GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-985672

I guess the above link to CNN will work.

This is a video essay I put together which is less of a political-rant as a video I have on my YouTube account "AskMeAboutMyVolt..."

With all my hollerin' I've done in the past year about "jihad-juice" and our military having to be the "cops of the world" guarding middle eastern oil producers... and then nearly puking when I saw George Bush walking along, hand-in-hand with the Saudi Crown Prince a few years ago, maybe my less political and more "economic" approach to why folks should own a Volt will make more sense to people... But then again, I am just the Local Village Idiot on a goat ranch here in Texas, and what the fuzz do I know? (I know it hasn't rained and my 59 acre "petting zoo" is getting mighty mad... and so is a geezer who has to haul feed to them in a $40,000+ car :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
The link worked, and loved it!

By the way, my brother had a '72 Plymouth Duster and called it 'Dusty'. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
The link worked. It's funny-- I just put three gallons in my wife's Volt. It's
the first gas we have put in since December--and she commutes 42 miles
per day, RT. I tell people about not using gas for 6 months, while using
the car everyday for commuting, and they don't seem to
believe it. Maybe they can't wrap their heads around it.

BTW, nice cloud time lapse at the end. I'm assuming GoPro?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The link worked, and loved it!

By the way, my brother had a '72 Plymouth Duster and called it 'Dusty'. :)
1972... Good year for MoPar and... I was coming home from Vietnam...
Cost of a new home: $30,500.00
Cost of a new Plymoth Duster: $ 5,300.00
Median Household Income: $9,697.00
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.10
Cost of a gallon of regular gas: $0.36
Cost of a dozen eggs: $0.52
Cost of a gallon of Milk: $1.20

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe they can't wrap their heads around it.
BTW, nice cloud time lapse at the end. I'm assuming GoPro?
Thanks.

I think you are right and I can't understand why we all are not seeing more Volts on the road. For me, "it" clicked and didn't take me long to wrap my hands around a steering wheel on a Volt,

I used three different cameras. A cheapy from Bell & Howell about the size of a very fat cigar, an old Sony TVR 730 camcorder I bought around 1999, and my iPhone 5. The software for the timelapse is called "iStopMotion Pro" with the old Sony attached by firewire to my old Mac laptop. I let the Volt sit all day out in the sun at one frame every 60 seconds, using about 6 hours of capture for the 30 or so seconds I used in the CNN iReport piece.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I really like it but where are the goats? LOL! :)

YEah it is really great, I think the wife and I combined have used less than 50 gallons in 2 years and taken a couple trips in mine, and had 2 FMM in hers ( she is pretty unhappy about that BTW LMAO) I got lucky on my FMM as I had about a 200 mile round trip to Casa Grande and Rooster Cogburn's Ostrich ranch (weasel deal) the next day when the FMM popped up, that cleaned up the remains in the tank and I did the trip with about $20 fuel add mid trip.

BTW she messed up on her last FMM by not adding enough gas in to double the remaining amount in the tank. It the just stayed in FMM, She was very irate that she then had to burn off a sizable portion of that to get a proper add to the tank.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really like it but where are the goats? LOL! :)

YEah it is really great, I think the wife and I combined have used less than 50 gallons in 2 years and taken a couple trips in mine, and had 2 FMM in hers ( she is pretty unhappy about that BTW LMAO) I got lucky on my FMM as I had about a 200 mile round trip to Casa Grande and Rooster Cogburn's Ostrich ranch (weasel deal) the next day when the FMM popped up, that cleaned up the remains in the tank and I did the trip with about $20 fuel add mid trip.

BTW she messed up on her last FMM by not adding enough gas in to double the remaining amount in the tank. It the just stayed in FMM, She was very irate that she then had to burn off a sizable portion of that to get a proper add to the tank.
The FMM was totally new to me, and when it happened, I parked my Volt in the garage for about 10 days, just to make sure I could hit the one year mark.

I probably should have shot a scene of me loading up goat feed in the back of the Volt and driving out into the pasture of my Petting Zoo feeding my horned creatures, but I was concerned that Neaderthals would think I was making fun of Dodge pickups and come looking for me :)

FMM, next year I'll know better... But this year I'll actually be on a couple of road trips burning jihad-juice.

·
Registered
678 Posts
You should have burned off all the gas with the FMM and only put back in 2 or 3 gallons. After that the next FMM will be for half of what is in the tank.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey Sterling Silver,

(Dusty on Volt-stats?)

Thanks! Just an outstanding video production!

I’m passing the link to all my friends – is it on YouTUBE? (Perhaps get more exposure?)

Jim Hock (Siesta Key S-Hock!)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should have burned off all the gas with the FMM and only put back in 2 or 3 gallons. After that the next FMM will be for half of what is in the tank.
Good idea... but I'm on a road trip in a week or so to Austin and back, around 400 miles of driving. When I return home, I'll probably re-fill with two gallons of gas then. Up until now, my Volt has pretty much been an experiment for me and I have been very curious just what I could do with it... My first experiment was to see how far I could go, on a single charge from where I live and back home again. I managed to get 71.1 miles (and could have gone 75, but nearly died in the Texas heat last summer when I did this... 100 degrees in a black Volt and too cheap to use the AC, I started having hallucinations and saw bearded men on camels chasing after me in my rear view mirror, as I was driving through the desert in Saudi Arabia... I bet, Bedouins don't like the Volt... at least in my hallucination, I heard them yelling "off with his head" as they had their swords drawn...) So now, I run the AC to prevent a recurrence and deja vu all over again, as Yogi Berra used to say.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Sterling Silver,

(Dusty on Volt-stats?)

Thanks! Just an outstanding video production!

I’m passing the link to all my friends – is it on YouTUBE? (Perhaps get more exposure?)

Jim Hock (Siesta Key S-Hock!)
Jim:

Thanks so much.

This should be the link to my malarkey on Voltstats http://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1791. Although in a few weeks, Dusty will plummet like a lead balloon.

I tried last night to post my video of YouTube but had problems and will try again this week. My ranking on Volstats would not be possible in Florida... Where I live, I only have heat. I don't know if I could be "man enough" to drive a black Volt with no AC in Florida where you have heat AND humidity and mosquitoes.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Great job! Thanks for posting

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
That is what I did, but remember you have to double (+) the amount of old gas in the tank to end the FMM. I ran mine till is said Low then hit it with some fuel.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@ drburns... Thanks very much...

I think me and my old analog video equipment are getting too old to do this much longer... Perhaps my wife is reading this and gets the "hint" that I need an HD Camcorder for Christmas, and perhaps Muscle Milk or a case of high protein energy bars in my stocking too.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I don't have volt yet so I like to ask a question. If you place a 2013 Volt in the Hold Mode with a full charge in the battery. Then just say you have 2 gallons of gas in the tank and you drive until the tank is empty. Will the car switch over to electric power by itself or would you have to press the normal mode?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
I don't have volt yet so I like to ask a question. If you place a 2013 Volt in the Hold Mode with a full charge in the battery. Then just say you have 2 gallons of gas in the tank and you drive until the tank is empty. Will the car switch over to electric power by itself or would you have to press the normal mode?
I believe that it will go into reduced propulsion mode, even with a full battery. Some of the gurus can confirm or deny that.

@ Sterling: Great job! I had a couple of nitpicking video-editing comments, but they were completely wiped away by your usage of "bodacious."

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@ alfon...
I'm just the Local Village Idiot who knows very little about the 2013 Volt.

One of the few things I do know, is my 2012 Volt costs me about per-mile in electric, about what my 1968 Volkswagen cost in gas per miles when I was a kid in high school.

There are a lot of highly intelligent folks on this forum who (unlike me) have never been kicked in the head by a burro, and I suspect one of them will soon provide the information you are seeking.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@ Ladogboy...
I appreciate your forgiveness. I suspect it was that direct blow to my head from my donkey a few years ago (or being sprayed with Agent Orange, in a place where I used to "work" that has resulted in many of the defects I have these days... that or old age :) )

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@ Zeede..
Thanks, it was a lot of work and has resulted in me needing a one hour nap this afternoon between 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts