GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm new here and very very interested in the volt. I was just thinking could a compressed air generator be used in addition to the gas generator?

I mean thing about it, I could have a PV panel at my house running a small compressor all day while at work, this would store the energy and could be used to generate electricity for the batteries. Maybe give you a few extra miles before the gas generator kicks in.

I know there would be a huge efficiency loss, to tired to run some calcs now, but for the small weight a carbon tank/generator would add I could see this helping.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Well, Tata motors claims their compressed air car can go ~300-400 miles on one tank of air. They're supposed to have thousands of cars on the road in 2009 in India. I'm pretty skeptical on their numbers but hey, we'll see what happens.

·
3,689 Posts
Hey all,
I'm new here and very very interested in the volt. I was just thinking could a compressed air generator be used in addition to the gas generator?

I mean thing about it, I could have a PV panel at my house running a small compressor all day while at work, this would store the energy and could be used to generate electricity for the batteries. Maybe give you a few extra miles before the gas generator kicks in.

I know there would be a huge efficiency loss, to tired to run some calcs now, but for the small weight a carbon tank/generator would add I could see this helping.

Thoughts?

Just hit the search button and type in "aircar" or "compressed air" You can then enjoy the lively discussions that went on. Short answer is that compressed air requires a tremendous amount of volume to go even a short distance, especially for a car as big and heavy as the Volt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just hit the search button and type in "aircar" or "compressed air" You can then enjoy the lively discussions that went on. Short answer is that compressed air requires a tremendous amount of volume to go even a short distance, especially for a car as big and heavy as the Volt.
The original poster is not saying that an air tank should be in the car ... but rather if he had a solar panel slowly running a compressor/tank at home , eventually the tank could release it's pressure thru a generator that adds / charges the volt when he gets home ..., for a "grid free" charge ....

·
3,689 Posts
The original poster is not saying that an air tank should be in the car ... but rather if he had a solar panel slowly running a compressor/tank at home , eventually the tank could release it's pressure thru a generator that adds / charges the volt when he gets home ..., for a "grid free" charge ....

Read his post again. He wrote:

"but for the small weight a carbon tank/generator would add I could see this helping"

This clearly shows he means to have the tank and generator on-board. Otherwise the weight would not matter. No? Anyway, your idea is even worse! I hope you are just kidding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, I tried to search for compressed air before I made the post and didnt see anything... I guess it would be limited and a waste to have in addition to the gas generator...

I just was thinking it would be a lighter way to store some energy than adding a bigger battery.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Read his post again. He wrote:

"but for the small weight a carbon tank/generator would add I could see this helping"

This clearly shows he means to have the tank and generator on-board. Otherwise the weight would not matter. No? Anyway, your idea is even worse! I hope you are just kidding.
I guess his post is confusing, since the sentence above the one you qoute says ...
"I could have a PV panel at my house running a small compressor all day while at work, this would store the energy and could be used to generate electricity for the batteries. Maybe give you a few extra miles before the gas generator kicks in."
It's unclear (to me :) ) why a compressor running all day at home while he's at work would also need a tank in the car as well ....
But, as you point out, he does mention an in-car tank ....
I agree the whole idea seems like a waste of time, & none of it is "my idea"... BTW ..... :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts