GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like the TYPE OF FUEL that the Volt's electric generator uses to be an option for selection when ordering your Volt. Different areas of the US have different fuels that are cheaper. I believe technology exists today for the selections to be gasoline, diesel, E85, CNG, and LNG. Any others? I'd like mine to be Natural Gas, as I have Natural Gas in my home. Honda sells a "Phill" pump for their Civic GX that installs into your existing home's natural gas line. Chevy should offer something similar on the Volt or future E-Flex Vehicles.

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-gx/

While Natural Gas has gone up recently, if natural gas electric power generation is reduced and replaced by renewable wind and solar electric generation, Natural Gas can be used to fuel vehicles, theoretically without raising demand and thus prices. Natural Gas is the 2nd most abundant DOMESTIC source of energy, behind coal and prices are not volatile because it's a regulated utility (state governments have to approve price increases). Go to billionaire oil man T Boone Pickens website and click on the video. It's very eye opening!

http://www.pickensplan.com/

·
Registered
125 Posts
Icd

I for see a great aftermarket business for Volt mods. Technically most generators should work.
I hope that GM creates a well defined interface control document that establishes all of the requirements to produce an electric generator such that it does not invalidate the warranty. That way I can swap out the generator when appropriate. I am a big fan of modularity, choice and customization.

...maybe they'll make the battery modular too.

As for the original poster's comment with regard to natural gas, I would also like that. First of all, It would be nice if there was some diversification in the available energy sources used to generate power for cars (yes, I know, this applies to the EV portion too). Second of all there is great value to being able fill your car up at home at a likely lower price. Sadly, the cost of natural gas is going up significantly.

Now, if we could only power our cars off of gasified waste.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Nice idea, but. . .

. . . changing the generator would also require changing the fuel storage and delivery system, including the fuel status monitoring sensor. This doesn't sound practical to me. Even if the technical issues are addressed, the cost-effectiveness would be in doubt.

·
Registered
125 Posts
perhaps

. . . changing the generator would also require changing the fuel storage and delivery system, including the fuel status monitoring sensor. This doesn't sound practical to me. Even if the technical issues are addressed, the cost-effectiveness would be in doubt.
Good points, however I imagine these could be standardized without without much cost increase. In fact standardizing now could make for decreased production cost later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts