GM Volt Forum banner

If you had a company gas card, would you charge at home with no reimbursement?

• Yes - I would charge at home and run the EV motor more often

Votes: 37 66.1%
  • No - I would use the gas card and run the ICE more often

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • 50/50 - I would charge every other day.

Votes: 5 8.9%

Company Paid Gas - Would You Charge at Home?

5236 47
I have an interesting situation on my hands. My company issued me a gas card that I can use at most gas stations. They will not reimburse me for electricity at home. I am on a TOU rate with another EV in the house, energy cost is 11 cents per kWh (so figure $1.32 per charge session with overhead), working out to about 3.2 cents per mile on EV for my driving situation.

Gas is "free" per mile, but there is the strain on the ICE to be considered I guess, along with pollution.

I'm currently charging at home (and work) so I end up only using the gas card for longer trips.

If you had access to "free" gas, would you pay to charge your Volt?
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
704 Posts
I prefer the serenity of electric driving, I'd pay to charge at that cost. I'm not sure where my cutoff is, but it is > $1.32 a day.

· Registered
295 Posts
I'm looking at the least expensive method of transportation. Zero cost (gas) still beats cheap electric. I would demonstrate the cost savings to the company to promote electric reimbursement.

· Registered
3,913 Posts
Nope. If your company is too short sighted and stuck in their ways, let them pay.

· Registered
1,056 Posts
Unless your company, and you, are breaking the tax laws the cost of the gas you buy is not FREE. It is a taxable benefit - been there, done that. So now it is a comparison between the income tax on the value of the gas card benefits and the cost of your electric use. Depends on your tax "bracket" as to which is dollar-wise cheaper. Cost to the environment is something else, with the arguments always being very cloudy.

VIN # B0985

· Registered
6,211 Posts
What is the gas card for? To keep from paying mileage reimbursement? I assume you didn't get the volt from the company too. GE went green in buying their employees fleet Volts and also giving gas cards. That ended badly.

On a tou plan, are you paying more than $1.00/recharge? Do you buy coffee at Starbucks or brew it at home? I would fully pay for the electricity and charge nightly. Isn't that the point of Volt ownership? Otherwise, get a nice econo car about the same size ang Gasser up.

· Banned
7,821 Posts
As much as I like reducing my gas consumption, if I were in your situation, I would fill 'er up with dino juice on company dime. I would still try to opportunity charge (for free) when possible.

· Registered
1,067 Posts
I like the approach RaPo takes. Perhaps this will lead to a change in thinking that is certainly due.

· Registered
2,722 Posts
I would turn down the gas card and use the tax deduction for the business miles driven per year. IRS allows $0.575 per mile driven.

· Registered
395 Posts
The only way companies are going to understand any benefit from the Volt/Bolt/ELR concept would be to compare "Joe" with gas/electric to "Terry" gas only. You get the benefit of driving dreamy when in electric mode. The company wins either by being able to show others (their customers?) that they're going green or by lowering operating costs to shareholders because their employees are willing to contribute on a very modest level. The people handing you the card and reconciling the books might even be able to show their superiors the actual dollar benefit and get recognition for noticing.

· Registered
425 Posts
I would spend my couple of bucks per day to charge the vehicle (and also do what MTN Ranger suggested if I was in USA).

Correct me if I am wrong, but if I understand many of the articles discussing TCO that I have read, running as much on the electric motor as possible (and using regen braking) is one way to minimise wear and tear on the ICE portion of the vehicle and therefore keep traditional servicing costs down (especially brake pad replacement and oil change costs). There will still be those costs, but likely less frequently.

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would spend my couple of bucks per day to charge the vehicle (and also do what MTN Ranger suggested if I was in USA).

Correct me if I am wrong, but if I understand many of the articles discussing TCO that I have read, running as much on the electric motor as possible (and using regen braking) is one way to minimise wear and tear on the ICE portion of the vehicle and therefore keep traditional servicing costs down (especially brake pad replacement and oil change costs). There will still be those costs, but likely less frequently.
Great point. Is there a cost per mile figure on running the ICE, excluding gas and tires? I guess that's service (oil, preventative maintenance, spark plugs, brakes) ?

· Registered
13,358 Posts
I like the approach RaPo takes. Perhaps this will lead to a change in thinking that is certainly due.
I have a different approach than RePo on this one. If I were broke, then I would charge the gas card, but if I made any sort of decent living, I'd pay for my own electricity since it (1) isn't that much (2) might be beneficial to the environment {it all depends on how the power is generated} and 3, at least with a Gen1, the smoothness of all EV outweighs the attempt to save a few bucks and dealing with the ICE causing noise, vibration, and harshness.

· Registered
2,713 Posts
I would just use the card for lomger trips, but my commute is only 6 miles 1 way. If you had say a 60 mile commute and were burning gas anyway, I would just use gas card and only charge at work. What you could do is charge at home and try to get them to donate to some clean energy project.

2,530 Posts
I've seen the opinion expressed that, after a while, Volt owners would grow tired of plugging in and just start using gas. That's not even remotely true. Running on battery is strongly preferred. Judging by the poll results so far, it seems it's preferred even when the gas is free.

· Registered
10,014 Posts
I've seen the opinion expressed that, after a while, Volt owners would grow tired of plugging in and just start using gas. That's not even remotely true. Running on battery is strongly preferred. Judging by the poll results so far, it seems it's preferred even when the gas is free.
It's kind of like Tramadol. Once you had some, you never go back to aspirin.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.