GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Volt is replacing a soon-to-be-returned-to-VW Golf diesel. Soon after VW's diesel cheating scandal came to light, VW sent diesel owners two gift cards, one of which is worth $500 at VW dealers. I haven't used that card at all, since there's not much I'd want to buy at a VW dealer.

Now that I have a Volt, though, it's occurred to me that a spare level 1 charger might be handy, and as these are standardized, a VW model should be as good as any, so I could buy one with the $500 gift card from VW. The trouble is that the VW dealers I've called say that there are sixteen different model numbers for level 1 EVSEs, each keyed to particular VINs, and without useful descriptions. I suspect they may be for different markets, and so have different plugs or electrical characteristics; or maybe some are for different VW/Audi models. In any event, I was hoping that somebody here might have an eGolf, Audio eTron, or some other plug-in VW, and could share a model number of a charger that's known to work with the Volt (mine's a 2017) on US 120-volt outlets. Alternatively, if you happen to have some other insight into the mysteries of VW EVSE part numbers, that'd be great.

Thanks for any help on this matter.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The Volt uses the standard SAE J1772 plug. Unless VW has deliberately done something to make their chargers incompatible with other makes and EVSE that has an SAE J1772 plug should work.

Does VW sell a Level 2 EVSE? Having a spare 120V charger seems pointless. A ClipperCreek HCS40 Level 2 EV SE costs $565, if you could get a 240V EVSE from VW that nets out to significantly less that a ClipperCreek then that might make sense.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Don't waste your credit. You can upgrade your stock Volt unit to 240 volt for the cost of some adapter plugs. Since wiring the garage for 240 I never use 120. On trips most motels are not set up to charge on any voltage, making the 120 unit doubly useless.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VW does not sell level 2 chargers, although that would have been a better option, had they been available through a VW dealership. I'd be lucky to put together $100 of stuff I'd want from a VW dealership, aside from a level 1 charger, so it's the level 1 charger or the gift card goes to waste. My thought is to eventually keep the VW charger in my car and use the Chevy charger via a 120/240-volt adapter, semi-permanently installed at home, to get better charge times with it. (Some of this will have to wait, though, since I expect to be moving in 6-12 months, so I don't want to put a lot of money into things like a new 240-volt outlet where I live now.)

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
There are websites dedicated to cashing out gift cards. I would google those and see if that is an option. Sometimes you can get more than 90% of value. But Volkswagen may have flooded the market with that offer.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Should all be standard charging protocols.
I'd consider tires first, though.
Or finding someone who needs VW items that will purchase via you. (I'm assuming it's in your name and not an actual gift card)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Will the gift card work for Audi parts? I've read that the EVSE for the A3 Etron, and its Porsche bretheren, has dongles for both 120v and 240v charging.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've read that the EVSE for the A3 Etron, and its Porsche bretheren, has dongles for both 120v and 240v charging.
This weekend I spoke to an AUDI parts guy, and the salesman most involved in selling those electric things. Sales guy confirmed that the eTron comes with a charger with two input leads, one for 120 and one for 240.

Parts guy quoted me some very unpleasant pricing for the individual parts.....like near to $2000. He says it has to be put together from each part, meaning there's no one part number for the US setup with all its parts combined. The charger unit was 1575, plus the input cords were 250 and 150 (not sure which was which, not that it matters) I just realized that he didn't quote me on the output cord....I bet that's expensive too. Maybe that one's included with the charger....no clue.

Either way, I don't see how that would do me any good for using my VW dieselgate card.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
This weekend I spoke to an AUDI parts guy, and the salesman most involved in selling those electric things. Sales guy confirmed that the eTron comes with a charger with two input leads, one for 120 and one for 240. Parts guy quoted me some very unpleasant pricing for the individual parts.....like near to $2000. He says it has to be put together from each part, meaning there's no one part number for the US setup with all its parts combined. The charger unit was 1575, plus the input cords were 250 and 150 (not sure which was which, not that it matters) I just realized that he didn't quote me on the output cord....I bet that's expensive too. Maybe that one's included with the charger....no clue.

Either way, I don't see how that would do me any good for using my VW dieselgate card.
Audi is a VW brand. However at those prices, I would run away fast - gift card or not!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts