GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the lane departure and collision detection system

The lane departure works perfectly, however the collision detection does not seem to go off no matter how close I get to the car in front or how I adjust the distance.

I called the chevy dealer and they said the camera MIGHT need to be re calibrated, has anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
777 Posts
Are you sure it is turned on? The button on the steering wheel enables it and sets the sensitivity.
Do you see the little green car in the dash when a car is detected in front of you?
Does it turn yellow when you get close?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, yes I have cycled through the modes, off, close, closest, more close ( i didnt memorize the seconds) lol and tested it over the last week, I saw it work 1 time, out of the 7-8 I tried it

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
It is not necessarily how close you are to the car in front. I can get close to a car in front of me on the highway and as long as we are going at the same speed nothing happens. However, the detection does go off when I am approaching the car in front too fast. In this case it is a possible collision.

It sometimes goes off around a sharp corner or from a shadow as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interesting ok. I will try that then, I just want to make sure its working before my warranty runs out.

thanks 2voltfamily

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm not sure that "trying" to approach a car too fast and risking a collision is such a great idea. Does the little green car in the center display turn yellow when you get close? If so the system is likely working fine.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
It is not necessarily how close you are to the car in front. I can get close to a car in front of me on the highway and as long as we are going at the same speed nothing happens. However, the detection does go off when I am approaching the car in front too fast. In this case it is a possible collision.
Right. In my experience, it will only go off if I'm quickly approaching a vehicle in front me AND I don't have my foot on the brake pedal. (This tends to happen when a car in front of me is slowing to turn right at an intersection, so I'm coasting and purposefully gaining on them before they complete their turn.)

It also seems to be more sensitive when the car in front of you has their brake lights on. (Although I'm not sure if this is actually true, or if it's just a false perception on my part.)

·
Registered
112 Posts
the idea is....when the system detects a car in front of you it displays a green car in the dash display. If the system thinks you are following that car too closely the green car turns yellow. If the system thinks a collision is imminent then a sound and a flashing red light alerts you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Right. In my experience, it will only go off if I'm quickly approaching a vehicle in front me AND I don't have my foot on the brake pedal. (This tends to happen when a car in front of me is slowing to turn right at an intersection, so I'm coasting and purposefully gaining on them before they complete their turn.)

It also seems to be more sensitive when the car in front of you has their brake lights on. (Although I'm not sure if this is actually true, or if it's just a false perception on my part.)
This has been my experience the couple of times the alert has gone off. I also wondered if the car can "see" the brake lights.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If you see a little green car on your dash, then the camera can see there's a car in front of you. If you're trying to test whether the detector is working, that's harder. You not only have to be close, but actually getting closer, quickly. If, you're just tailgating, that won't set off the detector, since you're going the same speed, presumably.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the video miredian, and yes KenC, I think your right, the camera is counting seconds as it should, but its very hard to "test it. I guess it is working, just not as I expected it too.

THANKS ALL

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
thanks for the video miredian, and yes KenC, I think your right, the camera is counting seconds as it should, but its very hard to "test it. I guess it is working, just not as I expected it too.

THANKS ALL
Go to a parking lot...stretch a line between two poles that clears the roof of your Volt...hang a nice clean bed sheet on the line...then accelerate at the sheet and determine if the sensors go off

1 - 15 of 15 Posts