GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In November 2016 I got a Kinetic Blue 2016 LTZ with black leather and all the safety options. When I drove it out of the lot it forecast 34 EV. After a few days in warm weather I was up to 58 EV. As it gets colder I've found the EV drops to as low as 48 when I pull out of the garage with a full charge. Since out weather here on Long Island has been so weird (from 14 degrees to 60 degrees) I can watch the impact of the temperature. Those of you who own a Volt know all this already, so I'll just mention it for any readers who are thinking about getting one. Get it.

Cold weather isn't an issue. I've found two things noteworthy as I drive the Volt in cold and snow. 1) cold driving just makes the engine come on to help heat things. It comes on and goes off even at 14 degrees by itself. Above 30 degrees the engine doesn't seem to have to come on. 2) Driving a Volt on snow and ice feels like driving on bare dry pavement. The first time I drove up my 30 degree incline driveway in snow I didn't know what to expect. What I got was perfect traction and no slippage.

My 1984 Camaro Berlinetta V8 is now my Sunday car. Bought her new and I still love her, but my Volt is quickly becoming my second baby! ...and the more people drive in it the more they are beginning to believe in the electric car revolution too. The best quote about my Volt: when I took it to the car wash the first time the guy who signs them in put his hand on the hood and asked "Is it on?" Ya gotta love it. It was my baby's first wash and this guys first electric customer.

Love My Volt
Tom

· Registered
43 Posts
Went out for a bit of a drive today and realized for the first time what the electric range could be. In-city driving, speeds maxed at 45-50 for bursts, but mainly around 40, temp @ 52-56 degrees, fan only @ 74 deg with steering heat.

Dash info: 34.7 miles, 7.1 kWh used. Nice!

· Registered
660 Posts
Glad to see you've overcome your gas aversion so soon! Cheap gas helps. It takes many of us much longer! After a honeymoon year with my Volt I'm almost able to just drive it, be warm, and range be damned. Even in its worst case it kicks ass on any ICE, and Spring's on the way!

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: Summer brings ER back.

Well, it's been about eight months since I got my 2016 Volt and here's a temperature update. Cold weather drops the range to about 45 or a bit less. Spring weather got me up to 60 miles ER. In summer with outside temperatures around 85-88 the ER is about 58. Not too shabby! :)

· Registered
251 Posts
UPDATE: Summer brings ER back.

Well, it's been about eight months since I got my 2016 Volt and here's a temperature update. Cold weather drops the range to about 45 or a bit less. Spring weather got me up to 60 miles ER. In summer with outside temperatures around 85-88 the ER is about 58. Not too shabby! :)
So, that would seem to vindicate the 53 rating of the Volt. It's not overly conservative after all. It's a blend of winter and summer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.