GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My trusty Voltec L2 EVSE has been providing daily sustenance for my '13 Volt since late-2012. It has recently started showing its age and I fear that it might be nearing the end of its useful lifespan.

As such, I'm starting a preemptive search for a replacement.

Anyone have any comments on the ChargePoint Home? It appears to be available via Amazon for $499 (hardwire version with 12' cord) which is equivalent to what I paid for the Voltec nearly 4 years ago. It also adds some interesting 'net-connected features that might be useful but not necessary.

http://www.chargepoint.com/home/

Thoughts? Other recommendations? BTW, I know I can modify the 110v portable charger that came with my '17 to work on 220v, but I would rather leave that one in my boot and mount an L2 to the wall in my carport.

TIA!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a hard time recommending AGAINST Clipper Creek. They're over $100 cheaper across the board compared to this model - and that includes a 25' cord.

I have had situations where I've needed the length, and have never had a situation with a Volt where 20 Amps was insufficient.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Actually, we've had to devise a means to manage the excess cord for our Voltec as the car's front end is literally about 3 feet from the charger and we hate having excess coiled on the ground to walk over, etc... I've never needed a longer cord, but a shorter one would be even better! Plugless would be awesome, too, but our carport floor has too much rebar in it.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Plugless would be awesome, too, but our carport floor has too much rebar in it.
Ya might want to recheck that. There are solutions such as a pad to raise the transponder away from the rebar a little.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya might want to recheck that. There are solutions such as a pad to raise the transponder away from the rebar a little.
Back when Plugless Power made their solution widely available, I had them send a surveyor to my home to verify that it would work and their tests concluded that my carport floor was unsuitable. They offered no mitigation options other then ripping up and re-concreting my floor. Now that I've replaced my 2013 with a 2-17, I'm kinda glad I didn't invest in the system as the part that installs on the car would need to be swapped or upgraded.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I picked up a ChargePoint 32amp charger a couple of weeks ago and while, yes, it is more expensive than other brands, it seems to work well. I like the tie in with the smart device app that tells you how much the cost of electricity it will be based on your providers power plan.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I really like my Clipper Creek Level 2 charger.

That being said, I saw some L2 EVSEs on Amazon for $349. Fortunately, my level 1 can be converted with a dongle for L2.

·
Registered
384 Posts
JuiceBox = Value. Save money and gain capacity.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the Chargepoint home EVSE. I absolutely love it. Yes, I know that it is more expensive than the others on the market, but I think that it's awesome that I can see exactly how much charging is costing me based on my utility's rates.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the Chargepoint home charger and have been very happy with it. The Smart app integration is a nice bonus.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the comments! I'm just about ready to pull the trigger to get my new charger since my Voltec is becoming a tad unreliable. About 6 months ago, the plastic shroud on the plug end that surrounds the charge pins came off. I attempted to glue it back on but must have not gotten it perfectly aligned. It worked fine with my 2013 but on the 2017, the plug clicks in but I have to wiggle it just right to get the car to start charging. I'm concerned that it un-wiggle itself overnight and I'll wake up to a less-than-full battery. That, and the plug strain relief is cracked from nearly 4 years being outside in the Florida heat (no reference to a sports team).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Back when Plugless Power made their solution widely available, I had them send a surveyor to my home to verify that it would work and their tests concluded that my carport floor was unsuitable. They offered no mitigation options other then ripping up and re-concreting my floor. Now that I've replaced my 2013 with a 2-17, I'm kinda glad I didn't invest in the system as the part that installs on the car would need to be swapped or upgraded.
Gadgett - Loboc is correct, in the time since we surveyed your property we have developed a concrete shield. Plugless will work fine in your space. Drop us a line and we can discuss other details about the Plugless for gen 2 Volt system.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Here's my setup.
Where did you get that nifty sign? I see a green version at Amazon. But I like the looks of the black one better.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts