GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help?!?! I have a 2012 Volt, with just about 70,000 miles and recently had a "cold battery plug in to warm it up" message randomly start popping up. If it were winter time I probably wouldn't think too much about it but this has been one of the warmest summers we've had in Connecticut in recent years so a "cold battery" message is a VERY bizarre to me.

My Volt has been reliable vehicle for our family up until this point. It is not stored in a garage so it not sheltered in a cooler/damp area. AND of course, the message frustratingly doesn't stay on long enough for it to pop a code for the dealership to act on either. I now have great concerns with its reliability with this "cold battery" message popping up and the local Volt Technician doesn't know what to do about it. It's very disappointing to say the least. My fear is that a "code" will finally present itself after my warranty coverage expires!

Does anyone have a suggestion OR did anyone get their "cold battery" issue resolved? If so, what resolved it for you? Software update?? New sensors?? New battery??

Thanks in advance for your time!
Debbie

·
Registered
78 Posts
Had this same issue in mine. Bad sensor in one of the battery modules. Replaced one module under the Voltec warranty. The code wasn't present when they diagnosed it. As far as I know, there's a procedure to check the sensor accuracy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response. I'm glad your dealer was able to diagnose your issue without a code. Unfortunately, my local Chevy Dealer doesn't seem to have a procedure for diagnosing this. (Basically they said that if there isn't a code present then there is nothing they can do.)

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts
Thank you for the response. I'm glad your dealer was able to diagnose your issue without a code. Unfortunately, my local Chevy Dealer doesn't seem to have a procedure for diagnosing this. (Basically they said that if there isn't a code present then there is nothing they can do.)
I was hoping your 2012 was part of this recall (which tolerates some sensor errors) but it looks like 2013+. See bold. Wonder if 2012 has something related. (Aside: I had a module replace in our 2011 Volt due to illogical reduce propulsion msgs).

https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?331275-Recall-N1721300462&p=4677909#post4677909

Jaryd Carvell->
Hi friendly neighborhood Volt tech here! As I have tried to explain to so many people in this group. The recall (GM Program #:N172130462 Issued:Mar 28, 2019) is to correct your vehicle from improperly balancing the cells over time. The balance of those cells is part of what is used to calculate the GOM. When they reprogram the module 2 things happen. The vehicle starts to properly balancing the cells again, and the battery capacity learned values are reset. Over the course of multiple charge/discharge cycles the cells properly balance, and then the module relearns the capacity and the GOM adjusts accordingly. If your GOM goes up or down it means that the car had not been properly balancing the cells for quite some time. This process happens much slower without full discharge/charge cycles and so some people the adjustments happen much quicker than others. Also not all vehicles have the same cell imbalance. Even with the bad software some vehicles were staying close to properly balanced and others were quite a bit off. If yours was one that was close to correct, not much will change after the recall. If your cell balance was off, the more it's going to change after the recall. This is why some people noticed almost no change and others have had a change in the GOM. This is also why some people have seen the change quickly and some it took a while. Complete discharge/complete charge cycles will accelerate this learning process.

Oh and one more thing, the 2013-2015 volts have 9 battery temp sensors but really only need 6. There is also software included in the recall that allows the vehicle to ignore up to 3 of the redundant temp sensors if they fail, rather than having to replace them. So there are multiple reasons to have this recall performed.

·
Registered
2013 Diamond White
380 Posts
Would it be possible to show this thread to your dealer? Once they know it is a possible bad battery module sensor, then there probably is a procedure for them to test it.

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts
Had this same issue in mine. Bad sensor in one of the battery modules. Replaced one module under the Voltec warranty. The code wasn't present when they diagnosed it. As far as I know, there's a procedure to check the sensor accuracy.
Do you have paperwork that may help here? (with your personal info redacted of course).
Maybe a PM to OP and she can contact your dealer w/VIN?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your information - I'll contact my dealer to see if this issue can now be resolved for me (fingers crossed!). I really appreciate your time! Debbie

·
Super Moderator
6,364 Posts
That link is in Russian
That is not the way it comes up in my Chrome Browser. End of link URL as "EN" which I think is the English version. See attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
That's weird, the link is going to a different page now. When I tried it an hour ago it went to a Russian page, Firefox doesn't translate it but when I put the URL into Chrome it was translated. Now it's going to a download page.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts