GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to hear everyone's experience with condo installs. I live in LA and my configuration is as follows:
- Electric meter and pull box at the rear corner of our 16-unit building with room for additional EV meters (DWP came out to survey)
- Assigned parking spot is one level underground, about 30 feet in a direct line from the ground level electrical closet.
- Difficulty lies in drilling a hole from the electrical closet through 12" of concrete slab to the parking garage underneath.
- Have HOA approval to move forward. They encourage so that people stop using the common 110 V outlets in the garage.
- DWP will reimburse up to $2,000, and SPX is providing a free charger.

Any similar installs on this forum?

·
Registered
878 Posts
If the concrete slab is cast-in-place with conventional re-bar, probably no problem drilling for some conduit - though that's a thick slab to go through. If it is a structural deck, it may be pre-stressed or post-tensioned, which means it has some high-tension cables in it to pre-compress the concrete. If one of those are cut, BAD things happen. It's not like cutting through a single piece of re-bar. The multi-level parking garage I worked on used all post-tensioned decks. We had to have the deck magneticly scanned to confirm cable locations before coring some holes for some pipes.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I would love to hear everyone's experience with condo installs. I live in LA and my configuration is as follows:
- Electric meter and pull box at the rear corner of our 16-unit building with room for additional EV meters (DWP came out to survey)
- Assigned parking spot is one level underground, about 30 feet in a direct line from the ground level electrical closet.
- Difficulty lies in drilling a hole from the electrical closet through 12" of concrete slab to the parking garage underneath.
- Have HOA approval to move forward. They encourage so that people stop using the common 110 V outlets in the garage.
- DWP will reimburse up to $2,000, and SPX is providing a free charger.

Any similar installs on this forum?
I had a similar situation. Fortunately for me... my main power feed came through a pull box in my garage which was easy to access. Since LA code requires an extra condiut run for every unit... All we had to do was pull the new run through the empty condiut and mount the EVSE next to the pull box with a short stub between them. Between the $1200 installation credit that SPX provides and the additional $2000 that LADWP can provide... You should be able to get the work done for less than $3,100 right? If the estimate comes in any higher... I suggest asking SPX for more discount on the installation. Just politely ask if they can do better on the price. They will come down.

One important tip. Make sure your Volt is registered to the same address as your EVSE installation or LADWP will NOT reimburse you for the $2,000. Since my Volt was registered to my business address... I was NOT able to take advantage of the $2,000 reimbursement from LADWP. Fortunately SPX ended up performing the installation work without charging me anything. It was free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts