GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Volt Owners:

I am on my second Chevrolet Volt. I leased the first one and purchased a 2016 for my second one. I have a 2017 Mercedes S550, a 2016 Mercedes C300, a 2017 GM Yukon, a 2017 Jeep Compass and my 2016 Volt. I love my Volt the best out of all my cars. It is a wonderful vehicle.

I am hoping Chevrolet notes my comments and starts asking us Volt Owners why we would not want to see the Volt cancelled. I would always have range anxiety if I did not have my ICE backup gasoline engine. I very rarely drive over 30 miles per day but every once in a while I have a 300 mile round trip to go on and taking the time to charge my car at the 150 mile mark, if it didn't have an ICE, is out of the question. I could use my other vehicles but I like the idea of having the redundancy of my electric vehicle as a back up.

I have no interest in the BOLT! I do not like the shape. If they cancel the Volt I would be forced to buy a Tesla and use their Super Charge stations.

Please DO Not Cancel our wonderful car!

Big Moe

·
Registered
897 Posts
If they cancel it, likely the Volt will be replaced with something better. PHEV's are going be built for many years to come along with EV's. Ford just announced 40 EV's within 4 years or so, and they said 24 will be PHEV's. GM will probably have a similiar lineup.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I tend to think they should keep the Volt close to its current style also. At the auto show yesterday just about every manufacturer had plenty of 4 door sedans and hatchbacks on display. Pretty much every one of them out class the few similar cars from Chevy and Ford. I think the falling sales is just an excuse for not keeping up with the other manufacturers. At the show, seems to me there was the same or maybe even more crowds around the mid size sedans from Kiev, Honda, Hyundai and infinity than the trucks and suvs from Ford and Chevy. They may regret giving up on this class of vehicle. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
You might like what GM does next even better. As for Ford, they have a little trouble with telling the truth lately. I'll just wait and see what really happens. Their electric program so far has been underwhelming.

·
Registered
628 Posts
It's just a nameplate stuck on a chunk of metal. All models come to an end eventually. The key thing to keep in mind is that it's inevitable that there will be something new to replace it - if the name means so much to some, peel off the decals for whatever they name it and stick some "Volt" ones on instead. ;)

·
Registered
974 Posts
Not sure there has been an official announcement? But if the reporting is true, GM needs to be careful because the Volt was politicized by anti-EV propaganda. Look at past history where GM took some terrible press over the canceling of the EV1. Part of this is building brand loyalty in this EV market, and I think in this area GM is in a somewhat fragile position. That having been said, the numbers are in, and sedan sales for all makes are way, way off. Trucks, crossovers and SUVs are up. I think the Volt name and the logo are pretty cool. Perhaps the Volt might become a crossover? and get a flat floor pan battery pack like all the new coming EV's with more range, maybe 100 EV miles plus ?

·
Administrator
20,215 Posts
Perhaps the Volt might become a crossover? and get a flat floor pan battery pack like all the new coming EV's with more range, maybe 100 EV miles plus ?

That's what has been hinted. Also, other rumors say 2022, not 2020. And don't forget there will be variants of the Bolt platform as well.

No need to panic, wait and see what actually happens.

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
The "pre-emptive rumor" seems to be in vogue these days. Just say something negative about someone or something and you can shape the narrative. Costs little Capitol to the perpetrators but can be costly to the victim trying to defend a "vapor". It's dangerous but effective.

It's not to say the VOLT name plate could be retired, or maybe the current Volt's platform will be retired and replaced by something else but still named the Volt.

Who know's but it sure gets folks all worked up chasing these rumors.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
That's what has been hinted. Also, other rumors say 2022, not 2020. And don't forget there will be variants of the Bolt platform as well.

No need to panic, wait and see what actually happens.
^^^This. 2022 makes sense as that is the product life cycle of the current generation Volt platform. The 2020 rumor makes no sense. The Volt is supposed to receive a mid-cycle refresh for the 2019MY.

I agree the Volt will only go away if it's replaced with something better. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
The name will be gone, the concept will still be here.;)

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I'm skeptical that the Voltec drive system is going to go away that soon while other manufacturers are still trying to match it.

·
Registered
897 Posts
"I'm skeptical that the Voltec drive system is going to go away that soon while other manufacturers are still trying to match it."

That's a good point. The Clarity PHEV just coming out now is the first one to approach the Volt's range. It still has to rely on the ICE to help out at full throttle though. The Volt delivers excellent full throttle acceleration in 100% EV mode.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Boggles my mind why GM does not promote this car in the main stream media. Virtually invisible. Which is crazy because the Volt is such an incredible car. Fun to drive, ultra low operating cost, low maintenance cost, very safe(as we have seen from the reports of people involved in impact crashes) and environmentally friendly to boot. It's only drawback is it may not be suitable to be the primary vehicle of a large family. All in all it's one of the best cars I've owned. Ready for a 2018 as a second addition to the family this spring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I suppose they could call it the ReVolt , um maybe not. Or if they're doing a CUV, the High Volt. Or they could change to the Wolt and sell it in Germany haha

·
Registered
19 Posts
Our family's purchases has been parallel to the market evolution:
1. Gas guzzlers (minivan)
2. Prius & other hybrids(no charger needed, but big carbon saver)
3. Volt (still no charging network needed, but my oh my what a revolutionary idea: all electric, but EXTENDED RANGE "ER"!)
4. Smart Electric (dumped the guzzler, but still love the prius & Volt)

Hybrids have become available in sedans, huge SUV's & pickups. Too bad they haven't adopted the Volt model. Some countries have set goals for electric-only vehicles, but I really believe the Volt has proven a model for all cars & trucks. There no longer a need for hybrids. They cost just as much as ER electrics, without the benefit of all-electric miles.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Hybrids have become available in sedans, huge SUV's & pickups. Too bad they haven't adopted the Volt model. Some countries have set goals for electric-only vehicles, but I really believe the Volt has proven a model for all cars & trucks. There no longer a need for hybrids. They cost just as much as ER electrics, without the benefit of all-electric miles.
The real kicker for Voltec style designs, there's literally no barrier except cost to adoption, and they can work on pretty much any scale from "subcompact" to "light rail" and make improvements. The most hidebound provincial in the world can see the bonus to "Well, what if you didn't HAVE to start up a cold diesel just to move some equipment from one place to another, and could save that half-quart of fuel for when you actually need to do a whole field?"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Am I the only one that would NOT want an SUV or compact SUV as a replacement to the Volt? I really like cars as daily drivers and we don't need an SUV everywhere we go. Although I understand it may sell better.

Love the current Volt as a car and I really hope GM doesn't get rid of it. Toyota and Honda are getting into the plug-in hybrid market but I would rather not buy the Prius Prime or Clarity.

·
Administrator
20,215 Posts
Am I the only one that would NOT want an SUV or compact SUV as a replacement to the Volt? I really like cars as daily drivers and we don't need an SUV everywhere we go. Although I understand it may sell better.

Love the current Volt as a car and I really hope GM doesn't get rid of it. Toyota and Honda are getting into the plug-in hybrid market but I would rather not buy the Prius Prime or Clarity.
My Volt is at 7 years, 96k miles and it's still a "new" car for me. But our Bolt is a blast to drive. More of a CUV Than a sedan, but it's not an SUV. I replaced our Cadillac SUV (a bridge car until we could get the Bolt) with the Bolt and much prefer the Bolt. Drives more like a sedan, except it's way quicker than our Volt.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts