GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with code P1EBA (along with PE100) with a 2011?

* Pressing Start button the "Initializing... Please Wait" screen takes a while
* The amber engine light illuminates once the Volt in in "start" mode
* Traction Battery is depleted but Engine doesn't start
* Engine doesn't start with the hood up

When I attempt to search for P1EBA, I can't find any results.

* This Volt has no other history of codes.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Short answer is I don't think we've seen these codes. Can you charge the car? Before trying that press and hold the Power button until the car shuts down. Then turn it on. Then turn it off.

Should the HV battery be depleted?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply.

I'm attempting to 120V charge, but I'm not sure if the Volt is "accepting" the charging -- when I connected the EVSE I did not get any beeps at all. :-(

I tried holding the power button and restarting, yielding the same results.

Should the EV battery be depleted? Yes, yesterday I drove longer than 40 miles (about 500 miles) since the last full change.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:) I called OnStar. As today is Independence Day, I didn’t think they’d be able to find some place that could help me today.

I was trying to resume my travels after spending the night at a hotel when the Volt wouldn’t restart. At the moment I seem to be stranded in mid-voyage.

I was hoping I was doing the “press and hold” trick incorrectly or I could attempt some other “hey, try this…”

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I am concerned your 12V battery may be low and preventing the charge.
Maybe try connecting to another vehicle via some jumper cables directly to the battery -then see if it will start charging.
(remember the car must be OFF and in Park)
The DTC P1EBA is related to a current sensor within the battery pack, but it shouldn't disable the car. (reduced power mode only)
(P1E00 is just a "generic" code indicating a system fault is present)

Assuming you can get it charged and operational again, if it continues to detect a fail, you will need to get the car to a dealer.
WOT

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
There's likely a Chevy dealer open somewhere near you if only to sell cars on the 4th, and you might get lucky that their service department is open. It's worth a try. Call the Volt Advisers at 877-486-5846

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Holland Patrick:

* Thank you for the information on the codes. There's quite a bit there, so I 'm still reading through it :)

* Yes, I got the codes from OnStar.

* I thought I read "jump start" might work if the dash did not light up. My dash is illuminating when I press the start button, so I had not attempted it yet (I didn't think it would apply).

* Since plugging in the charge cord (about 45 minutes ago), the "charge light indicator" has remained dark, not solid, not blinking. Using RemoteLink from my phone it seems that the battery values have reset -- they're either zeros or dashes. Battery: Low, EV Range: 0, Total Range 106 (because of gas). The 120V/240V indicator shows "0V".

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called AAA for a jump. They should be here shortly. Hopefully that'll do the trick :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm certainly new here but I've been trying to absorb as much as I can lately. Seems like 12V battery issues have been common? One thing I remember reading was trying to reset the system by removing the negative battery terminal.

Off topic but has anyone used the batteryminders? I use them all the time on our ICE cars and lawnmower and swear by them.

·
Registered
273 Posts
sounds like what i had about 3 months ago.

i returned to the car in a downtown parking garage and found the DIC said 0 miles range (it had fully charged just before). The car would not start. Had to get it towed to the delaer 35 miles away.

They said the 12V was low….. measured at 8V the following morning, The tech applied some reset procedure because a protective latch had been tripped (which implied a jump or recharge of the 12V would not have helped).

my 2011 was ready to go the same morning. nothing since then.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Upon further review the "jump" may not rectify things. The presence of the DTC may be preventing the HV contactors from closing and therefore charging operation.

If the jump is unsuccessful and in the absence of a scan tool to "clear" the current status of the DTC you could (if you wish) try this:

1. Make sure the car is OFF , unplugged, all doors, hood, hatch closed for min 15 minutes
2. open the rear hatch and access and remove the negative 12V battery post for 1 minute (you will need a 10mm socket and maybe a screwdriver to spread the clamp a bit to remove)
3. reinstall the cable- close the hatch
4. attempt to power up the car

This MAY be enough to open the secured "latched" nature of this DTC. Otherwise it will need to be electronically cleared by a suitable scan tool.

HTH
WOT

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you, everyone, for your various suggestions, information, and links.

My Volt is scheduled for a "vacation" with a dealer tomorrow. I'll try to post an update tomorrow.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Volt arrived at a dealership and a Volt Advisor became involved (thanks Kimberly !).

As multiple people guessed the issue preventing the Volt from starting was with the 12V system.

Just like what can happen with an ICE vehicle one of the cells in the 12V battery failed.

After replacing the 12V battery in the back the Volt started right up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts