GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm intentionally placing this in the Politics portion of this forum instead of the Solar forum for reasons you'll see in the two articles listed.

Please see:: City will increase its use of solar power

Please see:: Conservatives seek to overhaul energy agenda

...a coalition of conservative politicians led by San Antonio Rep. Lamar Smith — the powerful chairman of the House Science, Space and Technology Committee —
San Antonio's electric utility, CPS Energy - wholly owned by the City of San Antonio - has a stated goal of a portfolio that contains 20% renewables by the year 2020.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
The subject of article 2 was probably just another fool who thought Solyndra was a scam and Al Gore was just opportunist who knows a cash cow when he sees one.

There is nothing incongruous to proceed with green technology while being accountable for tax money. All it takes is REAL research and a good BS detector. Something the last administration had no interest in purchasing.

$10 spent wisely does more work than $100 given to con-men.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Ok, I'll just throw it out there that the US government has been, IS, and needs to be in the future, in the business of loan guarantees and subsidies to stimulate targeted policy goals. There are plenty of foreign governments willing to step in and do the same, with even more direct funding of goals to stimulate growth. But I also agree with the phase out periods. Free market competition is necessary to establish long term fair pricing. Hence the debate, how long is that period?

We cannot sit back and ignore the fact that foreign governments are today making deals with US manufacturers by setting up factories, infrastructure, transportation and labor at subsidized cost, to win their business. At a local level, there is healthy competition between states and cities to incentivize companies to build or re-locate within their jurisdiction. It's how business works. For the US gov to ignore this and step aside is dangerous.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Ok, I'll just throw it out there that the US government has been, IS, and needs to be in the future, in the business of loan guarantees and subsidies to stimulate targeted policy goals. There are plenty of foreign governments willing to step in and do the same, with even more direct funding of goals to stimulate growth. But I also agree with the phase out periods. Free market competition is necessary to establish long term fair pricing. Hence the debate, how long is that period?

We cannot sit back and ignore the fact that foreign governments are today making deals with US manufacturers by setting up factories, infrastructure, transportation and labor at subsidized cost, to win their business. At a local level, there is healthy competition between states and cities to incentivize companies to build or re-locate within their jurisdiction. It's how business works. For the US gov to ignore this and step aside is dangerous.
How to you stop lobbyists and con men from grabbing all the funding?

So far we as a nation suck at that. We are very good at writing checks, but lousy at putting the right name on the Pay To The Order Of line.

China solves that with long prison terms and executions. We offer book deals and visits to the White House.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
This doesn't surprise me. Up where my family is, most people are extremely conservative, drive around in big pickup trucks, and think that Al Gore is a hypocrite, chicken-little trying to cash in on "fake climate science." However, they have no reservations about putting in 100 kW solar arrays to offset the power bill for their businesses and equipment.

How to you stop lobbyists and con men from grabbing all the funding?
First, you vote out of office every Congressman who voted to allow Congressmen to receive bribes from lobbyists and special interests. Then bring back an ethics committee, and give it teeth. The whole reason government officials are paid far more than the average American is so they have less incentive to sell out to private interests and foreign powers. Apparently, six-digit salaries is not enough.

·
Banned
145 Posts
This doesn't surprise me. Up where my family is, most people are extremely conservative, drive around in big pickup trucks, and think that Al Gore is a hypocrite, chicken-little trying to cash in on "fake climate science." However, they have no reservations about putting in 100 kW solar arrays to offset the power bill for their businesses and equipment.

First, you vote out of office every Congressman who voted to allow Congressmen to receive bribes from lobbyists and special interests. Then bring back an ethics committee, and give it teeth. The whole reason government officials are paid far more than the average American is so they have less incentive to sell out to private interests and foreign powers. Apparently, six-digit salaries is not enough.
But Al Gore is a hypocrite, chicken-little trying to cash in on "fake climate science".

·
Banned
145 Posts
Guess who just installed a solar array? :cool:
All I need now for you to further judge me is a pick-up truck, right? The financial benefits of owning solar, does not prevent people, even those who own pick-up trucks, from calling out bogus science and alarmist spreading fear and hysteria. I have been fairly successful in pointing them out in the climate change thread, while being personally attacked by the alarmists who can't defend the bad science and even ask me to quit using science in my posts. One person spent his time defending NOAA and personally attacking me and my data that disproved his claims, saying my research data was from an unreliable source. I then asked him to look closely at the graphs because he would see that they were created by NOAA and published by NOAA. See what I'm up against.

My advice to angry alarmists is to take a vacation for the next four years. We all know that this administration will not be signing climate change agreements, or making speeches about how climate change is the biggest threat to U.S. national security, or how the arctic ice will be completely melted by 2014 (oops). Pipelines that were delayed after being 99.9% built, will be completed. Coal miners will go back to work. Fracking will continue to produce natural gas. At the same time, solar and wind projects will continue. Since 85% of renewable energy comes from hydro power, perhaps environmentalists will get out of the way and allow hydro dams to be built, rather than protest and ask for existing ones to be torn down.

Screaming at and attacking fellow Volt owners and solar system owners on this forum the next four years is only going to cause alarmists to act more like children on a playground. Just enjoy your Volt and wait four years. Maybe you can vote for someone who will return to quoting bad science and wanting to tax you to pay for actions they know won't change the climate, but will make you feel better. The election had consequences. I am thankful that one of them is skeptics were heard and bad science was exposed.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
We are living in an era where tax funded research scientists are paid for "proving" government positions and most are DNC-dependent union members who play follow the leader. Government leaders themselves are funded by unions and outside interests to begin with, not the working class.

So now we have a feeding frenzy. You can no longer trust scientists who claim 'diversity and social justice' is the most critical area of the sciences today.

If the DNC needed to prove the world was flat to gain political power, there would 100+ universities fighting over the grant money to prove it, and they would indeed 'prove' it. And anybody who showed a picture from the moon in public would be branded as a racist hate monger.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
We are living in an era where tax funded research scientists are paid for "proving" government positions and most are DNC-dependent union members who play follow the leader. Government leaders themselves are funded by unions and outside interests to begin with, not the working class.

So now we have a feeding frenzy. You can no longer trust scientists who claim 'diversity and social justice' is the most critical area of the sciences today.

If the DNC needed to prove the world was flat to gain political power, there would 100+ universities fighting over the grant money to prove it, and they would indeed 'prove' it. And anybody who showed a picture from the moon in public would be branded as a racist hate monger.
That is why it is so important to weigh different scientific studies from many different countries. The international scientific community is very diverse, and as a whole, they are very trustworthy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts