GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I joined this forum specifically to share an event that happened to my wife when she was driving our 2014 Chevy volt on a bridge.

Multiple system warning lights on the dashboard started to flash and it showed a message about High voltage and then the electrical system shutdown completely.No power to the car at this point .Luckily she was on the downward slope on the bridge and was able to pull aside due to the momentum.
I read on the manual later that there is a fuse that shuts down the electrical system if there is a high voltage situation.

The worst thing in the situation was that the Hazard lights would not come on.
Also once she put the gear on parking it would not change to Neutral and they have problem towing the car.
The chevy roadside assistance was great but the fact that the electrical system shutdown completely on the highway bridge with the Hazard lights not functioning is extremely upsetting.

I have leased this 2014 Volt in February and it has less than 7000 miles on it. The charge was at 10 miles remaining and gas level was more than 200 miles when this happened.This happened a good 25-30 miles into the drive.
I have a good mind to sue Chevy for this gross negligence for safety and extremely dangerous situation that my wife would have been in due to this.

The car is currently with Chevy maintenance and I am waiting for them to explain what went wrong and see how they assure me that it will not happen again.
Has someone experienced this type of electrical shutdown while driving? Can someone please advise me what you would do in this situation? Any suggestions are welcome as currently I don't have any confidence in driving this car.

I will provide an update after I hear back from Chevy regarding this.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I have a good mind to sue Chevy for this gross negligence for safety and extremely dangerous situation
You lost me there.

Sue...... (rolls eyes, shaking head)

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
An update would be great. AFAIK this would be a first. I doubt the bridge would have anything to do with the issue(s).

When something like this happens you can call OnStar and get the codes. That helps identify the source of the problem. Unfortunately, without these it's just shots in the dark. FWIW if this was really high voltage then the lack of a hazard warning light would be the least of the problems. However, absent unusual circumstances, given the history of the Volt it's hard to believe this happened in the manner you described.

As a first time poster, your suggestion that you're going to sue before you even know what happened will not earn you many friends. First impressions and all that. We've had a fair number of complaints about the Volt that turned out to be more user error than anything. Not saying this is the case but it would be prudent to learn before reaching any conclusions about poor design and so forth.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Look at the choice of words. This post was made to be found by a google search.

I'm not buying it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The hazard lights were not working and yes of course the Onstar was not working as well as that was the option I have my wife to call road side assistance.We are talking about a complete electrical shutdown here. I know that all of you in the forum are Chevy loyalists .I was one too.I have recommended the Volt to many of my friends and some have bought it too.I have also given the volt a 10/10 rating on the satisfaction survey.

Don't assume because I am a first time poster that I would not know about the basic troubleshooting this car.
My language would sound harsh because I am mad that this happened and I want to hear constructive comments on this very real situation that happened. The service center also said that they have not heard about this situation .
I am not here to make friends .I am here to find if this happened to anyone and address the issue. Suing is not a priority for me Safety most definitely is !

Imagine yourself stuck on a highway with no hazard lights.This is not a joke.

An update would be great. AFAIK this would be a first. I doubt the bridge would have anything to do with the issue(s).

When something like this happens you can call OnStar and get the codes. That helps identify the source of the problem. Unfortunately, without these it's just shots in the dark. FWIW if this was really high voltage then the lack of a hazard warning light would be the least of the problems. However, absent unusual circumstances, given the history of the Volt it's hard to believe this happened in the manner you described.

As a first time poster, your suggestion that you're going to sue before you even know what happened will not earn you many friends. First impressions and all that. We've had a fair number of complaints about the Volt that turned out to be more user error than anything. Not saying this is the case but it would be prudent to learn before reaching any conclusions about poor design and so forth.

·
8,680 Posts
My guess is the APM wasn't working correctly and the 12V battery died. That'll stop any car, and is the only scenario I can concoct which would prevent the hazard lights, outside of a short in one of the cells of the twelve volt battery, which seems pretty unlikely.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To prove that this is real I would furnish all information required by you folks. Just ask me and I shall provide. I will update the maintenance work sheet when I get it.
The car was at the San Mateo bridge where the incident happened on Friday morning and was towed to the Burlingame service center where it is sitting now.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I don't think anyone is asking you to prove this happened. I think we're asking you to better understand what happened before deciding it was a faulty design. I'm not sold on Walter's idea that it was the APM not charging the 12v because I'd think you would have gotten some indications of something being wrong as the 12v died and I don't see why you'd get a "high voltage" warning, though if the 12v dies anything is possible.

Seems almost as if a connection was severed. Even if you turn the Volt "Off" the power steering and hazard lights work. You just lose propulsion.

·
4,852 Posts
My guess is the APM wasn't working correctly and the 12V battery died. That'll stop any car, and is the only scenario I can concoct which would prevent the hazard lights, outside of a short in one of the cells of the twelve volt battery, which seems pretty unlikely.
Yes, sounds like the 12V battery died somehow. It turns out this happens in traditional combustion vehicles too, and somewhat unsurprisingly, their hazard lights won't work in that scenario either.

Not sure why the 12V battery died, but that is the likely culprit here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't mentioned anything on faulty design in my posts. It is a fact that the hazard lights did not turn on.
What other user error can happen when you are driving other than turning the power button off?
I also don't want to blame Chevy for anything right away till I get the report.
As I mentioned earlier that I was not in the car , my wife was driving the car when this happened. With what she said she saw many of the warning lights on the dashboard light up and then the navigation screen went blank and the message regarding the high voltage came up there. After this happened the complete system shutdown. This is all the information I have .

The onstar and hazard lights would not work and once she shifted the gear to parking it would not change back.
One thing that I didn't ask her to do and it skipped my mind at that time is to try and start the manual ignition on the top of the dashboard . I am not sure if that would have helped.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more thing. My wife was charging her Iphone in the car when this happened. This may or may not be relevant.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Just like to point out that the exact same thing would happen in an ICE car if the alternator died. I've seen it happen before.
ICE cars stall or die on the road all the time, just because it's electric, doesn't mean it's immune to the occasional failure.
There is no gross negligence, just a random failure.

As far as a problem towing due to being in park, I've seen flat bed operators pull cars onto the truck in Park and with the parking break on. It makes it a little tricky, but nothing they can't handle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is easy to say it was just a random failure when you are not in the car on the highway with no hazard lights.This is a 6 month old car not a 100000 +mile driven car with bad alternator. I agree that it could be a random failure but it is upsetting to me.

I also agree with the towing comment but the caltrans guy who got their first did not have a flat bed and tried to move the car which would have most certainly damaged the car. He was not going to allow private towing as the car was on the bridge as per their rules but my wife convinced him somehow.
The roadside maintenance guy was almost on the way and he had a flatbed which was required in this situation and I have given them their due appreciation in my first post.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
If the 12v battery was dying then charging the iPhone could accelerate the process but unless it shorted the system it wouldn't cause the 12v to die. If the dealer can't find anything after clearing the codes then it would be worthwhile to try the charger, but my guess is they'll find something. One of the ironies of electric vehicles is that while they have relatively giant batteries, the death of the small 12v, which runs all the electrical systems, will stop them in their tracks, just as in the case of an ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I joined this forum specifically to share an event that happened to my wife when she was driving our 2014 Chevy volt on a bridge.

Multiple system warning lights on the dashboard started to flash and it showed a message about High voltage and then the electrical system shutdown completely.No power to the car at this point .Luckily she was on the downward slope on the bridge and was able to pull aside due to the momentum.
I read on the manual later that there is a fuse that shuts down the electrical system if there is a high voltage situation.

Also once she put the gear on parking it would not change to Neutral and they have problem towing the car.
The chevy roadside assistance was great but the fact that the electrical system shutdown completely on the highway bridge with the Hazard lights not functioning is extremely upsetting.

I have leased this 2014 Volt in February and it has less than 7000 miles on it. The charge was at 10 miles remaining and gas level was more than 20 miles when this happened.This happened a good 25-30 miles into the drive.
I have a good mind to sue Chevy for this gross negligence for safety and extremely dangerous situation that my wife would have been in due to this.

The car is currently with Chevy maintenance and I am waiting for them to explain what went wrong and see how they assure me that it will not happen again.
Has someone experienced this type of electrical shutdown while driving? Can someone please advise me what you would do in this situation? Any suggestions are welcome as currently I don't have any confidence in driving this car.

I have read through this thread. Very sorry to hear this happen to you. I know anytime a car dies, under any circumstances, it is always scary. Hopefully, you will hear from your dealership soon with good news, and you can be back in your car. Keep us posted on the details of what the service department says and be as specific as you can when they report back to you. You will find most on this forum very friendly and helpful. Of course, you are frustrated a little emotional. It happens. Just be thankful all is well as in "human life". My car got pummeled by hail just the other day, so I am driving a Chevy Malibu Rental. Life happens. As Dave Ramsey always says, "It will rain." I have now added, "And sometimes that rain will be hail." :)

3,600 Posts

I have leased this 2014 Volt in February and it has less than 7000 miles on it. The charge was at 10 miles remaining and gas level was more than 20 miles when this happened.This happened a good 25-30 miles into the drive.

Hello prafk,

I’m terribly sorry to hear this happened to your wife and I’m thankful she is ok. Have you notified your Volt Advisor about this? They are a fantastic resource to utilize in this situation. They have a good relationship with Volt dealerships and are able to provide an additional layer of support. If you would like me to contact them on your behalf please send me a private message that includes your VIN and dealership your vehicle is currently at.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
First of all welcome to gm-volt.com
Sorry to hear about your wife's dilemma - not good.
Definitely sounds like a complete loss of 12V to me.
The locked shifter and the fact that 4-ways, OnStar would operate immediately afterwards seems to indicate a 12V battery/charging or major 12V connection issue existed.

Can you please ask her how long the warnings persisted before the complete shut down occurred? And whether she noticed the RED BATTERY warning lamp and/or "SERVICE BATTERY CHARGING SYSTEM" message in the drivers information system? Can she recall exactly what the "High Voltage" warning she received stated? Thanks if you can obtain this, as it would be helpful (to the dealer as well)

What we can tell you here is what your wife has experienced would be considered extremely rare. In fact I cannot recall another case reported here exactly as you describe.
Hopefully you will hear back from the dealership pretty quick.

WopOnTour

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
As hard as it may be to believe.. Gas powered cars can also just "die" when going down the road. It happens all the time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for your comments .I will most definitely post on this forum on the report when I get it.
There were no prior incidents or issues of any kind with my volt before this happened. My first service check was due and I was going to schedule it before the 7500 miles or 6 months both of which didn't hit so far.

There is no benefit for me trolling this forum as I have no connection to the auto industry and I am not even a car enthusiast . Car is just one of mode of transportation for me and I got the volt to get the HOV pass for commute.There I said it.
I appreciate all of your time and answers.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts