GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nine months of ownership for my 2018. When the weather was warm, my electric range after charging said 63-65 miles. Now the weather is cold (30s and 40s) and it's dropped to 45 miles. I expected a drop-off but that seems pretty big. Is that normal? Thanks, all.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Lots of threads on this. Lots reasons range drops. Heating is biggest. Cold air is thicker, more resistance. Lubrication is thicker (more friction). Tire harder (more resistance to rolling). Virtually everything uses more energy. Happens with ICE cars too but since they are only 30% efficient anyways, the drop is less noticeable.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You are pretty lucky. Mine has gone from 110 km down to 55 km SO, that is cut in half. I use heat a lot more now that we have freezing temperatures. Nothing to get concerned about.
How would you feel if you had a Tesla M3 with the big battery and could ONLY get 150 miles at most! Without any backup ICE? Love the Volt even if the mileage per charge drops in the winter. It always gets me to wherever I want to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In CT and same for me. Went from 60-70 mile range and down to 40-50. Playing around I'm back up to about 60 miles. I was able to increase range by parking in the sun when possible so I don't need to use the heat as much. The sun really keeps it warm in the car! Otherwise I precondition when possible. Obviously when it gets frigid I wont be as fortunate and I'll make sure I'm comfortable!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
It's probably normal if you are using alot of heat. If it's mid-30s, I expect a 12mile drop in range on my Gen 2. Try preconditioning, using the seat heater and steering wheel heat, and limiting how much you run the heater.
Nine months of ownership for my 2018. When the weather was warm, my electric range after charging said 63-65 miles. Now the weather is cold (30s and 40s) and it's dropped to 45 miles. I expected a drop-off but that seems pretty big. Is that normal? Thanks, all.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Sounds pretty normal to me, in fact we got as low as 35 miles last winter, our first with our 2018. We use snow tires and make full use of the heat to stay toasty.

Last winter we only had Level 1 charging, and now we have Level 2. Preconditioning should be more helpful for us in maintaining range this winter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts