GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, we have the electric car, that will get the first 40 miles from its battery. Then the CNG engine will kick in, right? :( I have not read that that is true, or that the CNG will be an option.

I do not think flexfuel will go that far. Will it? or can we get the CNG as an option. GM could team up with some folks to make CNG available at the local dealer, or local old school gas station.:eek: CNG is knocking at the door, will GM be ready?
howard, #464

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't see CNG as a near-term option for the Volt, though I'm sure it would be do-able to design and build an e-flex platform that could consume CNG instead of gasoline.

What we have here is a consumer-oriented passenger car, and packaging is a crucial aspect of its success. It has to have as much passenger and luggage room as a conventional car its size, or many people will pass on its fuel efficiency for better packaging efficiency. I think CNG takes up more space per quantity of specific energy stored, and is not necessarily easy to find "down the road" where you're likely to NEED to refuel the Volt, when you go on a long trip. Most CNG consumer vehicles (pickups, mostly) I'm familiar with have dual fuel systems, though that may no longer be the case with fuel injection being the norm... I just remember lots of old pickups with a huge CNG tank in the bed as well as the regular gas tanks underneath.

GM needs to make the Volt a success, so they're going to target mainstream fuel that's available EVERYWHERE. Once the Volt is proven they'll hopefully expand e-flex to other platforms and configurations.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
CNG will not be an option on the up coming Volt. Maybe in the future. The problem with CNG vehicles is that they have very limited range. For commuting, and around town it's fine, but you can't really tour the country with it very easily. Bottom line is CNG has a small fraction of the energy density that gasoline has.

Having said that, it would be pretty neat for fleets and for people that only want to use the car for commuting, to be able to charge you car at home with electricity and natural gas and go for pennies on the dollar. I can see a fleet version of one of the E-REVs being available in CNG. Truth is, if you really want your Volt to be CNG, a conversion would be pretty easy to do. There might be an after market kit that could be developed. There may be issues with the generator set being able to keep up with demand in depleted battery mode though, but if you just driving around town, I guess there won't be a lot of long steep hills to climb.

·
3,689 Posts
Just for those who were wondering what is the Gasoline Gallon Equivalent (GGE) of CNG is it's:

CNG (3600 psi) - .27
LNG - .66

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/vehiclesandfuels/epact/pdfs/afc_docket/conversion_table.pdf

So, you can still get good range if you have an E-REV design and plan for space for the CNG tanks. Remember that the Volt will get about 49 miles per gallon on the highway so to go 200 miles you would need about 4 gallons of gasoline / .27 = 14.8 gallon CNG tank. That is not so bad. If you are thinking mileage in the city the Volt will get about 100 miles per gallon so you only need 2 gallons of gasoline / .27 = 7.4 gallon CNG tank. Very reasonable.

Price equivalent of CNG:

"The national average cost of compressed natural gas (CNG) was 94 cents cheaper than gasoline on an energy-equivalent basis, according the Clean Cities Alternative Fuel Price Report in June 2006. Gasoline was $2.84 per gallon, diesel was $2.98 per gallon, and CNG was $1.90 per gasoline gallon equivalent (GGE). "

http://munews.missouri.edu/news-releases/2007/0216-natural-gas.php

Thus, the size of the tank is not outrageous and the price is likely to be cheaper than gasoline as global petroleum supplies tighten. Additionally, CNG is believed to be safer than gasoline. There is also something for the environmentalists... CNG is a very clean burning fuel (you can even burn an open flame in your house).

Thus, a CNG range extender is very doable and would in fact work out very well due to the reduced amount of on-board fuel that is needed for a well designed E-REV. No, we won't see a CNG option on day one but it's only a matter of if the market wants it. If they want it in great enough numbers GM can build it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
^ spammer reported

S

·
0 Posts
I have gone through this forum its interesting its great to have them.This is the place were we can get lot of information on the cars.Its better to go for CNG it helps in control in pollution.

synjones
Used Cars

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would like to see more ops for the ice like cng, air, diesel, and anything else they can think of maybe not right away but as soon as they can. Go Volt, I cant wait for the show tomorrow morning, go Lyle and thank you for what your doing.------NO PLUG NO SALE----

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am a retired Environmental Program manager with a lot of experience in this type of issue.

CNG should be an option as should a Balard Fuel Cell for electricity production. The Fuel Cells now only have 130 degree F operating temperature.

Also, Flex Fuels are Phony. GM should dump this dead end exept for farm vehicles. I examined the Flex Fuel use in the US Navy fleets of cars and discovered that the mileage was so low (as well as the power) that the sailors who had the option, filled the fleets with regular gas rather than the Flex. To a man, they did not like it and would not use it in their own cars. If you own your own Still, it might make sense but, burning food for fuel is a sin.

Also, even though GM loves ON Star, who else wants it? I've had the option and tried to use it (with great difficulty) and have decided it was a dumb idea with GM politics keeping it alive. Cut your losses and dump this dead end. Internet friendly and MP3 (v. just an iPod) is also necessary.

Forget cloth and go leather as standard. Use cloth as an option (Oh! Another new and great idea).

The plug has to be a standard plug (US) and have an adapter for foreign use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts