GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Volt for about a month now and totally love it!
I drive about 100km per day to work and am using almost the full charge to work and then gas engine on the way home. It is all highway driving. I've been reading up on the mountain mode and it seems it would be better to use this on the highway and the switch to normal mode with around 20 km to go to get home. Is this a practical solution or is it better to use up all the charge on one trip and then just use the gas on the way home. I don't have the option to charge up at work.

·
Super Moderator
6,244 Posts
I've had my Volt for about a month now and totally love it!
I drive about 100km per day to work and am using almost the full charge to work and then gas engine on the way home. It is all highway driving. I've been reading up on the mountain mode and it seems it would be better to use this on the highway and the switch to normal mode with around 20 km to go to get home. Is this a practical solution or is it better to use up all the charge on one trip and then just use the gas on the way home. I don't have the option to charge up at work.
Just experiment yourself. Report back. Lot of variables in each persons drive. People like quiet electric drive in slower or suburb traffic.

Key point is don't pull in home with any battery miles left no matter what.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
You might be able to game a slight efficiency benefit if you can work it out so you are using battery on more non-highway segments. But the trade-off for that is you may be warming the engine up more times to do that, and you might return home with charge remaining in the battery. The engine is not efficient while it is warming up, and it also produces more air pollution while warming up, plus the most wear and tear happens then. For those reasons, it would also be a good strategy to try to minimize the number of warm up cycles. For your commute, that may be just driving in normal mode all the time. That is also the easiest thing to do and it allows you to focus more on driving and watching traffic. Getting into a single accident will erase years of trying to save a few ml of gas each day.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I have to do this type of "commute" on occassion. What I do for these is use Mountain Mode to hold a few miles for surface street driving near the turn around point and then stay in Normal all the way back.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
That's pretty much the type of route/length I have on my once a month trip to car meeting. Start out at 36 mph road to highway and at half battery I switch to Hold. When I get back into city I switch to battery. Sometimes I charge up a bit, sometimes not depending on weather (I have to walk a few blocks, good exercise if not raining). I leave to go back, exhausting battery at some point and pull into drive way on empty battery. This uses all of battery once a month for any algorithm reset, exercises the engine to circulate fluids and keep gas fresh so I never get any of the engine maintenance modes running.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hold leaves the battery at whatever charge state it is when you turn the mode on. Mountain mode uses the gas engine to inefficiently restore charge to a preset level (as well as to move the car), in case you need it to get up a "mountain". If you live where there's few steep rises, Mountain is the most wasteful of any mode. As the manual says: Hold on the highway, Normal elsewhere.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Leave early one day and do the whole trip at 50mph (whatever that is in metric) You should see a huge rise EV distance compared to 60-75mph highway speed MPG. Use gas for highway part as its most efficient at speed, electric is most efficient at 50mph and in town driving.

Also start out in hold and get your engine coolant temp up to 190-200F using it for heating the cabin. then use eco mode in electric to maintain the temp with minimal amount of draw on the EV side. Max mode for heat or defrost with suck down a bunch of battery power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts