GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else receive a notice in the mail about them charging an additional $50 fee on our next registration? The funny thing is, they seem to say that they don't know if our vehicles are EV or not, and its a voluntary thing to say they are. So we pay $50/annual is exchange for a sticker? With a tiny bit of research I see that full EV's have the same charge to offset fuel taxes. But I still buy fuel (about 4000 miles this year), so that's a bit off to have a dual-fuel vehicle paying the same amount.

Anyway, since it seems to be somewhat voluntary, I'm thinking I'll just skip it unless there's some benefit they are actually providing. Not to mention the hypocritical nature of offering an EV credit at the state level and then charging on the back end - get your priorities straight - encourage or charge, but not both.

·
Registered
867 Posts
It does seem a unfair to charge a Volt owner a fee because it is an electric vehicle and yet the Volt owner will still pay additional taxes if s/he buys gas, plus paying taxes on the electricity used to change the vehicle.

A more fair tax, if there is such a thing, is to charge based on vehicle weight and miles driven.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
In Virginia we now have to pay $64. I don't find it unfair for EVs, however this even applies to all hybrid cars as well, even hybrids with poor gas mileage.

I admit, I should pay some tax since I've driven 37,000 miles and bought a grand total of 5.7 gallons of gasoline in nearly 2 years. I'm all for paying my fair share, however we do not want to a disincentive for people to drive more fuel efficient cars.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Taxes serve 2 purposes

1. to charge more as a disincentive to a product or service to shape consumer choice

2. to makeup for shortfalls in excessive government spending

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
1. to charge more as a disincentive to a product or service to shape consumer choice
I guess that means Virginia wants consumers to stop driving hybrid vehicles????

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
We have also received the missive from the totally inept Department of Revenue. I have read the gobblely gook over and over and this is very infuriating. Some parts sound like it is voluntary and others don't. I don't intend to comply and don't need their sticker for public charging that does not exist. Like you I still use gasoline from time to time and while I don't mind paying a bit extra for road repairs, this one size fits all approach is wrong headed. Seems to me that taxes should be based solely on weight of the vehicle and miles traveled. This should be a part of the income tax process since the same department of the state government is in charge of both areas. Looks like it is time for another letter to the Gov, the last one seemed to be effective. The Department of Revenue had been sitting on our tax return for six months then processed it within 3 days of my email to the Hick.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, Colorado does give you up to $6000 additional tax credit. Down here in Alabama, all you get is a dirty look. ;)

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
It would logical and fair to impose on all vehicles (excluding emergency, agricultural and some recreational) a graduated tax based on weight, number of wheels on the road and miles driven per year to pay for road use. But do law makers use logic or fairness? I wonder if the take would be less applying such a tax and, therefore, is not acceptable on those grounds to the law makers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We all sort of knew there would have to be a surcharge for electric vehicles, given the drop in gasoline tax revenue. I think it stinks but it makes sense. The roads have to be built and maintained so the money has to come from somewhere. I believe here in N.H. the registration fee is based on the vehicle weight but a gas tax increase is in the wind, which has almost no support. It wouldn't surprise me to see a surcharge on electrics as part of the state budget in the near future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts