GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new trimmer/wheed whacker/brushcutter but I've developed a dilemma out of it.

Let's start with the requirements..

1) Trimming the spots, edging, ect. e.g. basic trimming stuff
2) Clearing the places which are non-accessible to ride on mower
3) Clearing under fence growth for electric fence (horsies)
4) Clearing up young forest occasionally

Got a half hectar plot for the house and 40 hectars mixed farmland/forest so the obvious choice would be brushcutter. But a split-shaft trimmer would have the option to use brush/knife cutter/edger/ect. and would be quite a lot easier to handle on the trimming side with the D-bar instead of brushcutter with a J-bar. Large volume clearing would then of course be easier with the brushcutter & J-bar and the pistol grip is easier for the hands when you put few hours into it.

Have broken some windows due to flying debris on old brushcutter (Shtil FS 560 C-EM or whatever it was at 5-10 years ago - that thing throws rocks up to 50 yards) so split-shaft with a knife head might be good option to avoid that. But then again, split-shaft won't cut any trees.

Motorized broom might be good in the barn to clear out hay & ****, which the brushcutter can't do..

Currently I'm looking either:

HUSQVARNA 325iLK - Husqvarna Trimmers 325iLK
HUSQVARNA 535iFR - Husqvarna Ruohoraivurit 535iFR

I'll pull the trigger on next week on either one, so any comments would be fun to read for the debate in my head.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After long consideration I bought the 325iLK with scissor head & blower. Although the scissor head is coming in a month or so

Trimmer runs well, two meter high stinging nettle or small bushes/this years growth on trees are not a problem. Blower is excellent (better than a dedicated Husqvarna one) and throws twice the fist sized rocks around. Goes around 50min or so with the trimmer, 30mins with a blower on Bli300 battery. Just enough to charge up next one with QC500 charger.

Spent last 8 hrs trimming, pretty heavy on the hands after 5-6 hours.

Reactions: scottf200

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
440 Posts
If looking at electric string trimmers, I would also consider one by EGO. They have a good reputation. They have a backpack option to put the battery weight on your back instead of your arms.
Personally I use an older Stihl FS85 and really like it. It's been a faithful and tough workhorse for over 10 yrs. I have the full shoulder harness and handlebars which really makes a difference in fatigue reduction by letting your body carry the weight instead of your arms.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EGO was on my watch list also, but last year went with the Husky chainsaw due to the 20m/s chain speed compared to 12m/s on the EGO. Now both have upped the speed and EGO does 13m/s and latest Husky model goes to 24m/s. You can throw 16" blade on both.

Husky have had the backpack battery also for past 8 years or so.

EGO topped one trimmer comparison already in 2016, but doesn't have the service network or full distribution in here. Don't know if their stuff if IPX4 for the rainy days. For batteries they give 1200 cycles compared to Husky 1500 cycles on similar prices. Both give 1 year warranty for professional use.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1mo update.

Love the trimmer. On average it's comfortable (for me) to use for 4-5 hours per day, you could probably use it straight 8h per day with more practice. The bli300 battery makes it back heavy so I'd actually recommend the smaller bli200 (or bli200x). Balancing it on the bli300 with adjustable handle bar makes the two hand grip somewhat too tight for my preference (80cm extension might work to balance it though).

Already have the reciprocator attachement on order, but deliveries been delayed from mid-july to end of august. Will take the edger on the same go. Brush attachment I'm thinking, but not yet having the buy-in since the horse **** & hay stills moves with a shovel and broom (although the electric motor would be great in closed spaces like the stable...). Hedge trimmer attachment I'll prolly skip and get the separate tool for it when the ligustrum / baccata fences grows to cutting height.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts