GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon Yall, 2017 Volt owner for about 2 months.

It was 36 degrees this morning and I decided before leaving, I would try to precondition the car. I started it with my OnSTAR app and 10 minutes later when I got in, it was toasty warm. The car was plugged in all night with the 240V charger and I thought that the car would take the necessary juice from the plug to warm the car. Normally I would get about 59 miles on the guessometer but today I got 48. Is there something I'm doing wrong, maybe a setting, or is this normal ? It sucks that Im losing almost 10 miles just by warming up the car. Or is it the outside temperature doing this ? I don't want to know what i'm gonna get in range when it's -4

·
Registered
926 Posts
It's just the GOM taking into account the colder climate. Batteries operate peak when "warm". Ignore the GOM for a minute and take not of the charge meter (the green one, the blue one is for gas tank level). If you've got all green bars present, you're good and the preconditioning shouldn't have had a huge impact since you have Level 2 charger. If you read around on the forums, you find that after the 10 minute precondition is done, you'll need to give the car a few minutes to top-off the battery from Level 2 (don't even bother with Level 1) charger.

Also, whatever HVAC you had set when you turned your Volt off would be what you precondition with (with some exceptions I think if you have some of the auto HVAC functions turned on).

Another data point to see if you're actually using all of your battery, observe the Energy usage screen (the one with the colored ring that is mostly green for driving, some blue for HVAC, I think yellow for "other"). It also shows how much energy you've consumed. It should at least show 14.0-14.4 kWh used by the time you need to charge.

Point of reference, August overnight lows of 60F netted me 62 miles EV range according to the GOM. Now, with 45F lows, I get 53 miles EV range. Same exact HVAC settings (I like it cold), same exact commute, same passenger load, same road conditions (dry).

If you want to get your GOM up, from what I've found around the forums, you can take advantage of the battery's internal resistance during charging: set your charging to complete by your commute start time. That way, the battery will have juuuust finished charging when you leave your home and still warm from the charging. This should increase your GOM, I think.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
The Gen II Volt heater can draw up to 7KW of power. The charger on the Gen II volt is 3.6KW. So the max the Gen II Volt can draw from the grid is 3.6KW. So if the heater is taking the full 7KW the balance of that power will come from the battery. After the precondition the car will charge back up if you leave it for ~15 mins on 240V, ~35mins on 120V.

The estimated range is not a good indicator of the state of battery charge as it is just an estimate. Did your display tell you how many KWh you used? As others have stated the range estimation might have simply re-calculated because of the intense climate use.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
The real question is how many miles did you actually get from the battery after that? That number floats hence the term Guess-O-Meter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts