GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know why cold air can come out of air vents when the ac is not turned on. It will last for about 5 minutes than go back to normal outside air temp.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
is auto dehumidifier turned on?

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
correct, when the battery needs cooling the A/C system will run, and you will get cooled air out of the vents
BINGO. And I hate doing this but this is outlined in the Owners Manual.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
does anyone know why cold air can come out of air vents when the ac is not turned on. It will last for about 5 minutes than go back to normal outside air temp.
The battery cooling system uses the AC system, so when the battery needs to be cooled the AC system kicks on for battery temperature control and as a side effect the air from the vents will also be chilled.

Keith

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I asked the same question years ago. As others have pointed out, the Volt has two main reasons to run the ac without the climate being on.

1) The auto (defog) climate has not been turned off (totally defeatable by turning off)

2) The Volt has decided it needs to cool the battery for whatever reason. This is pretty much automatic in temperatures of 90 degrees or above. (totally not defeatable) I personally drive with the windows down almost all the time but in very warm temperatures such as 90 or above when the AC automatically kicks in, I simply roll up the windows and use the cool air the Volt is sending my way anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts