect except for those little details.

·
Registered
13,560 Posts
Wow, great discussion everyone! I really like reading everyones thoughts on this. Just to clarify my point, Im not asking the volt to be turned into a "mini-van or mid-size" although I do think that a great next sept for the evolution of the technology. I was simple pointing out that when GM developed the new chassis it would have made sense to me to take the few negatives and improve those. I use the stroller as an example since it a very real world use case for me with two kiddos and how the loss of cargo space in the rear immediately made a huge difference (Not to mention the other compacts that have the cargo space). Now once the kids are big and not stroller bound that dynamic changes, but Im also betting that there are plenty of families like mine that have no need for some SUV and the Volt would be perfect except for those little details.
But as Bob Lutz has said, why are we working so hard to electrify economy cars to go from 40 MPG to say 80+ MPG when we could do much better electrifying a truck, minivan, SUV or CUV to take it from 14-20 MPG to 80+ MPG. I'm OK with one of my cars as a compact car to save on fuel costs, but the second car needs to have to space we need for all the other occasions. Right now it's a combo between a CTS (when we need to take 4 with luggage to O'hare Airport in comfort) and a Suburban (when I need to tow or haul something). I'd love to just get a PHEV Suburban to complement my Volt and eliminate the need for the mid-sized car.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
But as Bob Lutz has said, why are we working so hard to electrify economy cars to go from 40 MPG to say 80+ MPG when we could do much better electrifying a truck, minivan, SUV or CUV to take it from 14-20 MPG to 80+ MPG. I'm OK with one of my cars as a compact car to save on fuel costs, but the second car needs to have to space we need for all the other occasions. Right now it's a combo between a CTS (when we need to take 4 with luggage to O'hare Airport in comfort) and a Suburban (when I need to tow or haul something). I'd love to just get a PHEV Suburban to complement my Volt and eliminate the need for the mid-sized car.
Answer is cost...Based on MSRP, ignoring destination, Chevy base compact, MY16 Cruze, $16,620...Volt? $33,220; if you qualify for federal tax credit, $25,720 and since over half are sold in cali, will add the $1500 so $24,220...

Silverado, starts at $27,195...Via motors? Reportedly $65,000 and we add that you don't have any choice with trims or options, you are getting a fleet truck...There's additional concern that Via states "35-40 miles of range" which isn't EPA, which probably means unless you hypermile, you're real world with HVAC is closer to 30 and I'm sure if you're driving on a construction site with dirt roads, you're getting less range than that...

For 2016 the vehicle worth "Voltecing" would have been the Trax...Take the Spark ICE/Spark EV approach vs the Cruze ICE/Volt approach, change as few things as possible, no need to give them exclusive interiors...Have a stripped 2WD "LS" trim for under $40K...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I say volttec the corvette and show that weird looking nsx and the bmw I7 who the real king of the track is. Utilizing a front wheel voltec power train and a rear wheel LS engine power train, it should have two or three modes. The first would be for track, focusing 100% of the battery and engine on raw power and performance, and the second mode should have the vette operate as the volt would for economy driving; the third, a balanced combination. the volt system would need some tweaking...actually, BOLTtec up front, and mid engine LS.

On a side note, I neither like, nor do I dislike my volt, it is what it is. I understand that they had to cut corners as well as cost to drop the price down from 40-50k in 2011, to a price of 28-38 in 2016 (it's not 2017 quite yet). So the fact that the leather is cheap, the paint is soft and easily damaged, and all of its other flaws, I understand that what I paid for is a very expensive battery and engine for commuting. I also understand that if they hadn't cut costs and quality I would never have bought a 40 plus thousand dollar volt as seen in 2011.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We paid around $20K after federal, state, and dealer discounts for a car that gets us 95% of our driving on electric and is 95% of the time the only car we use (the other is our previous, and smaller, sedan). All of our various strollers fit fine, as does our carseat, and I expect should we have a second child, another seat will fit fine on the other side. Millions of families outside the US are perfectly fine with compact hatchbacks as only cars, and we are too. In fact, with just the one kid, we can go to Home Depot and fit a pretty huge amount of stuff in there with one of the seats down -- far more space than our old sedan had. Perhaps things will change if we have two kids when they're teenagers, but for the time being, the space, efficiency, finish, and drive are great, and far cheaper than I expected. I suppose plenty of folks live in a world of greater luxury and size, but for our middle-class life, it's a pretty great car. (Though the rear visibility does still suck.)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Of the 100 complaints I have of the Gen2, I initially hated that high dead pedal but surprisingly got used to it after a week...

We can pick (and will) apart any decision that GM has made with the Volt but staying with the Cruze based Volt ensured its cheaper vs a Malibu or a CUV...I predict the Malibu will get a plug in the future but it won't be 50 miles...
Just like a Honda Accord doesn't get the fuel economy of a Honda Civic (27/37 Accord, 31/42 Civic)... people will get used to the idea of cars that have the same size battery pack having different EV ranges due to weight and aerodynamics. So if the Voltec based on the Cruze gets 53 miles EPA range I think people would accept 40 miles range out of a full PHEV version of the Malibu. Oh, and 25 or 30 miles range out of an Equinox SUV.

Keith

1 - 20 of 25 Posts