GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to have latest Volt now that it's going away. 17 was a premier with ACC and Nav. 19 is a pacific blue with exactly the same options. Paid almost 4k more than I could have got a left over 18 for and 18 was same deal I got for my 17. Problem is premier 19 in blue red or silver with acc AND Nav go quick within 300 miles of me. They seemed avalable, but dealers said someone had claimed them already. Mine arrived, I claimed 2 hours later and picked up 2 days later. Hard to deal when others are paying full price. Got bonus gm card point and supplier discount, that's it. I'll comment on all the 2019 new options.

Power Seat: only added motors to axis of motion from before. They DID add lower back lumbar adjustability, so THAT is useful and makes the seat better. But could raise bottom, angle back, and move Fwd and back before manually. No power memory, and can't angle the seat bottom up/down like most gm power seats, can only raise whole bottom. I like to tip the front edge of the seat up. Can't do that. Don't really see the point of powering the axis they did as could do this all manually before except for the added lumbar support.

Wirless charger move. Yes! Old location in the arm rest was bad. So small and narrow, modern phones didn't fit well and had to leave arm rest open. With nav option, location is moved to front cubby. Nice and wide, easy to use, and has lips on side to gently hold phone. So much better.

Radio reception : if you live in a city or suburb, you might not know how BAD the 17 was with reception of weak fm radio stations. Honestly even stations not that remote had static and complete loss of fidelity. Know problem as some had antennas replaced to find no help. 2019 radio is MUCH better. Maybe not as good as our 16 Ford Sync 3 that is really great at pulling in stations, but not an embarrassment to the car anymore. Thank you!

Engine run due to temp deferment to - 13: it is still just on/off setting, Was hoping could pick from 30,15 or - 13. I can go to -13 but wife wants it to warm faster if under 15 and depending if leaving town, I may want to use a different settings. Erdtt takes less gas than hold mode as Erdtt seems to idle the engine more, so hold isn't a good a solution. PLUS, it doesn't appear changing the setting affects the car once in gear.(need to check this) That sucks. If have engine running, I would like to be able to disable running when 1 minute from home, as I hate when engine starts up just as I pull into the driveway. Better, but could have been even more configurable.

Faster charge: can see appeal when paying by the hour at a public station. Good change for that. But at home, my 3.6 kw L2 charger stays put. Over night, 4.5 hours is plenty fast enough. I also wonder if a faster charge every night would be harder on the batteries? Since we're sleeping anyway, why risk slamming then with more current faster??

Lane keep: seems to be tuned differently than the 17. Reacts to the center lane sooner. And doesn't seem to 'pogo' back and forth as bad, where the 3rd correction use to send you into the other lane. Software tuning that I would expect after 2 more years of tweaks.

Auto headlights : They stay on low more than the 17 and longer than they should. I really think the low headlights are misadjusted high. As a result, the system sees more flected light off streets signs and takes that as oncoming white heights. Will adjust and see.

Increases Regen In Low: yes its more. It is closer to what could achieve in L WITH the Paddle before. Used to peak at - 50 kw. Now it gets into the - 40s. But adding the paddle doesn't add as large a difference as before. It IS easier to drive around town without having to also use the paddle, so it's a good change. Paddle in D seems like before.

Pedestrian sound : from the cabin, forward seems quieter than before and that's good as I found it annoying before. But now it does it in reverse also. And I find that addition annoying.

New Digital camera : res looks the same as the old analog camera. It might be brighter at night and that's good. Not a huge change in clarity though.

New tire fill alert: dealer sent with 1 tire low (32 psi) suppose to be 39. So car lit up Tpms warning. Easier to find a gas station than go back, so added my own air. (it was very cold out and highest pressure was 34 so maybe they checked in nice warm garage.) Read manual and never got the system to beep horn when got to pressure. Was car suppose to be running or off? Not in manual, so I had in park with brake set and runnung. Don't know how this works. On the plus side, it looks like the Tpms sensors are a new design that responds quick, so just kept looking at pressure on dash display. Worked good, didn't have to get a pressure gauge.

BIGEST CHANGE FOR LAST Infotainment 3: so many good things here, I'm sure this isn't all of them: overall. Snappy, just like mylink was. Not a huge fan of the watered down icons and fonts but this is personal opinion and I'm not a fan on the Ios phone change from a could years ago when they went "flat" icons and this follows that design scheme. Some of the fonts are coud be bigger (all important time and temp) but the volt specific energy summary screen uses nice larger fonts acroos the board.

-can link 2 phones at once and pick the primary phone for outgoing calls. Cool can pick up call front either phone.

-moved screen nav shortcuts to bottom of screen and radio presents to top. I like a I spend more time switching screens to check energy that switching radio stations. Easier to get to.

-nav has updated screen completey. Now black on white. Includess a new map with outline showing how far you can get on available charge. Must have stole from the Bolt as doesn't have option to see how far can go TOTAL using gas also. (click fuel icon to see recharge stations on map and didn't see any withing my range so made me happy I bought a Volt with the gas engine.)

-energy score screen now shows mpg impact instead of "score"

-has a new last 50 mile mpg history screen that looks cool.

-again improved radio reception. Thank you!

-radio station font could be larger. Seems like lots of empty space on the radio page, why the small font?

- one problem :sound on my Bluetooth linked Moto Z2 is way quieter than the radio level. Sound good when playing, and doesn't have hiss even at 1/2 to 3/4 volume level that is required just to hear the music. BUT better turn down the volume to under 1/4 before switch back to radio, or get a scary blast of speaking blowing noise!

That sums it up for now. Wish gm would have made this car until 2021 as I didn't want to trade so early. But I have new with reset warantte period in a Volt with all the latest goodies.

Should I have got a 18 and saved 4k? Maybe, but the radio would still suck(and believe me in our location, I hated it every day) and the seat would have not had the comfort of lumbar adjust. Pacifc Blue is a nice new rich color. Plus all the other little tweeks.
Me

·
Registered
248 Posts
'17 to'19 here too, and generally agree with the assessment but perhaps a bit more enthusiastic about the improvements.

Regarding the phone audio setting, in the Infotainment 3 that is a different setting than the source, navigation, etc. audio and is influenced by the bluetooth audio level set on the phone that is active during a call. I had the same complaint until I realized this and adjusted the phone properly. Not there is no volume level differential between the phone and music. (Windows 10 phone; yours may behave differently.)

Oh one other Infotainment 3 improvement: the split home screen showing audio on the left and the map on the right. Swipe to get there or hit the home button to toggle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the pointers on the radio and Bluetooth, but android after the last update now changes the volume slider on the phone when adjust radio. Assume Ios is the same because playing on my phone and linked to wife's also, when adjust vol on radio, a slider shows up on her iPhone showing vol being adjusted. (go Windows phone for doing this right).

As for the others, if I seem critical, I have to justify an additional $4k as that is the current price difference over '18 with the same options but different color in my area of 250 miles.

On seat, adding lumbar to manual seat would have made it the same for me. If before it was a 2.5 hour seat (time to sit before gets uncomfortable on trip) it is still the same for butt. Back feels better, but a bit too narrow for my 175 lbs butt. Power doesn't help.

LOVE new radio reception. Almost worth $4k alone as couldn't really fix old one with an aftermarket as too integrated.

Tire pressure beep thing would be great, but the one time I probably needed it this year I couldn't get it to work.

Faster charge is also great, but I like most in the Midwest I assume, charge at home 95% time. Thus is WHY we have a Volt, so we can use gas if forced to. By me, I publically charged my '17 3 times in 17 months. One time it would have made a difference as they charged by the hour. We have crap for public chargers and one reason I CAN'T do a Bolt or Testla: no way to get to our cabin and charge along the way. Tesla says "we're working on getting you there" when tried to route on website.)

Really like the new infotainment 3 features, but the general trend of white backgrounds and plain icons across the while computer/phone industry is not for me.i know, am wrong here as EVERYONE is going white with simple fonts. I personally liked the white on black of mylink. Black background it less distracting. Opinion. Wold take features of the new system, just not a fan of the while industries font/color choice. (Ford Sync also has white and terrible choices).

Maybe in a bit down because this one needs waranttee work already and the '17 never went in. 6 hours into ownership the infotainment screen starts freaking out when the car is cold. Dealer closed of course. It breaks sync and toggles up, down with a flicker. And there is a TERRIBLE rattle in the back on our wonderfully rough locals roads we didn't hear until 10 miles from home. Also the boot in the shifter is assembled tight so pulling into L is hard.

Being just made, I'm hoping I didn't get a disgruntled workers problem machine, where the '17 was great from a problem point.

Just a bit worried as it's too late to go back.

Me

·
Registered
897 Posts
Maybe in a bit down because this one needs waranttee work already and the '17 never went in. 6 hours into ownership the infotainment screen starts freaking out when the car is cold. Dealer closed of course. It breaks sync and toggles up, down with a flicker. And there is a TERRIBLE rattle in the back on our wonderfully rough locals roads we didn't hear until 10 miles from home. Also the boot in the shifter is assembled tight so pulling into L is hard.

Being just made, I'm hoping I didn't get a disgruntled workers problem machine, where the '17 was great from a problem point.

Just a bit worried as it's too late to go back.

Me
You'll get the kinks worked out and love it! We wish we could have waited one year instead of getting our 2018, 14 months ago. Of course we didn't know of the improvements to come, and really needed a new car at the time too.

That rattle in back may be just that the bump stops for the hatch need adjusting. Ours rattled when new also. They don't always get adjusted properly at the factory. You can turn them easily by hand.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I also wonder if a faster charge every night would be harder on the batteries? Since we're sleeping anyway, why risk slamming then with more current faster??
While it seems to make sense that a slower charge would be more beneficial to battery life, that seems to not be the case with Lithium ion. Remember the charge rates of the latest high end (luxury) models coming out of Europe are talking about 450 Kw chargers, worrying about battery life variances of 3.? Kw and 7.? Kw. is nothing. Assuming proper cooling/amp rating of the cars charge speed is not important like battery SOC. Cell Pone users run their phones to zero and charge them up to 100% on a regular basis and wonder why their batteries die in a year and a half. What matters most is keeping your state of charge as close to centre as is practical.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the detailed write-up.

Does it look like the new wireless charging pad can be easily fitted onto a 2018? Wondering if it was an extensive redesign of the center console piece, or if they just placed the pad onto the tray that is already there on our older models. Looking to see if my 2018 can be easily updated to the new pad since I have to buy the new gen 2 charging module anyways. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Oh one other Infotainment 3 improvement: the split home screen showing audio on the left and the map on the right. Swipe to get there or hit the home button to toggle.
So glad to see that the '19 Volt went BACK to what my 2013 Volt had. Only took 6 years.

I'm in the same boat and considering whether to get a '19. You're right -- there are NO DEALS on them. Flying off the lots so I'm real glad you did this write-up. Two questions:

1) Did they also go "back to the future" to the Gen 1 Volt by adding "real-time" HVAC system energy usage? On the Gen 1, they gave you a climate "%" which gave you the how much of the maximum kw usage the system is currently using, it also indicated whether heat or A/C was currently being used.

2) Are the darn speed limit signs any more reliable?

Good news on the crappy radio reception improvement.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hello,

Never sat in a Gen 1, so I'll take your description and say NO, did not go back to the future. They changed the SCORE on the Gen 2 to be an estimate of the loss/gain in MPG vs. some startard that must be = 0. Screen looks alot like the score screen on 16->18 but now I guess they tell you the milage impact instead of a score number.

2. Don't know about the speed limits. The UI of the Nav is completely new from the '17. One thing I don't like is when start up, the Nav isn't available right away. It says DOWNLOADING TRAFFIC and the like. Maybe after the OnStar expires this will go away? Takes 30-sec to 1 minute. Wonder what will happen at my house were I have no cell AT&T Onstar service? Will have to check and report back.

I like the changes: RADIO Reception = YEA!, seat lumbar support, wireless phone charger WAY more useful, ERDTT being able to set -13f, overall Infotainment 3 with is being over-the-air updatable MIGHT be a plus going forward if GM sends updates like Tesla (ha, ha, ha)

Me

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the detailed write-up.

Does it look like the new wireless charging pad can be easily fitted onto a 2018? Wondering if it was an extensive redesign of the center console piece, or if they just placed the pad onto the tray that is already there on our older models. Looking to see if my 2018 can be easily updated to the new pad since I have to buy the new gen 2 charging module anyways. Thanks in advance.
The pad MIGHT be placed in the 16--> 18s. There doesn't look like any mount changes to the radio/ climate console. I read somewhere the new system supports newer phones. My phone is having a wireless charging problem, but it is the phone. In the old one it stopped charging and it wasn't on the compatiblilty list, but it use to work. It seems to work on the new one, even with the hardware problem I think the phone itself has.(Moto Z2 with Wireless Back)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hello,

Never sat in a Gen 1, so I'll take your description and say NO, did not go back to the future. They changed the SCORE on the Gen 2 to be an estimate of the loss/gain in MPG vs. some startard that must be = 0. Screen looks alot like the score screen on 16->18 but now I guess they tell you the milage impact instead of a score number.

2. Don't know about the speed limits.
Thanks! I'm lukewarm on upgrading. Granted, I would enjoy getting the last model year and a new car--who wouldn't--but I can almost break even on my '17 with the deals on the '18 going around. The idea of getting a brand new volt for almost nothing after tax credit is definitely intriguing, even if it's not the vaulted '19.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for a really comprehensive write up!

Did you / do you have a Volt with Adaptive Cruise Control? I have a '17 Volt and I'd be interested in knowing if there have been any ACC improvements. My biggest irritation is when the driver in front of me turns right. My car slows to a crawl and then, finally, my Volt decides that it's time to speed back up. The driver(s) behind me are probably wondering why grandpa drives a Volt.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thanks for a really comprehensive write up!

Did you / do you have a Volt with Adaptive Cruise Control? I have a '17 Volt and I'd be interested in knowing if there have been any ACC improvements. My biggest irritation is when the driver in front of me turns right. My car slows to a crawl and then, finally, my Volt decides that it's time to speed back up. The driver(s) behind me are probably wondering why grandpa drives a Volt.
Agreed! I had a '17 without ACC and now have a '19 with ACC. The first thing that I had to get used to was the combination of the new, more aggressive regen on "L" with cruise. I'm used to getting to my speed, tapping the "set" button and removing my foot from the accelerator pedal with the car holding at my set speed. There is a time gap between tapping "set" and the cruise holding the speed, and in that gap, the aggressive regen tends to slow the car down a bit before cruise takes over and accelerates back up to the set speed. To compensate, I now tap "set" and wait a beat before letting off the pedal. Small stuff to get used to ;-)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Both my Volts had/have Adaptive cruise. Got it on the 17 and updated wife's Caddy Srx from a '11 to a '15 Srx and this feature was a must have!
I know what you mean on the wait and then accel when someome leaves your lane. Haven't had enough cases to see if this still happens. I do feel like it is turned to come in a bit smoother when come up on someone going lots slower. But out of our 3 current cars with adaptive cruise, the '17 Volt was already the best at this. The ' 19 even better. ( 16 Mustang GT with stick and adaptive cruise is the roughest at this. Yes can get a Mustang with adaptive cruise, but a rare beast to find used)

Me

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
The OTA updates are going to be for the infotainment system. GM has not yet enabled OTA updates for anything that could affect a vehicle's driveability.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Sure wish I could find a "deal" on a 2019 Volt Premiere so we could flip our 2017. It's looking like a Honda Clarity PHEV might be our "flip" later in this year. What a shame that GM killed the Volt.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sure wish I could find a "deal" on a 2019 Volt Premiere so we could flip our 2017. It's looking like a Honda Clarity PHEV might be our "flip" later in this year. What a shame that GM killed the Volt.
Classic Chevrolet in grapevine TX has nine 2019 Premiers in stock. Maybe they'll make you a "deal".

·
Registered
502 Posts
Classic Chevrolet in grapevine TX has nine 2019 Premiers in stock. Maybe they'll make you a "deal".
I'll check them out. Thanks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I checked their website, and they're asking MSRP on all of them. Not much wiggle room there!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts