GM Volt Forum banner

CNN Money Story: Volt goes 1000 miles betwee filliups.

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  solar_dave 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Well, while they covered the story about what GM is saying, they dished the Volt at the same time. It will be very interesting to see how the same media reports on the plug-in Prius next year. I would be willing to bet it will be a much more glowing report.

#3 ·
Probably "Prius goes only 10 electric miles between filliups. It goes the other 990 miles burning gas."

Raymond

#4 ·
"While there's no reason to doubt GM's claim -- 1,000 miles a tankful could be easily achievable if drivers recharge their cars' batteries frequently -- it doesn't necessarily mean drivers are really paying a lot less per mile to drive, said Jeremy Anwyl, chief executive of the automotive website Edmunds.com."

I wonder what his definition of "a lot less" might be?

#5 ·
I am paying a LOT less for driving than ever.... here is one typical trip and destination with my Volt. I get about 43 miles per charge driving the highway to Miami, and that cost me approx 90 cents, so let's just call it ONE dollar. That distance in my RX300 uses about 1 1/2 gallons, which now costs close to SIX Dollars in gas! If I drive there only twice a week, then after a month the savings is 40.00 on that first half of the Miami trip alone ! Around town here I never use gas, so every 43 miles of local driving saves that same amount of money with the elect vs gasoline cost factor, approx 5.00 in savings for every 43 miles of local driving which is exactly the reason this car was built.

Steve in Boca Raton #313

#6 ·
Steve,
I wish I paid what you pay for electricity!
The article was quoting their calculated cost per 25 miles. They say that on gas, the cost is about $2.75 and on electric it's about $0.99. They follow this up by saying that in some areas it may be more expensive to drive on electric, depending on the utility rates. Yeah, if the rate was $0.33/kwh. Does anybody pay that? Plus, it seems to me that the areas with the higher electric rates also have the higher gas prices.

#7 ·
$0.99/$2.75 = 36%.

I may be way out on the limb with this, but I think most people would say paying only 36% (a 64% discount) of what it would otherwise cost in gas is "a LOT less".

Only Edmunds.com would label a 64% decrease in cost per mile as "not a lot less". One wonders why CNN did not question this asinine assertion. Or, maybe the electric vs gas price comparison info was just that?

#8 ·
Highest consumer electric rates in the lower 48 are in the Northeast. CT has some rates that are around $0.24 - $0.26/kWh. Which for the worst AEL of 25 mi in the dead of winter it would cost ($0.25/kWh * 12kWh = $3.00) which for an equivalent car that made 25 mpg it is still a savings of 25% (assuming $4.00/gal). And that is WORST case on most accounts and electricity is still cheaper.

#10 ·
Actually in California they have TOU rates mid day of $0.56 Kwh.

Fortunately I have off peak rates of $0.056 and daytime solar generation that is free (75-80 Kwh per day on a cool sunny day). I have yet to pay my utility anything this year and have a 3000Kwh credit on my bill for a summer AC usage up coming.

#9 ·
And let's just continue to ignore the national energy security benefits of reducing oil consumption. That has zero value for the naysayers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.